Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone have any problems with Exede TwinPLate Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2004, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exede Twin PLate Clutch OWNERS READ!

I need a new clutch and the service manager / director "head hancho" at said that the Exede Twin Plate clutch is tearing up evo transmisions more than any other clutch and it normally happens within the first 4 thousand miles. Has anyone had any problems with their exede twin plate clutch and how many miles have u had it for? Also what kind of driving do u do with it? Anyone heard of anything going wrong with these clutches? need an answer asap as im going to buy one very soon.

Last edited by XRS-Lift; May 24, 2004 at 06:10 PM.
Old May 24, 2004, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

I will speak from experience. I'm on my third clutch now and finally I have the right one. I have the Cusco carbon double-disk. I have 3000 miles and I couldn't be more satisfied. The people at Mitsu are always tell you to stick with stock so every 10000 miles you can go in there and pay them 720 bucks to replace their clutch which actually is a pretty good clutch. I highly recommend the Cusco. It costs a bit more than the exedy, but worth it. I picked mine up at BOOST SOLUTIONS for under 1600. George and Doug installed it and did an outstanding job. There is a 500 mile break-in period for the Cusco, but it goes quick. No Boosting at all for those 500. After that, do what you like. It slips right in when daily driving and grabs perfectly when racing. As long as you don't dump the clutch when you launch and slip it you'll be fine. A launch my car frequently and have never had a problem. I have 20000 miles on my Evo and all is well. A single puck clutch could tear up your drivetrain so make the right decision. I had a 6-puck and it was very rough on my transfercase. Spend the money now and avoid having to spend more on a transfercase or tranny. I suggest logging on to www.boost-solutions.com and ordering the Cusco. Good Luck!!!!
Old May 24, 2004, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

anyone have problems with the exede twinplate? If you have one and have driven it for more than 10k miles with no problems plz post. or just post if u have one at all.
Old May 26, 2004, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Exedy twin disk, but have only had for about 1500 miles. I like it, no issues.
Old May 26, 2004, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

i've had my exedy in for 6000 miles, i've done hard all-wheel drive launches pulling 1.6 60' times, where all 4 wheels can't even hook up.... (not on purpose) and i drive it everyday.

i've even done 13 runs in a row on the drag track what i mean is, 13 launches, finish the track drive back around and already staging on the light to run again....without even stopping

and if mitsu reads this... THey can suck my ****

Last edited by nastea; May 26, 2004 at 09:22 AM.
Old May 26, 2004, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nastea
i've had my exedy in for 6000 miles, i've done hard all-wheel drive launches pulling 1.6 60' times, where all 4 wheels can't even hook up.... (not on purpose) and i drive it everyday.

i've even done 13 runs in a row on the drag track what i mean is, 13 launches, finish the track drive back around and already staging on the light to run again....without even stopping

and if mitsu reads this... THey can suck my ****

nastea i love u.

Ive been waiting for a god damn post saying that u can drive it hard and have no issues. It seems like exedy failures have been due to bad install. I've made my choice, thanks again.
Old May 26, 2004, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

at least someone cares *WEEP* haha, fyi the dynoflash car also has an exedy twin disk...he he's probably harder on his clutch than i am on mine

But your right, the install is probably the issue here... I had mine done at www.agileauto.com and they were great, both mike and hill do outstanding work.

we ran into a snag with NO ALIGNMENT tool, as it comes to find out exedy doesn't ship them with the clutches anymore... so these guys spent hours manually lining the clutch up. and it was a few days before x-mas, so they next day super air option wasn't gonna work either....so just know your takign it to a reliable shop. and not your run of the mill, fly by night, shops. take it to someone you trust, i did
Old May 26, 2004, 10:53 AM

Still in the box

I, after some research went with the exedy twin plate.
I'm still hunting for an installer in ABQ thats worth a damn.
It is decorating my garage with the nice pink and grey box. there is a guy in town locally has about 8k on his and drives it every day like he stole it.
replace the throw out bearing and clutch cable while you are in there.

dealer says non oem clutch= no warranty so i'm considering waiting until i need a transfer case and or clutch...
Old May 26, 2004, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

at least someone cares *WEEP* haha, fyi the dynoflash car also has an exedy twin disk...he he's probably harder on his clutch than i am on mine

But your right, the install is probably the issue here... I had mine done at www.agileauto.com and they were great, both mike and hill do outstanding work.

we ran into a snag with NO ALIGNMENT tool, as it comes to find out exedy doesn't ship them with the clutches anymore... so these guys spent hours manually lining the clutch up. and it was a few days before x-mas, so they next day super air option wasn't gonna work either....so just know your takign it to a reliable shop. and not your run of the mill, fly by night, shops. take it to someone you trust, i did

Al from dynoflash does have a exedy twin disk but its not the $1250 one, he said his is $2,900. Its full carbon. I think the regualr one is ceramic. which one did u get.
Old May 26, 2004, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

I've put 8000 miles on mine with no problems.... daily driver no complaints.
Old May 26, 2004, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

mine is the ceramometallic
Old May 26, 2004, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

mine is the ceramometallic

awsome
Old May 26, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member