Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone drive with their spare tire removed?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2004, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone drive with their spare tire removed?

I just took off the spare tire to my new evo the other day to save weight. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this. I figured if I get a flat I can always have someone meet me and bring me my spare. I would bolt it back in if I was going on a long trip anyway. So how many people do this?
Old May 15, 2004, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

i don't think that's a good idea, FWIW it's better to carry around 20 extra pounds than be stuck on the highway until someone takes care of you
Old May 15, 2004, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Only thing that sucks about running the spare is our drivetrain stress!!! Dam spare isnt full sized so can put alot of strees on the diff's.
Old May 15, 2004, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i ditched the jack, tools, spare, floor and added a cell phone. thats an ez 50lbs. i could get a flat tire and be stranded but that wouldn't be the end of the world.
Old May 15, 2004, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

I'm ditching mine as soon as I relocate the battery (which will be occupying the space vacated by the spare).
Old May 15, 2004, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Ya.... I had mine out, but recently had a flat (found it while I was at home), so now its in.....
Old May 16, 2004, 02:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i took mine off 10 minutes after gettin it home from the dealership...since then i have had one flat tire and 45 min later the insurance company had a truck there to tow me to a tire place and have it fixed....gotta love USAA
Old May 16, 2004, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

The spare is a waste of time - if you put it on the car (and don't have another spare for the opposite wheel) you'll screw up the diffs. Better off just flat-bedding it...

That said, I keep my spare, but for a different reason: weight distribution. The car is already very nose-heavy, so I keep the spare to offset it a little. I need to relocate my battery, too.
Old May 16, 2004, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Now that I know not to use the spare is the Fix A Flat in a can good to use till I get to the nearest tire shop?
Old May 16, 2004, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chris in HB
The spare is a waste of time - if you put it on the car (and don't have another spare for the opposite wheel) you'll screw up the diffs. Better off just flat-bedding it...

Thats only true if you change the size of your rims or tires....

My spare and tires/rims are exact same size..... I measured them to make sure.... I almost had that problem in my old GSX.....
Old May 16, 2004, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

i have mine gone also.i went RS style.
Old May 16, 2004, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chris in HB
That said, I keep my spare, but for a different reason: weight distribution. The car is already very nose-heavy, so I keep the spare to offset it a little. I need to relocate my battery, too.
It does make a good sub enclosure too!
BMan
Old May 17, 2004, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure about the fix-a-flat, but I have two cans and am interested in this as well.

I hear it can be hard on alloy wheel paint (eats it, if you don't get to a tire shop right away).

Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

a
Old May 17, 2004, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't had a spare in my car for 3 years, not an EVO but same problem if it goes flat. I carry a can of fix-o-flat.

Something else you can try is something called Slime, it's a flourescent green stuff that you put in your tires and if you get a flat it automatically seals it, I think up to an 1/8" hole. Not sure what this will do for tire balance as I had it on my bike the the front wheel was off balance at speeds over 120 MPH on the track of course. I t could also be messy when changing tires, but there is another option for you.
Old May 17, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisS.
Thats only true if you change the size of your rims or tires....

My spare and tires/rims are exact same size..... I measured them to make sure.... I almost had that problem in my old GSX.....
Hi,

I think if the overall diameter is the same, it won't make as much of difference, but the different resistances between the spare and the other tires probably won't be good for extended period of time, right? Anyway, I guess the lesson is to take care of the problem asap.

Take care,

FB

Quick Reply: Anyone drive with their spare tire removed?