Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will the cost of GASOLINE impact how you drive?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2004, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alacris
I haven't shifted my driving habits at all. I waited until I knew I could afford an expensive car (cost/maint./gas/etc), and I just see this as part of the "pay for fun".

I kinda like the high gas prices. Call me crazy, but it is hurting SUV sales, and that can't be a bad thing. A few less soccer moms around here driving tanks and settling into station wagons is a good thing.

And I love people's shortsightedness regarding why gas prices are high. The cost of oil per barrel is one factor and the current administration (or any previous one for that matter) has no control over it. In fact, economic growth in China is causing more of this than anything. Much more demand, same supply = higher prices. Having our local refineries have to change the gasoline blend for the summertime to satisfy the tree huggers also increases summer prices for everyone, not just the markets they do that for. The refineries have to retool, set aside distribution and storage for the "special summer fuel" and they pass this all to the consumer. Finally, we use more fuel in the summertime because more people are flying and driving places for vacation. Again, increased demand, same supply = higher prices. This has nothing to do with politics. It has everything to do with economics.

And nobody whine about strategic oil reserves or lowering taxes. Taxes for us are very low. And Clinton tried that strategic reserve trick to win Gore the election. It lowered gas prices by less than a nickel for a month, then they shot back up and we've spent four years trying to buy back the reserves (at taxpayer expense). Thanks Bill.

Currently we pay less per unit energy than any other time in history. I'm not worried about it at all. I just top off the tank and drive really fast until its empty again. Repeat.

a
AMEN....