Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Back again....

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2004, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back again....

Alright, I apologize for my "ghetto" language in my previous thread. I didn't think it was too inappropriate for you guys. But anways, I have more questions. I need some information on BOV. Ludikraut told me about Greddy type-s BOV and my friends told me about HKS BOV. Some insight on this issue would be helpful. Also, this new car is big change from my previous car which was honda accord. I really want to know which exhaust and pipes give the most power and which flash is the best. Honestly, I don't even know too much about this flash thing. People are just telling me to get it. Help me out here please. Hopefully this thread isn't too "ghetto" for your tastes.
Old May 24, 2004, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up Glad you're still here...

Feel free to post my PM.

Hopefully the self-styled "adults" will live up to their proclamations this time around.

Read Silver Surfer's BOV thread ... that should answer just about all BOV questions.

l8r)
Old May 24, 2004, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BOV won't help your power out.

As for the rest - do a search! There's tons of information on basic mods such as those you are looking for.
Old May 24, 2004, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

I can't say "best", but my setup is good for some serious power for minimal $$$. Buschur Pipes and Dynoflash tuning. That's kind of the "bargain" route, I think.

What the "flash" is is basically re-configuring aspects of your car's ECU to make it manage things better like fuel, timing, etc. Several companies have "off-the-shelf" generic tunes that you can do through the mail, but the most power will be gained by a custom tune. Despite all of the crazy flame wars on here between vendors and their armies, they all do a good job and get results. I'm happy with mine, others are happy with theirs. I'd recommend talking to someone in person who has done stuff and ask them what their mod path was, then determine if that fits your goal and do it! Personally, I've been a pest to the DCEvoClub guys, asking tons of questions, but that's how you get info!

I'm assuming "bmore" means Baltimore? If so, you ought to come down to a DCEvoClub meet. We're having a BBQ at a tuner in Gaithersburg soon, and that would be a great time to ask everyone questions and see actual products and results!
Old May 24, 2004, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

^^^Truth^^^ Everyone, even with a stock Evo, should get a flash. I have nothing but a Dynoflash and it is AMAZING how much better the thing runs in general, let alone the power gains..
Old May 24, 2004, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
^^^Truth^^^ Everyone, even with a stock Evo, should get a flash. I have nothing but a Dynoflash and it is AMAZING how much better the thing runs in general, let alone the power gains..
please elaborate. did it help with low end torque? high end output? thanks.
Old May 24, 2004, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Stock, the car runs extremely rich. So all of the symptoms of that are cured right from the get go (better gas milage, no more sooty exhaust, less vibration under throttle) The timing is corrected, and so the turbo spools faster and harder and doesn't surge as hard. The boost taper is removed, so it pulls hard right to redline and beyond instead of falling on its face at 5000 RPM.

With the Dynoflash mail order, its 200 bucks or so. There is no single thing you can do for that kind of money that will give you that much gain...in fact, you can hardly find a mod in all of automobiledom that will.

In effect, BLEW it with the sad tune they put on the car from the factory. By virtue of correcting that problem, any of the flashes are a great value.

Last edited by OnlineAlias; May 24, 2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old May 24, 2004, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most flashes will help out most on top end from 5k on up where the EVO really needs it. Its pretty rich in in that range from the factory. Forget about a BOV untile you start really upping the boost(above 22-23PSI) is where the stock one starts leaking. Otherwise most people start getting surge and heasitation issues.

If your looking to spend around 2k as your previous post stated, I would look at Buschur stage kits. Those guys really know what there doing and have reasonible prices. You can find a link to there home page in the vendor section and it will tell you everything you need to know.
Old May 24, 2004, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'll elaborate, as a stock Evo was flashed right before mine. First of all, as you can see, the torque gains on mine were incredible. The thing pulls like crazy. It's similar for stock with the Dynoflash, the tq number ends up being higher than the HP. The high end output is helped by a combination of the tuning + boost controller. A lot of high end power is lost on the Evo because the boost tapers by about 3psi by redline. With a boost controller, you can keep it up all the way out to redline, and then the tuning complements that. My torque is 325lbft at the wheels at only 3400 rpms, which I think is great.
Old May 24, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, you definitely should get some type of flash, piggy-back, or standalone management system. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but:

DynoFlash = $199, nets ~20whp, but does not control boost
Xflash = $395, nets ~30whp, does control boost
any other flashes out there?

There's a whole forum dedicated to the DynoFlash vs. Xflash thing ( https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/fo...play.php?f=114 ), I suggest you check it out and come to your own conclusions (let's keep the flames outta this thread).
Old May 24, 2004, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

We tread on dangerous ground....I guess that is what you should know about Evo's as a newbie.

Don't bring up the topic of who's flash is better!

Very bad newbie, very bad.
Old May 24, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
We tread on dangerous ground....I guess that is what you should know about Evo's as a newbie.

Don't bring up the topic of who's flash is better!

Very bad newbie, very bad.
[flameoff]Hehe, yep ... that's why I put the call for peace in my post.[/flameoff]

Actually I'm getting pretty tired of all the posturing around the flashes (so much hype, not a lot of genuine info) ... I think I'm going to post what may be a solution into the flash forum.

l8r)
Old May 24, 2004, 02:55 PM

Nice... good stuff, thanx guyz
Old May 24, 2004, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, one upgrade I forgot to mention ... upgrade your fuel pump. There have been a couple of good sized threads on this. It is considered a mandatory upgrade by some if you're going to start making more power than stock.

l8r)
Old May 24, 2004, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

definately go with dynoflash.awesome product