Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wow...the new evo tranny = kickass

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2004, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow...the new evo tranny = kickass

well my tranny cracked (im a safe driver...i think the tranny cracked cuz i learned how to drive stick in it. you can guess that i messed up a lot...) a while ago and after much arguing, *****ing, whining, complaining, etc from me and the dealer, they agreed to fly the new tranny in new evo from japan (well they were originally going to fix it but i did some research beforehand and came across an atorney named David Shutter...Mitsu FEARS him cuz he almost never lost a case with warranties using the Lemon Law...so yeah I just mentioned his name and Mitsu was in my pocket )

Just got my car today after parting with my baby 3 weeks ago and DEYAM, the new tranny is very nice. The gear ratio for first 4 gears were lowered to give even more sickening pull and the 5th gear ratio was raised so that us evo drivers could save gas when we hit the highway. My turbo never stopped cuz i wasn't used to such brute pulling power...but it was fun Now im really impressed with mitsu..THey changed the tranny plate too so that the car starts off way smoother

So if any of you fellas have tranny issues and live in socal, then call ur dealer (assuming you stil have your warranty intact) and just mention David Shutter. Who knows, if you got one of the older evos, you might get a new one like I did

Just some rambling from a very happy mitsu customer

edit: i forgot to mention, since the old evos had Lancer OZ tranny (meaning weakass syncro rings), the new trannys have reinforced & thicker syncro rings...you can guess what that means....*coughcoughLAUNCHcoughcough*

Last edited by TwoMix9900; May 13, 2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old May 13, 2004, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you had them change the ratios? Dayum, I wonder how much that would cost...I'm interested in having a longer 5th gear .
Old May 13, 2004, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

I call bull*hit.
Old May 13, 2004, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

and why woul dyou say that? i have nothing to gain from lying
Old May 13, 2004, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Big difference between lying and being wrong. I don't say your lying, I say you're wrong.
Old May 13, 2004, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

i dont have to force you to believe me. i'm jus trying to alert evo owners of better tranny in newer evos (evos made from feb of 04). if you want proof, go to a knowledgeable mechanic in mitsu dealer and ask
Old May 13, 2004, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

well my tranny cracked (im a safe driver...i think the tranny cracked cuz i learned how to drive stick in it. you can guess that i messed up a lot...) a while ago and after much arguing, *****ing, whining, complaining, etc from me and the dealer, they agreed to fly the new tranny in new evo from japan (well they were originally going to fix it but i did some research beforehand and came across an atorney named David Shutter...Mitsu FEARS him cuz he almost never lost a case with warranties using the Lemon Law...so yeah I just mentioned his name and Mitsu was in my pocket )
it's people like you that ABUSE the warrnty system that sickens me

you admitted you broken the tranny.. and you use some lame azz excuse to get them to pay for a new one..

-joe
Old May 13, 2004, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

for your info, i never drove/drive like a maniac. i was just shocked and speechless on how easily the tranny broke; it had less than 2k miles. i just learned like a normal guy, stalling once in a while and messing up quite a bit at the beginning but i got the hang of it. i dont see how thats abusing the warranty system since it was their fault for thinking that a tranny thats desgined to be in a 120hp car will suffice in a 271hp car, clearly knowing that evo drivers have to be crazy to leave it completly stock for rest of the car's life.
Old May 13, 2004, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But are you serious that you changed the ratios? I really am curious as to how this happened....
Old May 13, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

It seems to me that no tranny could possibly crack from bad shifting. The clutch would go long before enough force was twisted through the tranny to crack it. And even with the stories about the bad clutches in Evos, 2000 miles is fast.

It also seems to me that the drivetrain in the Evo, being AWD and all, probably wouldn't work too well with the tranny from the OZ, when the two cars have in similarity everything but the engine and drivetrain mostly.

Aside from that, I don't think you abused the warranty, because if I tried my hardest, I would think it impossible to crack the tranny. However, as others have said, you're probably wrong on a few facts at least and should lose the arrogance of telling other people to ask their "informed Mitsu mechanics" becuase if nothing else, most Evo owners should have figured out by now that the average Mitsu mechanic is only starting to learn about Evos as they're still so new stateside.
-N
Old May 13, 2004, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Everything I've read on the 04 Evo's has mentioned nothing about a new tranny, thought I was pretty well read, guess I musta dozed off for a while...
Old May 13, 2004, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

New Evo's aint even here. NOT A SINGLE 04 Evo has been shipped to the US. I bought my evo in April n it still said dec 03. Its a FACT.. so WHY would they fly a NEW 04 tranny for you when they can get one from any mitsu lancer plant in US.
Old May 13, 2004, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

i didn't say 04 evo, just the "new" evos made from feb of 04. sides, if im not mistaken, evos are made in japan, so i guess they had to get the tranny from the assembly line in the japanese plant...
Old May 13, 2004, 07:46 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
TwoMix9900,

You have posted on two separate occasions your belief or understanding that the Oz tranny and Evo tranny are the same.

"serious car mechanic problem; weak weak weak tranny. it has the same tranny as lancer OZ (wtf...)...however, Mitsu corrected the problem on February when they made the syncro rings thicker. So you shoulnd't really have problems with tranny unless you bought evos that was made before feb 04.."

'I can't exactly confirm that, but I did find something disturbing about Evos...one of the major reasons why Evo is the cheapest among the car is that it has the SAME tranny as Lancer OZ...I mean wtf, is/was Mitsu that desperate to save cash and jip us off? We're talking about a tranny thats desgined to handle like 120hp vs. a tranny that is suddenly shoved into a car with 271 hp stock...
This explians why my tranny started to grind...=/
Thanks mitsu for the wonderful OZ Tranny

If you want proof, go to a mitsu dealer and ask any tranny mechanic if OZ and Evo has same tranny...I'm getting a new tranny this week (hurray to lemon law) cuz my old one got jacked. That's pretty much how I found out Evo & OZ has same tranny"

I ask you before and I'll ask again, are you serious?

Speedlimit..
Old May 13, 2004, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

umm.. Evo and OZ... DO NOT HAVE THE SAME TRANNY... if the evo had the same tranny as the OZ.. then the sheer power of the evo would have ripped the tranny apart as soon as ne one hit redline. I know a few people who run close to 400-420hp on the evo with the stock tranny. Now i know the OZ tranny.. (pals' got an OZ).. anything close to 200hp will RIPP THAT TRANNY APART !!!!
Not picking a fight here.. just posting some sensible ****...

Quick Reply: Wow...the new evo tranny = kickass