Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Might Trade EVO for RX-8

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2004, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoG8r
How about a Neon SRT-4 for a commuter car? =)
Nah. It is a cool little car, but as a daily driver I feel it is even more tiring than the Evo. Nicer interior materials (except for Neon roll-down rear windows), better guages, but the driver's seat is very uncomfortable (it pinches your butt) , it's a very busy and stiff ride, and the exhaust system drones on at highway speeds. As a commuter, it is even less desireable than the Evo.

Cool car though, and a tremendous bang for the buck.
Old May 27, 2004, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Exclamation

I have an RX-8 6 speed, and I am selling it for an evolution 8. Just a word of advice, dont be a FOOL! Mazda is the worse POS company ever, hell they are freakin owned by Ford... whats that tell you!? RX-8 is painfully slow, I must rev all the way to 6000 + rpm to feel power. It has excellent handling. The suicide rear doors and 4 door coupe idea was stupid, I always find myself stuck betwen the two damn doors and always cramped between the doors exiting. Sure it has leather, nice interior, and stuff, but hell the transmission BLOWS (uses Miata transmission) and it got recalled a matter of fact. The airbags are recalled, the engine is recalled... what next... those are pretty serious recalls. The RX-8 is getting more and more common, and the depreciation of value rate is insane. I must have lost like 4000 in a matter of months on its freakin recalls.

My company has 2 G35 Coupes as company cars, I drive them frequently. One is manual 6 speed, other is Automatic, I would say I have at least 2 hours experience with both behind the wheel. One is minorly fixed up with mods on the manual, its pretty fast, comfortable and luxurious, but doesn't have the sporty feel, which being younger, I lean toward. I must say I do think it makes decent power as you feel the torque, however I do not like the handling and the general "FEEL" of the car, feels like I am steering a pirate boat. It looks great outside and with a few mods will be fast, but that thing is Heavy with a capital "H."

I also commute to work 80 miles a day in my RX-8 6-speed, in traffic, highway and street and I would say on a good day of driving conservatively, I would get about 18 MPG on street, 20-21 MPG on freeway, which is pretty bad. If you drive spiritly, like I do, looking at 13-15 MPG, or worse. Its a fun car, comfortable and definately good looking, but its not that powerful and lacks torque considerably.

That car is the WORSE possible investment into a vehicle next to a PINTO. Please advise.

Last edited by ImportUpgrade; May 27, 2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old May 27, 2004, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by maki
i dont believe that
underpowered rx8 with iffy (comfortable) suspension outperformed M3?
which m3 was it cause sure as hell it wasnt '01-04 M3
Watch the Top Gear episode of Rx-8 and 350z. They both got the same track time as 01-04 M3...
Old May 27, 2004, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

I have had my Evo on the track with all 3. The Evo & M-3 are stronger, altho the RX8 & 350Z are no slouches.
Old May 27, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dream Came True
I used to have RX-7 and its engine died. Rotary is not design to last too long. Need to overhaul in 50,000miles or less. Buy something cheap for commute and keep Evo for weekends. You need to deal with your ego when you drive POS.
My buddy had an RX-7 that lasted 160k miles before the engine went...the trick...The RX-7 motors burn a very little bit of oil to help lubricate the apex seals (the ones at the top of the triangle edges.) Most people who know about this oiler convert the oiler to a 100:1 2-cycle oil system, and 100:1 is meant to be burned. The motors really seem to like this oil better for apex seal lubrication.

jcnel.