Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Questions about some sounds

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2004, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about some sounds

for starters, when im still and i move the wheel all the way left or even when im driving sometimes u hear the car making a squeky sound like its coming from the right side of the car.. i have no idea what it is

another sound is everytime i turn the wheel i hear a hissing sound coming from the steering wheel or aroudn that area.. like a disk sound, its odd..

any idea waht these are please?

my car also seems like its not pulling as hard

i have exactly 4000 miles on it at the moment

any help is appreciated thanks
Old May 23, 2004, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sound when you turn the wheel all the way against the stops is probably the power steering pump belt squealing; pressures go up at the limit of travel and most owner's manuals say not to leave the wheel against the stops for more than a few seconds.

It's also possible something is wrong with your steering gear or pump. If it goes out at the wrong time (say, the middle of a high speed corner or during an emergency maneuver) it could be big trouble.

The sound probably has nothing to do with the loss of power, but bad gas or hotter weather can effect the acceleration markedly. Without an accelerometer (G-Tech, Beltronics Vector) I find it hard to tell how the car is performing with any accuracy. My butt dyno numbers seem to vary day to day without the car changing at all.