Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Carmax inventory

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2004, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carmax inventory

What inspired me to post this topic is that there are more used sti for sale than evos, based on carmax inventory, when there is generally more complain in the evo community than the sti community. Although there are posts of problems in the sti, but not as much as the Evo. If you guys go to carmax inventory, you'll find there are at least 5 used sti for sale. Very good price if you are looking for an sti. In the other hand, there is only 1 evo available in their inventory. Heheh, so I came up with a conclusion: maybe because the Evo has gained so much popularity among tuners is what kept its owner from letting it go. While in the sti camp, tuning that beast is somewhat of a nightmare due to lack of engine managament system and an unproven engine. What do you guys think?
Old May 25, 2004, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

That's exactly what I said as soon as I heard they were changing the Subie's motor!!
Old May 25, 2004, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

The Carmax in Laurel, MD is also a new Mitsubishi dealer and they only offered me $22.5 for my EVO. I don't know if any other Carmax locations are also Mitsu dealers but I think it affected the price in my case since they could get new EVO's right from the factory. So maybe that affects the EVO - STI ratio.
Old May 25, 2004, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

They want more money for the Sti's though...holy smokes this one is nice...

http://www.carmax.com/VehicleImages/2258880.jpg
Old May 25, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by masterevo
What inspired me to post this topic is that there are more used sti for sale than evos, based on carmax inventory, when there is generally more complain in the evo community than the sti community. Although there are posts of problems in the sti, but not as much as the Evo. If you guys go to carmax inventory, you'll find there are at least 5 used sti for sale. Very good price if you are looking for an sti. In the other hand, there is only 1 evo available in their inventory. Heheh, so I came up with a conclusion: maybe because the Evo has gained so much popularity among tuners is what kept its owner from letting it go. While in the sti camp, tuning that beast is somewhat of a nightmare due to lack of engine managament system and an unproven engine. What do you guys think?
Its my opinion that there are more younger people driving the evo than the STi. Older men from 30 to 40 driving the STi and not in the same mannor as an STi.
Old May 25, 2004, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

I bought my Evo new @ Carmax in Dulles, VA (also a mitsu dealer) back in Oct... They had 4 on hand that day.

Good point. As much as people complain about the Evo, few are willing to part with them!
Old May 26, 2004, 05:43 AM

We are starting to see more STi's come into the shop for repairs. Currently we have two trannys, and a couple motors. So far I can't say we have seen a whole lot of problems with them, little quirks here and there like any car. And in my opinion they have done superb for a first year release. If any of you keep track or work in a dealership, you would understand that the first year of most newly released car lines is the worst time to buy, sometimes all the bugs are'nt fully worked out. I think the EVO and the STi have both done great. But maybe since more STi's are getting older we are starting to see problems or flaws in them, not real likely they will have a ton of major problems. We sell at the least one STi a week, usually over ten a month, over 30 in stock. I personally prefer the EVO, maybe because I am around STi's and Subaru performance parts all day talking to people who wish to see more out of there car, and I have grow a tad tired of them. Like working at Burger King and never eating there because your around it all day. But mainly I like the EVO better, handling, feel, power. And there are fewer out there. A good question I always ask is how many 10-15 year old Subaru's do you see daily? The same could be asked for Mitsu.
Old May 26, 2004, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DriftZero
A good question I always ask is how many 10-15 year old Subaru's do you see daily? The same could be asked for Mitsu.
I see alot more s on the road than scoobies. from the performance end atlease. I have a 92 galant VR4 aswell coming up on 100k mile and it still runs strong and I can beat most of the reg wrxs I come across.
Old May 26, 2004, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by evo 8 ya
I see alot more s on the road than scoobies. from the performance end atlease. I have a 92 galant VR4 aswell coming up on 100k mile and it still runs strong and I can beat most of the reg wrxs I come across.
my point exactly
Old May 26, 2004, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Nashville CarMax has a red one on the lot, or did a couple of days ago.
Old May 26, 2004, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Im wanting the Silver one in Orlando. Will Carmax treat me better than say Mitsubishi dealerships?
Old May 26, 2004, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Carmax has the no haggle policy. That means they dont haggle... The price as you see is what you'll pay for, and they wont talk to you if you are trying to talk the price down. There are several STIs at carmax for a good price.