Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

what do I need...

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2004, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do I need...

how much money and what parts would i need on my stock evo8 to take an 04 svt mustang cobra stock (390 horse)? friend just got one and im curious how far off i am : )
Old May 30, 2004, 02:02 AM
kim

Just race him (on the track) stock then you'll see how much you need. If i were to give you any advice it would be to learn how to launch and drive better. A good driver can do wonders but mods can't hurt. oh and if you're short on cash , just do some weight reduction. (remove passenger seat, rear seats, spare, ETC.)
Old May 30, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

I've had both cars ('03 Cobra and 2 '03 Evo's now), and can tell you that what Kim says speaks a lot of truth. A good driver on the Evo is very critical as it takes more skill to properly launch an AWD car and to keep a turbo car in its powerband.

Rear seat weight isn't going to mean much, it weighs virtually nothing. At a minimum, you should consider boost control, turbo back exhaust, and fuel management to address some of the stock setbacks on the Evo. Many 03+ Cobra owners have achieved high 12's stock, and a fair amount are in the low 13's. Being an excellent driver in your Evo is going to make the biggest difference.

Dollar for dollar, mod for mod, in the end he will always be a faster drag race car. Just wait until it rains or you need to take turns and he won't stand a chance. The stock Cobra tires are nothing to get excited over. Also, if he's new to the Cobra I guarantee he's going to find out what wheelhop is like on launch - which isn't particularly kind on the IRS.

If your Evo is a street only car, I wouldn't spend a lot of time dwelling on your drag racing prowess. He's going to be faster if he keeps up on the basic Cobra mods, but the Evo is a much better all world condition performance car and you're going to smoke him on insurance and fuel savings
Old May 30, 2004, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

I was just going to post, "You might want to ask Avatarofwar. He's had both so he'd probably be able to help out more". Then you go ahead and already beat me .

Just a few basic boltons will help you keep up and even pass him. Thanks to the AWD, you won't have many problems with traction... yet . Boost controller, full 3" exhaust, some engine management and you're well on your way.
Old May 30, 2004, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the advice.. the thing is he doesnt plan on modding his car ... and he isnt very bright.. when i told him lets take it to the track he thought his pig mustang could take my evo on the turns... i kindly laughed in his face : /... hes has no experience with the cobra at all... and he just bought the car randomly just knowing its fast.. he doenst konw what it runs 1/4 0-60... nothing... and we were all planning to go to english town next year.. so i wanted to mod my car up without him knowing and then just totally suprise him and ruin his **** at the track thats why im here asking and i understand as far as all season goes.. my car is way better then his.. rain or snow his car better hit the garage while im cruising with a smile on my face
Old May 30, 2004, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

If you're racing with him on the track, I'll recommend a nice set of coilovers in addition to the bolt-on engine mods.