Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

k&n vs. ralliart drop in?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2004, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My EVO feels better with the RalliART drop in filter. I had the choice between the K&N, Monster, and RalliART drop-in fanel filters. I went with the RalliART for obvious reasons. My car feels better with the RalliArt filter compared to stock. It may have something to do with the fact that AZ gets crappy 91 octane (but I do run 101 unleaded twice a month, sometimes more). I don't buy the whole thing about it being that bad, cause it's really not that affective in a postive sense either. Mine is just temporary, unitl I really start tuning and doing bolt-ons. I feel so behind everyone already...I haven't done a thing to my EVO except Greddy Turbo Timer and TEIN coil-overs...and now the drop in filter of course!!

Logically, if the car is running SUPER rich from the factory, adding more airflow should help right? Or is adding more air adding more fuel?
Old May 21, 2004, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

I am no race engineer but in every other practice more air will always help a rich condition. I am sure this car is set up rich through the whole rev range because of US emissions. Almost every tuner I have read says as much, especially on the top end. I would assume the foam filter is NOT going to increase the air flow to the MAS to an extent over a k&n or stock to the point the computer is not going to be able to adjust. It is as much a maintenance advantage as it is performance-
Old May 21, 2004, 10:47 AM

I changed from the AEM short ram to the greddy drop-in. Not a big difference between the 2. The drop-in is much quieter. The Greddy filter is the same material as the Ralliart but about 45-50 shipped from Intense Motorsports. Hope this helps
Old May 21, 2004, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Talking Re

Originally Posted by GREDDY
Man, if you can notice that big of a difference between the K&N vs. Ralliart, you don't ever need to be on a dyno because your butt dyno is by far better.
LMAO!!! That's a truism Fo sho!
Old May 21, 2004, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Adair
I am no race engineer but in every other practice more air will always help a rich condition. I am sure this car is set up rich through the whole rev range because of US emissions. Almost every tuner I have read says as much, especially on the top end. I would assume the foam filter is NOT going to increase the air flow to the MAS to an extent over a k&n or stock to the point the computer is not going to be able to adjust. It is as much a maintenance advantage as it is performance-
Good points except that running rich _hurts_ emissions (more unburnt/semi-burnt fuel spewing out the tailpipe). I have a K&N and my butt dyno felt a little more power. Also I like that I can hear the turbo a bit better. Dunno if it spools faster, or just sounds that way.
Old May 21, 2004, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Amsoil two stage air filter. According to their web site, they state that it flows as good as a K&N and it filters a lot more. I like the fact that you can clean it and its a two stage filter, which will not let any dust pass through it (unlike the K&N).
Old May 22, 2004, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

If you are not wanting to spend $120 on the RalliART drop-in air filter, then I would suggest investing in the MONSTER drop-in. Unfortunately, VIVID Racing is the only place I know that sells them. It retails at about $60-70+tax...