Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How loud is an evo with muffler delete?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2004, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How loud is an evo with muffler delete?

With the turbo and the resonator, how loud is an Evo with a muffler delete pipe? Seems as though an srt-4 is pretty quiet without a muffler in its stock form, so how loud could an Evo be?
Old May 13, 2004, 10:17 AM

Do a search for exhaust sound clips and look for the WORKS Axle Back system. That's basically a straight through pipe from the resonator back, deleting the mufler. I've driven a WORKS modified EVO and liked the sound, not too agressive but you can definately hear there's a performance engine at the end of it. Maybe another 15 - 20 db over stock which I think is around 87db.
Old May 13, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

With my works muffler delete you hardly notice at cruise. But it definitily shows up in the high engine speeds like Nellie mentioned. Kind of makes you wonder why there's a muffler there at all.
Old May 13, 2004, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Kewl, thanks for the info...so its not insane enough not to be able to drive reasonably on the street?
Old May 13, 2004, 10:25 AM

Point your browser to here http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/modu...view_album.php

Has a whole slew of exhuast sound clips!

Enjoy.
Old May 13, 2004, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just about to post that link!!! Great little site, gives one a good idea of how things sound.
Old May 13, 2004, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
Kewl, thanks for the info...so its not insane enough not to be able to drive reasonably on the street?
I'm running the Works AB and its not too loud at all. I love it. Louder and meaner sounding than stock but not intrusive in any way.
Old May 24, 2004, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Ok....so now I have the Works DP, IP, AB. I must be getting old because I think it is too loud. Initially, I was thinking of keeping the WORKS DP and IP and getting rid of the AB and replace it with something like the BR axle back. Does anyone thinks that it would make a difference???? Since most of you are saying that the WORKS AB is relatively quiet. So I just went to the link above and saw the my exact setup was at like 101 db. I am willing to switch to another AB if it makes it quieter. How about putting the stock muffler back in place with the WORKS DP and IP??? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 24, 2004, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Dont put the stock muffler back on. Thats the part with the most restricted flow. the Works AB is not quiet, its simply a muffler delete pipe. I was saying that its not too loud for me. Sorry.

I'll assume you are runnning the stock cat. The stock cat is what Works counts on the most for noise supression.

The BR axle back is pretty loud too. How about the BR magnaflow setup? Its supposed to be quieter

Hmmm... if you decide to sell the Works DP and IP, let me know - I'd be interested in buying them!
Old May 25, 2004, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

I have the BR Magnaflow catback. When I first got it people thought I was still running stock. You can only hear a slight sound increase when standing right behind the car.

Now I've added a UR delete pipe. It is significantly louder, pretty obvious standing behind the car but only medium sounding within the driver's seat. Actually idle is pretty quiet, it's acceleration that pumps up the volume.

Next up is a downpipe, and I imagine it will only get louder. I don't mind a medium low grumble but I'm not into the ricey high pitch sounds...