Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo LSD Finally done...

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2004, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does it affect the ABS? Do any of the parts manufacturers do anything but drag race their cars? Take that thing to an auto-x or road course and let us know how it does. Kudos to TT for getting their product out there first, but there's a lot of us who rarely (if ever) see a dragstrip.
Old May 20, 2004, 10:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Phantoms would grip when you wanted them to the least on FWD vehicles around town... I'd still like to see how they fair with the AWDs on the street and track though.
Old May 20, 2004, 10:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
A few years ago when those things hit the market a couple of locals had them installed in their gst cars. Both cars broke the front diff within two months. There has been good results seen in awd cars using them. Drops 60ft about a tenth and makes launching more consistant. I haven't seen an awd car break a diff with it. But there is less stress on the front diff in an awd car. I had one in my yellow car. After seeing the wear pattern on the gears after just 2000 miles I took it out in favor a factory torsen diff. The torsen diff did wonders compared to the phantom. I will stick with honest reviews of parts. And I will stick with my opinion that the phantom should be chosen with great caution. the front diff cannot be bought sepataely as of yet for the EVO8. An new one costs 2000.
I have seen my fair share of broken diff's in FWD's with or without the lsd insert. When dealing with a FWD the LSD insert seems to be good up to about 350whp. Anything over that and you should be running a Quaife or Kazz. But as for AWD's the insert works great and I have NEVER seen one break a front diff. I have had one in my talon for 2yrs now and have had the tranny apart a few times and all is well with the front diff. We have used these in 10 and 11 second street cars and 9 second @150+mph race cars that cut consistent 1.4 sixty foots. These have proven to be a great option in the AWD DSM's and are a great and inexpensive option for people that want more traction but don't want to spend thousands of dollars.

Keith
Turbotrix Racing

Last edited by TurbotrixRacing; May 20, 2004 at 11:26 AM.
Old May 20, 2004, 04:01 PM

Props to TurboTrix

This post is meant to let the people be aware of an option. Just let it be known this is an INSERT (BMTranny or Phantom Type), not a true LSD.

The insert is an alternative to lower your 60' by around .10 of a sec.
Old May 20, 2004, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

I am going to jump in here and back up TT a little bit. Assuming that their design is similiar to the phantom grip lsd insert, it does make a difference for AWD. I've got a phantom grip in my GSX and it's been in there for something like 4 years or so, maybe 3.5. It obviously does not work as well as a true lsd, but it is definitly better than a open front diff, especially in straight line runs. A true lsd helps out alot more in turns as it locks the outside tire to provide power instead of spinning the inside wheel. Phantom grips dont really do jack for autoX. If you do autoX, wait for a real lsd. If you like drag racing, then I see no reason not to splurge on the 300 dollar TT phantom diff. Also, the phantom diff's were over 300 when they came out for the 2G's. As more are sold, I am sure the price will come down.
Old May 20, 2004, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

For those that autoX, be very careful mixing the ABS braking with a front, center and rear limited slip. (Evo's have center and rear already of course). You have a very good chance of breaking something if you get into ABS pulsation while AutoXing with a real front lsd. This is the reason why its not availble on a evo with ABS, yet, the STi has a front lsd. STi's computer controlled diffs can work with ABS, Evo mechanical diffs cannot.
Old May 20, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

wasnt someone else seeling one for like $2000? this is $300? wow, im interested.... MALIBU...where in the NE?

-shahul
Old May 20, 2004, 05:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Long Island, NY here.. I was planning on coming out to TT to check out their shop at some point in the next few weeks. I can see the merit of the argument about this "LSD".. but we don't have much of an alternative at the moment. My right front wheel spins pretty often.. so on a good launch (or even a third gear "Data log pull") my left front hooks and I just go to the right..

It is what it is.. but it IS affordable and IS a good option if you dont need to spend a fortune on a torsen diff..
Old May 20, 2004, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a good piece, but I'll wait for the Quaife or go the Evo V route like WTZ...
Old May 21, 2004, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Why not try and get hold of an Evo 8 RS front diff? Don’t know if Mitsubishi would want to supply them but there must be a way for you get them! This is what a lot of people over here in the UK do if they have a GSR but are scared of wrecking the rear diff, but as Mitsubishi won’t supply the diffs (be it front or rear) on their own so we have to fork out something like £5k for the whole lot!!!!!
Do you guys have any problems with the rear diffs (GSR model)? In the UK (on the earlier cars) this is where the weak point in the transmission seams to be.

Thanks Chris.
Old May 21, 2004, 01:01 AM
Evolving Member

only $300??? god damn how so cheap!!
Old May 21, 2004, 02:09 AM
Evolving Member

2GDSM..does this mean it'd pretty much cost ALOT to have a working lsd in the 03 evo's (upgrade to computer controlled diffs, etc)
Old May 21, 2004, 02:32 AM
Evolved Member

d3wu, from what I have heard from the UK guys the AYC diffs (the rear one on the GSR) are inherently weak. The casing is much thinner than the RS casing (I think it is down to 2mm in one stressed location). I admit that most of the problems in the UK have been on cars up to the 7 (I think they sorted the lash angles out then) but it still may be a problem on high powered cars or anyone that is doing standing starts. As for the active centre diff, you may be able to get one from the UK or Japan. I not sure what the fit would be like (LHD compared to RHD)! I don’t know why you guys didn’t get the active centre diff anyway, so there may be a reason! I don’t think there ever was an active front diff (RS has a viscous LSD) and if it was a custom job then you are looking at BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG money. If I where you I would leave that to the WRC teams and get a RS setup, IMO of course.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Chris!
Old May 21, 2004, 03:08 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

2GDSM You are just plain full of ****. I ran my car at Pocono last week and embarrased a few Porsche and Corvette guys. The front LSD works perfectly in conjunction with ABS. The rumor that a front LSD dosen't work with ABS got started with one of the Car mags after Kevin Buckler made a comment. He's a Porsche guy forever! A Torsen front diff is a great mod for this car, period.
Cheers,
Old May 21, 2004, 06:31 AM
ACM
Evolving Member

I have helical front and centre diffs and a 1.5 way mechanical rear LSD, I have experienced no issues with my ABS operation.

Charles

Quick Reply: Evo LSD Finally done...