Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

can i tow 2 jetskis with my evo?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2004, 03:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can i tow 2 jetskis with my evo?

According to the mitsu specs on mitsus website towing is not reccomended. But u think i can tow my jet ski, wave runner and their trailer with my evo? Or u think i should absolutely avoid it? Why can the Sti tow and the evo cant?
Old May 15, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the total weight of the trailer and the jet skis that will be on it? I would not recommend towing since it will not be good for the chasis and since access to a hitch connection would not be easy.
Old May 15, 2004, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

shiv towed a bunch of stuff with his car... but he probly has more torque than you..lol
Old May 15, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

should not tow cause it will burn out turbo unless u dont boost then maybe depending on weight
Old May 15, 2004, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Because the STi has more displacement
Old May 15, 2004, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Evo is not for towing, the Evo chassis is not capable of tow loads, get a mitsu montero sport or mitsu endeavor and they can do your towing job.
Old May 15, 2004, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yellance
should not tow cause it will burn out turbo unless u dont boost then maybe depending on weight

WHAT!?!?!?!
Old May 15, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by 992gnt
WHAT!?!?!?!

I think he meant all the turn signal fluid will get dirty...
<----sarcastic s.o.b.
Old May 15, 2004, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Mitsu also says you cant tow with an Eclipse...and I've seen that many many times...If its lightweight and u dont mind popping a hole in your bumper than I would say that its possible. Torque is irrelevent, the Evo has plenty... The turbo comment is, well I dont even know what to say about that comment. Remember though, its another reason to void your warranty.
Old May 15, 2004, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

It all depends on the way the trailer is design and the center balance. I am sure you can tow if the weight on the tongue isnt that much.
Old May 17, 2004, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

I have no idea how much a Jet ski weighs. 4-500 lbs each? Include a trailer and you will be towing something that weighs near 1500 lbs.

You should NOT tow anything this heavy with the Evo.

Towing causes undue stress on the center diff. Especially when there are tongue loadings to that trailer that are pressing down on the rear of the car.

The autocross "tire" trailers that some are alluding to above only weigh a few hundred pounds fully loaded. They also have an almost 0 lb tongue loading. ie....the weight of the trailer is not pushing down on the hitch and on the back of the car. That is how some 'not rated to tow' cars can get away with the occasional tow.

Edited out bad info... SC~ see below.

Bad news.

SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; May 17, 2004 at 01:04 PM.
Old May 17, 2004, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Just call mitsubishi....frankly I would get something else to do the towing....In regards to the above note, the weight of the trailer does not apply to the GVWR, but you are semi right, the tounge weight does apply. The tounge weight is usually around 10-20% of the weight of the trailer. For a 1500 pound trailer and jetskis, thats about 300 pounds max. You could get away with it, but whats the point in risking it. I would rent a car to do the towing, you could get one for 200 bux for a week or so. Thats the way I would go.
Old May 17, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

I forgot to mention, the tounge weight does not have any effect on the center diff or any other diff on the car any more than normal weight, i.e. people and gas. You arent gonna lose a diff by towing, if anything, the tranny would overheat and you would lose that before anything else. Thats why most vehicles that do towing have heavy duty transmission coolers. The tranny takes the brunt of the abuse.
Old May 17, 2004, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

you could but you probably should not
Old May 17, 2004, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2GDSM
For a 1500 pound trailer and jetskis, thats about 300 pounds max. You could get away with it, but whats the point in risking it.
That depends on the way the load is distributed on the trailer. Again, I know nothing about jet ski's or their trailers, but I have seen small-ish trailers with a lot of weight placed in front of the axles.

Suspending 300 lbs 2 feet off the back of your bumper is completely different than putting 300 lbs in the cabin or trunk.... One has a much more dramatic effect than the other. If that tongue loading is enough, the front wheels will be 'ligher' than normal. That can/will lead to front wheel spin upon acceleration....and you can bet this will work the center diff a whole.

SC~

Quick Reply: can i tow 2 jetskis with my evo?