Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will the cost of GASOLINE impact how you drive?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2004, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its funny you guys are *****ing about 93 at 2.00 in cali we have 91 for 2.60
Old May 17, 2004, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Just one more reason why the current administration NEEDS TO GO!!!
That makes sense, since we all know how the President controls OPEC.
Old May 17, 2004, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I mostly commute w/ my EVO, I don't notice too much difference in miles per tank between aggressive and normal driving. If I do drive more aggressive, I get maybe 10-15 miles less per tank. Nothing really worth changing my driving habits over. There's not much room for me to really open it up on my drive to/from work.

I pay about $1300 per 6 months on car insurance. And about $1500 per 6 months ($250/month) on gas. God damn! Freakin' Cali gas prices suck a$$!

Last edited by marksae; May 17, 2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old May 17, 2004, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

I don't really worry about it - I burned a tank of gas in 125 miles while thrashing around yesterday with the IS300 guys. It sucks to have to pay that much, but it's a lot like not being able to pay to maintain your Evo. If you can't make your Evo payment or something because of gas prices, you probably should not have bought one. Facts of life - always estimate 20% over what you pay on your car annually will be soaked up by maintenance, etc. Gas should be estimated for whichever car you choose - estimate high since most decent cars require premium. There's a lot to be said for living close to work when you can.
Old May 17, 2004, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Red face Geez...

Originally Posted by Kyperion
That makes sense, since we all know how the President controls OPEC.
^^^ your words, not mine; in no way did my original statement imply your conclusion, since I don't recall mentioning the shrub at the helm or OPEC.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion .... and as long as we all agree that mine is correct, we'll get along just fine

Apologies to the moderators, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I also don't stand for other ppl trying to put words in my mouth.
Old May 17, 2004, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

its 1$/litre here in Canada, so it cost me 50$CA to fill up my OZ yesterday
Old May 17, 2004, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

I'll probably start cutting down my travels to and from Omaha if gas prices continue to climb.
Old May 17, 2004, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mister2zx3
That's painful. 17mpg, stuck in freeway traffic, $2.65, 91 octane..

Thankfully we have 93 octane for $1.95 around here and can enjoy the uninhabited blocked off under construction backroads at full throttle <10mpg!
haha no doubt - except i dont have to deal with the traffic part, the part of cali i'm in is up in the redwoods and traffic is pretty much non existant.. but even for a small college/hick town, we got 5 evos around now though w00p
Old May 17, 2004, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

This is a thread about gas prices....not a place to ouline your political agendas...

Gas taxes in the US vs other countries....according to http://www.gaspricewatch.com/gastaxes.asp

Country Price US$ per liter / Tax Excluded Price / Tax % of Price
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
United Kingdom $1.20..............$0.28........................ 76%

Italy.................. $1.03..............$0.32........................ 69%

Japan................ $0.98............. $0.42........................ 57%

United States.... $0.34............. $0.24........................ 29%

So as you can see, relatively speaking, US doesn't tax oil nearly as much as other countries.

Last edited by Secret Chimp; May 17, 2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old May 17, 2004, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Red face

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
Gas taxes in the US vs other countries....according to http://www.gaspricewatch.com/gastaxes.asp...
That is a cool list, however it doesn't take into account local taxes. For example, here in IL, the price can vary more than 20+ cents from county to county. But yeah, overall US gas prices are comparatively low ... only place I've been to where they are comparable are the Phillippines, but there an Evo costs roughly US$ 80,000!!
Old May 17, 2004, 03:40 PM

I haven't really changed my driving habits. I only work 3 days a week and work relatively close to home but I do go out and do a lot of "for the hell of it" driving cuz I just love to drive the car. I usually go to the gas station twice a week and throw in $20 each time at $2.39/gal here in Vegas (that's the lowest I've seen it on my side of town at Mobil & Chevron. I've seen it more closer to the Strip). I'm used to having to put in premium cuz my hubby has a truck and a bike that both have to have that too. Yeah, the cost of gas is ridiculous, but what ya gonna do? I have to have it so I'm gonna pay for it. If I ever notice it making a dent in the checkbook, I'll just conserve the cash somewhere else (not eating out as much, ect).
Old May 25, 2004, 05:59 PM

Gas sucks nowadays, damn OPEC . I've been driving less but when i do drive i don't go into boost as much as i do before. I get aroudn 220 miles to a tank, but when i fill up i bring a 5 gallon can with me and fill that up then when i need more gas i just fill it up with the can and i'm up to roughly a half tank. Since gas doesn't get any cheaper when i go back to the pump it's actually an economical way. FYI if you have a Costco around you that has a gas station you'll save a lot of money, almost 15 cents a gallon or more ! I know there are you some EVO drivers who wonder: if you're worrying about gas mileage you bought the wrong car, but the savings add up so that means more money in my pocket ! But i got a honda scooter to so i if i have a short trip i just hop on that thing, after all i get 130 to gallon on that monster. Overall, the $30 ($2.40 p/gal) spent on just to fill up my tank will cost me but when i DO hit boost it always puts a smile on my face !
Old May 25, 2004, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Just paid $2.20 for 93 in GA, but I'm from CA so it does'nt bother me to pay that for 93. Yeah and in the Phillippines evo's are so expensive if you can afford one gas prices don't even matter.
Old May 26, 2004, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't shifted my driving habits at all. I waited until I knew I could afford an expensive car (cost/maint./gas/etc), and I just see this as part of the "pay for fun".

I kinda like the high gas prices. Call me crazy, but it is hurting SUV sales, and that can't be a bad thing. A few less soccer moms around here driving tanks and settling into station wagons is a good thing.

And I love people's shortsightedness regarding why gas prices are high. The cost of oil per barrel is one factor and the current administration (or any previous one for that matter) has no control over it. In fact, economic growth in China is causing more of this than anything. Much more demand, same supply = higher prices. Having our local refineries have to change the gasoline blend for the summertime to satisfy the tree huggers also increases summer prices for everyone, not just the markets they do that for. The refineries have to retool, set aside distribution and storage for the "special summer fuel" and they pass this all to the consumer. Finally, we use more fuel in the summertime because more people are flying and driving places for vacation. Again, increased demand, same supply = higher prices. This has nothing to do with politics. It has everything to do with economics.

And nobody whine about strategic oil reserves or lowering taxes. Taxes for us are very low. And Clinton tried that strategic reserve trick to win Gore the election. It lowered gas prices by less than a nickel for a month, then they shot back up and we've spent four years trying to buy back the reserves (at taxpayer expense). Thanks Bill.

Currently we pay less per unit energy than any other time in history. I'm not worried about it at all. I just top off the tank and drive really fast until its empty again. Repeat.

a
Old May 26, 2004, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

i commute to work via bus and train (parking in downtown boston is about $25 per day) so i only take my car out during the weekends. because of that, i'm still able to beat on it.