Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The Infamous Brick Incident

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2004, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry The Infamous Brick Incident

Well first.........big fat ouch!!!!

About a month ago I was driving to work. I was pulling maybe 30 in a 35 with cop behind me in traffic. So, it wasn't like I was hotdogging or doing anything illegal or not paying attention or anything.

The cars in front of me as I enter an intersection don't swerve, so I don't even thing to. Then, it felt like I hit an Iraqui land mine with my EVO. There was a gray house brick on the gray street. The other cars missed it out of pure luck. It was laying flat, and if I had hit it straight on, I would have at worse needed a new rim/tire and an alignment, but more likely than not would have simply just run over it for a nice rally feel. But, my luck SUCKS and I mean SUCKS. I hit this brick so minutely perfect that it stood up on end under my car. My tire barely clipped the edge of the brick on the front drivers side. The brick stands up and proceeds to turn end over end in its awful path of destruction.....to the tune of $3,000.00. Somehow or another, my alignment was unaffected. My undercarriage on the other hand was ripped to shreds. The aluminum tore like butter! Seven holes in the underside of my car.

Anyway. I immediately pull over and get out. I take a look at the car and nothing at first appeared wrong (I hadn't looked under the EVO yet!). I was late for work and thought I had survived the brick tackle unscathed. I go to get back in the car and look down. My floorboard in front of the drivers seat was raised about 7 inches in several unattractive mounds. The back seat was the same. I got on my knees...not to cry yet but to look under the car. She had seven tears (I mean huge holes) in the undercarriage. Also, several suspension components were gashed. All wires, tubing, and the gas tank were luckily spared.

Once I got someone to actually agree to work on it, my bill turned in at $2,989.00. My seats and carpet had to come up and the floor had to be banged back down and patches welded over it from the inside. Many suspension parts were replaced and the undercoating had to be redone. My rocker panel got skinned a bit and that had to be painted. This was all done under insurance, and they counted it on record as an at fault accident due to the fact the brick was not moving when I first struck it.

To make it worse, while in the shop, it was hit in the rear bumper by another car. Obviously that was fixed for free.

The car came out PERFECT. No alignment issues or anything of the like. I looked in, around, and under and there is no evidence that anything happened. They did a great job on the car. BUT....It stills SUCKS

Last edited by BeachEvo; May 27, 2004 at 06:54 AM.
Old May 27, 2004, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

ouch is right. glad it got fixed.
Old May 27, 2004, 08:33 AM

That's why I fear driving on these nasty NY streets around here. There is so much debris, and with a low car you can't avoid things like other cars unless you have the space to swerve like a madman.
Old May 27, 2004, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

if the brick was construction debris, you can often make a claim against the contractor's general liability carrier. it would pay for your deductible or any other out-of-pocket expenses at least.
Old May 27, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

I feel for you man. I'm glad everything worked out in the end though... aside from the insurance I mean. Good luck in the future. Just out of curiosity, Didn't the cop see it or pull over when you did or anything?????
Old May 27, 2004, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

F'ing insurance companies... now your insurance will most likely go up. At least the car is fixed..
Old May 27, 2004, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tanner_Hall
if the brick was construction debris, you can often make a claim against the contractor's general liability carrier. it would pay for your deductible or any other out-of-pocket expenses at least.
The brick was in no way identifiable. And, there were no nearby construction sites, new homes, etc. with which to make a match. Sad face for me.
Old May 27, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Scooter
I feel for you man. I'm glad everything worked out in the end though... aside from the insurance I mean. Good luck in the future. Just out of curiosity, Didn't the cop see it or pull over when you did or anything?????
When I pulled over the cop went buy slowly. He looked at me and then continued to drive. Thanks for the help buddy!

Two weeks ago a cop pulled me over and tried to ticket me for my spoiler as "obstruction of view" or some BS like that. I was waiting for that one and had the manual and brochure in my glove box to show that it was stock. He made me wait for nearly 20 minutes before letting me go.
Old May 27, 2004, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by evo8nj
F'ing insurance companies... now your insurance will most likely go up. At least the car is fixed..
It would if I stay with Progressive. OUCH!

But, on June 15, the day after a ticket comes off my driving record, I'm switching to the same company that carries my home insurance. I'm getting a multiple policy discount. Also, the lady there was really cool and she knows that I'm getting married in late July, but she's writing it up as though we are already married. The insurance dropped 45 bucks a month and that is with the new company charging for the brick, and Progressive hasn't yet as the policy renewal isn't for another month or two. So, I'm probably going to be saving about $70 a month or so. Our new bill is $285 a month. Full coverage on the EVO and an 03 Montero Sport and we both have "medium" sized records.
Old May 27, 2004, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very glad to hear it fixed, but your insurance must be pretty high even now. 285 a month for 2 cars? . Yearly, my folks pay 1200$ total to insure their 40K MDX and 36K ES300, and that's together.
Old May 27, 2004, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

i used to live in VA too. progressive was one of the cheaper insurance companies there. here in CO, progressive rates suck major a$$ (i switched to state farm).
Old May 27, 2004, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do what I did, get all the details and claim it on your insurance.. then after they probably say that it was your fault (depending on how you explain it).. after a few days call your adjuster and explain it very very nicely what happened and you had no way of avoiding it...

I did that when I hit a brick and damaged my 18's.. they put me down as at fault, then I called them and explained nicely what happened and they reversed it.. and replaced my 18's.

Then I hit a fender on the road that damaged my front end and intercooler.. again initially it was recorded as "at fault" after about a week, I called them up again and explained it nicely that I was not at fault... again they reversed it... that is why I got a gialla front-end , and a greddy intercooler now.

Cant stress it more, but be nice when you call your adjuster... and your adjuster will be nice to you..
Old May 28, 2004, 04:04 PM

Sorry to hear about what happened!

A few years back, my husband was driving my Accord that I used to have and hit a cinder block (how the hell he didn't see that is beyond me!!). I had just put new rims/tires on a couple days before. The front passenger rim/tire was destroyed. Luckily for me though, nothing else happened to the car.

I'm just sick and tired of having to dodge all the crap left behind on the roads from people who are careless....being they didn't securely tie down their load, tire blew out and it's left all over the place, etc. A few weeks ago, we were driving on the freeway and on the opposite side just a little ahead of us we see this WHEELBARROW up in the air! We're like WTF??!! We see it bounce off of a car and onto the ground right in the fast lane. We look back and just see a sea of brake lights and people swerving as they are trying to avoid hitting it. We get off at the next offramp and get back on the freeway heading toward the wheelbarrow to make sure everyone was ok (we thought for sure the wheelbarrow went through the windshield of the one car). When we got up to where the action was, the landscape company that dropped it had pulled over and was getting it off the freeway and the car that we thought was hit....looked like it had NO damage! Those people were soooo lucky. It could have decapitated them if it had gone through the windshield. Crazy!