Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

can i tow 2 jetskis with my evo?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2004, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GVWR = total maximum weight you can safely rest on your cars tires.
Tongue weight = amount of weight that the trailer pushes down on the hitch.

The tongue weight is the only thing that contributes to the maximum GVWR. So adding a trailer with a 300lb tongue weight is contributing 300lb to the overall weight of the car.

But I would still go rent a car to tow those skis....

SC~
Old May 18, 2004, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tongue weight will be limited by the class of hitch you put on the car. Any decent jetski trailer will have very low tongue weight and the hitch available for our cars will only be rated to like 200 lb tongue.

Is the wave runner the stand up or sit down? (can't remember)
I know that one on a trailer is absolutely not an issue. I used to have a seadoo and towed it with a Corvette (aluminum frame) and I also towed it with a 91 CRX DX with no problem. If they are standups then they don't weight more that 250 or so each and the trailer weight is a non-factor because they are very light. If you can keep the total trailer weight below 1000 lbs then I'd say your good. Any good trailer is going to have a 10% tongue weight which is only 100 lbs on the hitch.
Old May 18, 2004, 10:48 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
- The Evo will tow a 1000 lb trailer no problem. No shortage of power or traction. I've pulled a 1600 lb boat out of the water with a truck that had maybe 1/2 the torque of the Evo.
- Towing a trailer is no different than putting 150-200 lbs of crap in your trunk as far as the chassis and diffs go.
- Launching and retrieving a trailer is very hard on the clutch. If you look at pickups, the automatics will always have a higher tow rating, simply because they don't have a clutch. The clutch/transmission, to me, is the #1 reason not to tow anything waterborne with this car. You will drastically shorten your clutch life every time you tow.
- As stated before, a drop hitch hanging off your rear subframe is a good reason to void your powertrain warranty.