Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Got my G-Tech!

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2004, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Got my G-Tech!

I've been wanting one of these little buggers for awhile now, and finally went out on Ebay and got one. This thing rocks! I used curb weight (car + full tank of gas and filled fluids) + my weight (170 lb).
What I learned:
1. I suck at 0-60 runs - my best is 5.781 sec. But my clutch loves me. I also don't have the ***** to hit 100 mph in the quarter on the short back straight of my apartment complex
2. This thing is surprisingly accurate - I read 219 HP and 212 lb ft. That would be theoretical at the wheels, including wind drag, so assuming a correction factor for drivetrain losses, we are pretty close to what I expected based on crank HP
3. This thing is surprisingly precise! Run after run I'm hitting within about 2 hp! Of course everything from relative humidity, to air temperature, to how much gas is in the tank will affect it, but even day to day it's consistent.
4. When the A/C compressor kicks on we lose about 18 HP
5. The shift light really works!
Anyway, just wanted to post up my feedback on this thing, I'm very impressed.

Gtech Pro Comp by the way.
n8
Old May 13, 2004, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting. I've heard mixed reviews about these things but have been interested in getting one!
Old May 13, 2004, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if u really want to test it, take it to a dyno, and a track... My old g-tech was accurate only for a few hundred runs it gradually got furth off on time but nothing unexpected....
Old May 13, 2004, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

i have one as well. i love it. just watch out that the mount doesnt break.
Old May 13, 2004, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be nice to see how accurate it is compared to taking the car to the track and dyno
Old May 13, 2004, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

comparing it to track times, it is very accurate. you just have to get as close to your EXACT car weight as you can.
Old May 13, 2004, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good to know, might be interested in picking one of these up to see if my mods helped any
Old May 13, 2004, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

thats exactly the reason i bought mine. a lot cheaper than dynoing after every mod!
Old May 13, 2004, 11:43 PM

I have a Vericom VC2000 performance computer. Does the G-Tech use an accelarometer as well? What kind of quarter mile times are you getting? Lauching Evo VERY gently yielded quarter mile of 14.61 @ 103.3 mph. 0-60 in 6.31. I know the et sucks, but the mph indicates the potential. I too would like to Vericom it "on" a real drag strip to compare accuracy. I've been told the Vericom has a .2 sec roll out, meaning my run was closer to 14.4 secs. Was really hoping to land in the 13's. For comparison, my '97 Corvette ran a 13.64 @ 109 mph using the same unit. Fun to learn which launching technique equals best et's! Good move.
Old May 14, 2004, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

I just picked up one this week. What are you guys using for the weight for the Evo? Mine doesn't seem to be accurate with the torque part of the reading, the HP seem close. It was reading something like 266 HP and 480 lb/torque. I did calibrate it for the Evo with 3240 lbs. and yes I do have some mods.
Old May 14, 2004, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

Hey N8 I use 3500 lbs as the setting for mine. I filled up the tank and had nothing in the car except me and a few cd's. I then had the car weighed at a local landscaping place. I used a full tank for the sake of consistancy, even though it of course costs a little performance.

I also found the results (bhp) to be accurate with expected gains posted here on the net.

Turns out the guy at the counter was a licensed race driver and was up on all the stats of the EVO.

Will these mounts pass tech inspection, been wanting to try mine out there???

See ya 6/6 N8????
Old May 14, 2004, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I got mine from LancerShop.com - you might have to call them to get it (not sure if it's on their site) but I took it to the track with me and it was pretty dead-bang with the time slips I got.

Makes every light a little more fun!
Old May 14, 2004, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

I've really enjoyed having mine (GTech Pro Comp) and found it to be a great tool for double checking my butt dyno. I'll be using it do some testing with cam gear settings once I have my new cams in.
Old May 14, 2004, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Yep, it's an accelerometer-type thing. What's up Jer! I saw that you posted about your Gtech awhile back. I think "curb weight" is 3263, then I added my weight (170) so I've been using 3433 lbs, so 3500 is right on!
As far as absolute accuracy, sounds like the 0-60, quarter mi, etc times are within tenths of a second. As far as the "dyno" feature goes, hopefully you all know by reading this board that different dynos put out different numbers, and even the same dyno can put out different numbers if the operator decides to change it's settings. It's close enough for government work

Main thing is being able to assure myself that my car actually did get faster after I put on that fart can, fatty intake and simulated blow off valve sound effect speaker. Oh and don't forget all the stickers!
Old May 14, 2004, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah, and prob won't make the 6/6 race, I've got my first sprint triathalon that day. So I will be racing, but just not the cool kind with the car and all.