Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boost sweet spot

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2004, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well compared to the Hallman I'm not sure, I know they are great products as well. It could be my boost gauge (Autometer ) but I'm happy with the Joe P. definitely. I've had it for quite some time now and there haven't been any problems as far as I know..
Old May 26, 2004, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

David Buschur himself and many others have stated that the stock turbo does not like to hold big boost.
Old May 26, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xstang
Well.. I installed bigger injectors/walbro255/ARP bolts hoping I could turn up the boost a notch... I guess it is impossible though to maintain 21 to redline,,,, The best I can get is 19.5 or so at 7000rpms...
It is possible but not very easy depending on the weather and the stock cams and the type of boost control you have. Regardless you are aware that your boost is going to try and taper a bit no matter what once you get past 19 unless you have aftermarket cams and or other mods. One way to keep in mind is you can set a rpm style boost setting. Applying more duty cycle at higher rpms to keep it from falling off. Or have you boost controler look at boost instead of duty cycle so it will auto adjust. Just a few things that you can look at and try hope it helps.
Old May 26, 2004, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

ahhh.. I've heard that autometer gauges are on about same accuracy level as a stock boost gauage. I wouldn't feel safe, but hey, as long as it works and you are happy.
Old May 26, 2004, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
It is possible but not very easy depending on the weather and the stock cams and the type of boost control you have. Regardless you are aware that your boost is going to try and taper a bit no matter what once you get past 19 unless you have aftermarket cams and or other mods. One way to keep in mind is you can set a rpm style boost setting. Applying more duty cycle at higher rpms to keep it from falling off. Or have you boost controler look at boost instead of duty cycle so it will auto adjust. Just a few things that you can look at and try hope it helps.
264/264 HKS cams..... Al tuned my car, so I'm not sure about the duty cycle aspect... interesting....
Old May 26, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xstang
264/264 HKS cams..... Al tuned my car, so I'm not sure about the duty cycle aspect... interesting....
If Al did a custom tune I am sure the fuel trim and everything else was set to the way it was and I have respect for Al so no bashing meant on this example at all but if you take a look at the vishnu xede site they show how you can adjust boost duty cycle at a give load and rpm point. In person I have seen the xede hold over 20PSI in boost on several dyno pulls by using this feature on a tuned map. I have an EBC as well and it didn't hold as good as this persons xede but the EBC was way better than the MBC experience I had which is why I had to switch. Now I don't know what his dyno sheet would look like now due to different weather it could change slightly and he could loose a little now, hell it could of just been a great day for it but it was the straightest line I see all day long on that dyno out of over 10 evo's.

NOTICE!
Guys remember no compairning between Al and Shiv replys on this post please this was only used as an example they both know more than me and have much respect for both tuners, this is just for an example.

http://www.vishnutuning.com/xede_evo.htm
Old May 26, 2004, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
If Al did a custom tune I am sure the fuel trim and everything else was set to the way it was and I have respect for Al so no bashing meant on this example at all but if you take a look at the vishnu xede site they show how you can adjust boost duty cycle at a give load and rpm point. In person I have seen the xede hold over 20PSI in boost on several dyno pulls by using this feature on a tuned map. I have an EBC as well and it didn't hold as good as this persons xede but the EBC was way better than the MBC experience I had which is why I had to switch. Now I don't know what his dyno sheet would look like now due to different weather it could change slightly and he could loose a little now, hell it could of just been a great day for it but it was the straightest line I see all day long on that dyno out of over 10 evo's.

NOTICE!
Guys remember no compairning between Al and Shiv replys on this post please this was only used as an example they both know more than me and have much respect for both tuners, this is just for an example.

http://www.vishnutuning.com/xede_evo.htm
I can hold 19.5 to redline... Not that much of a difference... I am extremely happy with my tune... I like the extra protection the factory knock sensors give me... Thanks for the suggestion though

Last edited by xstang; May 26, 2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old May 26, 2004, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

I am running a Joe P. mbc as well. I find I can hold whatever boost I want until redline (7800 rpm) with a small spike when the turbo first hits full boost. 22-23 psi also definitely increases performance vs. 19-20 psi. I've been playing around with the boost the last few times I've been at the track, and the car has the highest traps and best e.t.'s when I set it to 22-23 psi. Anything over that and it feels like the ecu is pulling timing. I wouldn't advise anyone to run such high boost everyday though, especially if you're on stock headstuds.
Old May 26, 2004, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rebelzx
I am running a Joe P. mbc as well. I find I can hold whatever boost I want until redline (7800 rpm) with a small spike when the turbo first hits full boost. 22-23 psi also definitely increases performance vs. 19-20 psi. I've been playing around with the boost the last few times I've been at the track, and the car has the highest traps and best e.t.'s when I set it to 22-23 psi. Anything over that and it feels like the ecu is pulling timing. I wouldn't advise anyone to run such high boost everyday though, especially if you're on stock headstuds.
What is the mph difference at the track between 21 tapering vs 23 tapering
Old May 26, 2004, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

At Atco two weekends ago, the difference was 1 full mph. This was on a clutch on its last legs, so the difference might be even greater with a fully operational clutch. It was also a very hot and humid day, so that could have been a factor. I wasn't out with the intention to specifically test boost levels (I was bracket racing and launching as hard as I could, and Atco requires you to go through the waterbox), so the 1 mph figure might not be 100% accurate. Next time out I'm going to try doing back to back runs at E-Town without launching at different boost levels to see the difference in mph and et.