Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Something Fun... Donuts anyone

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2004, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just have a question.

When you do blow you diff/clutch/rear/axle/xfer/etc, will you make a whole new thread complaining about Mitsu, or will you just make it a continuation of this thread?
Old Jun 2, 2004, 03:20 PM

rofl
Old Jun 2, 2004, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

I came out of the carwash a couple of months ago, it was one without a dryer. So when I made the left had turn to get on the road, I got on it so I could use speed as my dryer. Well need less to say without intention the *** end came around on me and I was able to just lay in the throttle and return my wheel straight. Once the front tires caught I took off.

Well the next time I left this carwash, I purposefully gave her hell, and busted a sick donut. It whipped around so quick, it was over before it started. I could have stayed in it, but I just wanted to try it just once...
Old Jun 2, 2004, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, it's his car, let him do whatever he wants with it. He is aware that things might break but that's his problem. As long as he doesn't come crying when things break, if you have any ideas of how he can have some fun, let him know.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
I just have a question.

When you do blow you diff/clutch/rear/axle/xfer/etc, will you make a whole new thread complaining about Mitsu, or will you just make it a continuation of this thread?
i wonder which part will go first, clutch, diff, power steering or transfer case
this is the reason stock clutches fail...
Old Jun 2, 2004, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

wanna take bets? $1 says catastrophic failure of the clutch with bits of spring and friction material embedded in the flywheel making that useless as well.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Its an old Video but its an AWD donuts in a GMC Typhoon, they are similar drivetrain set up as in a posi rear end, open front different, and a limited slip transfer case (though it 35/65 not 50/50). Its also an auto tranny...

http://www.sportmachines.com/videos/donut[1].mpeg

Last edited by dgoodhue; Jun 2, 2004 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Second Steering Pump...

Yes, doing 360's will blow out the sterring pump... Now, that I don't have power steering, I might actually leave it alone. Yes, in the parking lot it is a pain, but on a nice twisty road, the lack of power steering provides so much feedback, in terms of road surface and grip levels, that it might be tough to going back...

Also, use the car the way you want, that's why you bought it...

Cheers,

OS
Old Jun 2, 2004, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

It's my understand a power steering equipped car can't go back to non-power steering just by having the system fail. There might be a chance your pump is still working a little, but when it completely fails you won't be able to move the wheel at all.

I could be wrong of course, I’m not completely sure. Hopefully you won't be hauling *** through a turn, and have that happen.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
does anyone know the biases for the 3 ACD settings (tarmac, gravel and snow)?
ACD doesn't control the biasing, its always 50/50, what it does control is the speed and timing for locking and unlocking of the center diff.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Well now that MMNA knows who is doing donuts, they will know exactly whos driveline warranty coverages to void when they come in complaining about blown transfer cases or ps pumps.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why danger the health of your evo?? just drive it straight lol
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ultor
It's my understand a power steering equipped car can't go back to non-power steering just by having the system fail. There might be a chance your pump is still working a little, but when it completely fails you won't be able to move the wheel at all.

I could be wrong of course, I’m not completely sure. Hopefully you won't be hauling *** through a turn, and have that happen.

Hi,

In my old Integra GSR, I removed the ps belt and gained ~3 hp on the dyno. This also provided a lot more steering feedback and I later took out the whole pump and everything. I got used to turning the wheel only when the car was rolling, and I didn't mind not having PS. You just have to start rolling a little, then turn the wheel and it wasn't too bad.

It may be harder since the EVO is awd and heavier, but then again the steering is probably tighter. Course, ~3hp on an evo probably wouldn't be worth it, unless the steering feel improved a lot.

So, I imaging having the pump fail is equivalent to what I did in my GSR, right? If anyone can confirm or deny that would be cool.

As for the actual thread, maybe you should get some bald *** tires first to make it easier and have less strain on the drivetrain. Be careful, heh. I did a nice power slide tonight going around a slightly wet corner, similar to the guy at the carwash above. I wasn't actually expecting it, but just went with it when it happened.

Take care,

FB
Old Jun 3, 2004, 05:18 AM

Just a side note, while taking an STi for a drive yesterday I put the dccd all the way to the rear and managed some sweet drifting. Its great to work at a dealership heheh jp.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ultor

Thats completely untrue.... how do you explain the wheel turning in our cars with the key off??? or the countless vehicles i have had that have slung a power steering belt and i just kept on driving....... i have driven some real piece's of **** and alot of them without power steering i honestly love the feedback myself!

Quick Reply: Something Fun... Donuts anyone