Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Latest clutch info?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest clutch info?

What is the latest greatest on the big clutch dilema? Have we heard from the ACTman? Mine is getting worse(2nd owner)at 12k. I am just curious as to what to do. I will go aftermarket if necessary but still have warranty left-
Old May 14, 2004, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Buy a new one! Didnt know there was a dilema. 10k here no problems beat it like i stole it .
Old May 14, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Does it chatter under normal street use?
Old May 14, 2004, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

yes. Mine chatters when I don't give enough gas....it has done this since day 1.

30k, original clutch still going strong.
Old May 14, 2004, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

almost 10K and no real problems.... couple track days, and more then a few drag strip trips...

i mean don't get me wrong.... it has a tendancy to slip here and there... stink of skunk.... occasional chatter... but as far as working, its holding up alright for what it is....

the horror stories make it seem like a few hard launches and the clutch disc is going to rip right through the tranny and come up throught the floorboard only to cut your right arm off....
Old May 14, 2004, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

yep i got chatter when i am light on the gas. I pay no mind to anything my car does. If the clutch goes i am going to upgrade thats all.
Old May 15, 2004, 05:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Michael Adair
What is the latest greatest on the big clutch dilema? Have we heard from the ACTman? Mine is getting worse(2nd owner)at 12k. I am just curious as to what to do. I will go aftermarket if necessary but still have warranty left-
ACTman here. There has been a lot of talk, mostly rehashing old news. What's the question?
Old May 17, 2004, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Actman, I spoke to David (inside sales?) on Friday he was extremely helpful and thorough in explaining the chatter issue to me. He suggested changing out the clutch line to stainless for better feel or changing the valving (aka drilling out) in the resistor that Mits is using to protect against overuse. I am probably oversensitive to the issue but, is does irratate. Should I simply live with it and if so, is it going to increase the wear rate on my clutch? I have no mods, will not mod, and will not or have not drag launched-

Thank you, Michael
Old May 17, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

...He suggested changing out the clutch line to stainless for better feel or changing the valving (aka drilling out) in the resistor that Mits is using to protect against overuse. I am probably oversensitive to the issue but, is does irratate. Should I simply live with it and if so, is it going to increase the wear rate on my clutch? I have no mods, will not mod, and will not or have not drag launched
Drilling out?!? No need, you just remove it, no drills required. www.evomoto.com has a nice writeup of how to install the stainless clutch line and remove the restrictor. I don't have much extra time on my hands, so I just had my dealer perform the surgery (bought the clutch line myself). After an initial clutch pedal re-adjustment, the clutch now definitely feels better ... much easier to accurately tell when and where the clutch is engaging.
Old May 17, 2004, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

I did see that mod on their site. I too have no time and will use my dealer. I am still wondering if that resisitor should still be there as protection. Not needed?
Old May 17, 2004, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Actman, I spoke to David (inside sales?) on Friday he was extremely helpful and thorough in explaining the chatter issue to me. He suggested changing out the clutch line to stainless for better feel or changing the valving (aka drilling out) in the resistor that Mits is using to protect against overuse. I am probably oversensitive to the issue but, is does irratate. Should I simply live with it and if so, is it going to increase the wear rate on my clutch? I have no mods, will not mod, and will not or have not drag launched-

Thank you, Michael
If it were mine I would remove the restrictor and control my own destiny, but that's just me. If I want to sidestep the clutch at 6000rpm, I will take the responsibility for being stupid. If you drive it right you don't need the restrictor. I am not convinced the mods will fix the chatter issue. It is unusual for the stock clutch to chatter at all.
Old May 17, 2004, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks-