Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Might Trade EVO for RX-8

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2004, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just get a used car with good gas mileage for about 5 grand and let it be your commuting beater. Then, you will really love to drive the EVO on weekends. But, this is what I would do.
Old May 15, 2004, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by kataklyzm
bmw=horrible reliability
i scour the e46 forums every now and then. the first e46 m3 had a recall because the engines blew. alot
i had an e46 before. that thing as easy as i drove it was nothing but crap and headaches.

rx8= looks cool, but really weak. i was deciding between that and the evo when i was trading in the bimmer. no power at all (the automatic anyway)

i'd hit craigslist or ebay and get a beater and keep the evo, plus you'll save ins. money by putting the beater as a primary, you keep the evo, an everyone is happy

BMW's reliability is quite good actually. The company is very good about standing behind their warrenties too. There are always going to be a hand full of cars that fail for all companies, BMW fixes them under warrenty without question even when they know you've tracked them. People have had their rotors replaced under warrenty due to warpage from track time and threw in new pads too boot without a question. Anyways, RX-8, 350z, G35, M3, STi, Evo, ect are all great cars and you can't go wrong with any of them. It's all in what you are looking for. Get a commuter car and run it into the ground during the week and have fun with the Evo for the weekends. Just my opinion.
Old May 15, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

ok well I have heard good and bad stories about BMW's reliability, just like you hear good and bad reliability stories for EVERY car. Not every BMW dealer is that great either... the one here in Columbia is horrible, they don't have techs who really know how to work on the cars and they are horrible about warranty work.
Old May 15, 2004, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

i would highly recommend a g35/350z over the rx-8
Old May 15, 2004, 05:08 PM

dont make a dum IDEA guy...

I will stay with my EVO if I wear u
Old May 15, 2004, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Red face

Originally Posted by mjones53
Might Trade EVO for RX-8
Lee K makes good points ... all of which I might've made had I sat down to think about it, but I'm still stuck on my initial reaction, which is: WTF???
Old May 16, 2004, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Before I got the EVO I drove a bunch of cars. There were 2 that I really thought about... Lincoln LS, and a GTO. They both have power, ok handling and comfort.
I drive my EVO to and from work and go places on the weekend just to drive it. It gets way more smiles per gallon.
BMan
Old May 16, 2004, 12:23 PM

looks like I will be keeping the EVO, the trade in value it horrible already. Had the car less then 6 months and they only want to give me like $23500, for a car I just paid $32k for., don't think so.
Old May 16, 2004, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep your EVO and buy my 2002 ES so I can buy an Evo too! Or maybe a ralliart, its showing lots of potential. Name ur price!
Old May 16, 2004, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w00t! evolving member!!
Old May 16, 2004, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

i have an E46, 01 model too, the first year the e46 M3 was made, i heard they all have recalls for blown engines which really bothered me. but so far i havent had any problems with mine, i dont launch it at every red light but every so often i beat it up pretty good too, like last night, i took it up to redline mercilessly for about 20 mins over and over and over again, shifting at 8000, and then drove it home...comfortable car
34,450 miles so far
Old May 16, 2004, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

i like rx8 cause its comfortable and looks nice but performance is just ridiculous
in europe they compared rx to bmw 3 series (330)
and guess what beemer was faster, had better brakes and suspension then rx8
turbo version would improve everything tough
Old May 16, 2004, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

actually from what i heard about the rx8, it outperformed the ///M3 on a road coarse, it doesnt have massive power, and it takes up to 9000rpm to get some good power, but u gotta remember that its 50/50 weighting, the whole engine is 1.3 liters and its entirely behind the front wheels, and the 50/50 weight distribution doesnt change whether u have passengers or not, it outperformed the evo even in emergency avoidance maneuvers and did it smoother than the others
Old May 16, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

The Infiniti G35 coupe is possilby the best looking car you can buy regardless of how much money you spend, in my opinion. It looks so nice, especially with that little factory spoiler. I love my Evo but it doesnt look nearly as good as a G35. Also, the G35 has an awesome interior.
Old May 16, 2004, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

I was thinking about buying a beater for the summer months in Arizona...very, VERY hard on cars, especially forced induction...nobody understands why I bought an EVO VIII and don't wanna drive it. Another thing is daily driver road damage...rock chips, dents/dings, scratches, etc is reduced heavily when only driven a few times a week. I am currently scouring the auto-trader for a used 240SX, Eclipse/Talon, or a Civic with a big motor swap. Something that is already built up and is gonna be fun to drive. I was not impressed with the RX-8 at all. I personally think it's ugly. A G35 would be sweet as hell, but I would be more interested in the GTO at this point...very cool car and a muscle car icon that deserves everyone's respect. Whether it's built in Japan, Germany, or Detroit, if you take care of it, it will last.

Quick Reply: Might Trade EVO for RX-8