Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Chassis pop? Ajyone have this?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chassis pop? Ajyone have this?

Chassis is popping...or something is making this noise. Anyone hear the same thing?I just installed the RS-R catback and HK-S downpipe.....was listening to the car with the radio off and I notice this stupid popping out of place noise...everytime I turn left or right...come to a dead stop and roll slightly...sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car....so I thought it might be some stuff in the trunk....took out everything and the noise is still there.....Now I can't seem to figure out if it's coming from the underneath the rear of the car or the front like the tranny.....it sounds like a pop like someting is hitting something or something is flexing....I was thinking that the Evo has chassis flex at low speeds? Can't be!
Old May 14, 2004, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

this could be the sound of either you exhaust moving around and hitting your bumper or your downpipe moving around hitting something. i heard getting some kartboy exhaust hangers might help the exahaust from moving around.
Old May 14, 2004, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mostlikely its the exhaust hitting sometihng... make sure the driveline is clear of it
Old May 15, 2004, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

i have the same problem, although only once in a while. I would be accelerating, and then take my foot of the pedal (usually in first or second gear ) and then I would hear a pop. At first I though it was the backfire of the pressure in the exhaust or something. So it is the exhaust moving??
Old May 15, 2004, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by inline4g63
i have the same problem, although only once in a while. I would be accelerating, and then take my foot of the pedal (usually in first or second gear ) and then I would hear a pop. At first I though it was the backfire of the pressure in the exhaust or something. So it is the exhaust moving??
Actually that sounds more like backfire, especially if you only hear the noise when you lift off the pedal. Next time try to notice what the RPM's were when you hear the noise. Also does this happen when you are making turns?
Old May 15, 2004, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

no, its not when turning. Also, its usually in first gear and I bring it up to 4 or 5k rpm, then take my foot off the gas. Its more of a small boom rather than a pop. Its not compressor surge cuz thats when i accelerate fast and let of quickly. In this case, I am accelerating slowly, but up to 4 or 5k, and then letting of the gas very slowly.
Old May 15, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

At first I thought it might be AWD bind, but you say it happens NOT when turning?