Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Alternative Fuels!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2004, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternative Fuels!!!!

I understand that most tuner/builders on here will be running race fuel to get the most out of there engines. What I want to know is has anyone tried other race fuels such as methanol or nitro methane in there evos? If so what sort of results have you had? Or if not, why not? What are the advantages of nitro methane over methanol/petroleum? Basically, I would like to know as much as poss about alternatives to petrol based fuels!!!!

Hope you guys can help.

Thanks Chris.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 07:02 AM

I will be running Methanol/Water injection soon. It's a supplemental system controlled by an AEM EMS to give knock protection, cooling and added fueling. You can run any mixture of methanol with the system you want, but more methanol equals more lubricant (klotz) needed and more maintenance.

It is possible to run straight propane and straight methanol, but it would be a major hastle for the setup and maintenance. Check out Anarky on the supraforums. His Supra is going to run propane for daily driving with throttleless operation, and have methanol for WOT.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 07:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you run Methanol on stock engine, make sure you mix that with regular fuel (93).
Old Jun 2, 2004, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

thanks guys.

what proportions do you have to mix methanol/regular fuel to get a better fuel but not something that will not melt the fuel lines, screw up the pump, require a oil change every week? do you see a performance gain from running water and methonal over just water?

i thought propane was a gas? is he running a gas system like the LGP gas systems you can get over here? what are the advantages? i thought you got slightly less power running LPG. what about the weight of the gas tank?

no one know anything about nitro methane????????

HELP PLEASE?

thanks again Chris.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 08:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The mix ratio is on the Owners manual.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 07:49 PM

First off, don't pour methanol into your gas tank. The system is a methanol injection system that is very similar to a nitrous oxide system. It injects a fine mist of methanol and water (you pick the percentage) into the intake stream before the thottlebody. The mixture vaporizes and goes into your combustion chambers. There is a second tank (3 gallon), and as I repeat you can run any mixture of alcohol and water you want. You need a lubricant (klotz) added to the methanol to protect various metals. The 50/50 methanol system reduce knock and is the equivalent of running race gas all day long. If you use straight methanol in the system and go for the high flow kit, you can use your stock fuel system and large turbos. The inventor runs a stock fuel system and a T78 turbo.

Forget nitromethane, it's an Evo and I'm sure you haven't maxed out your potential enough to want some crazy science expirement. He's planning on injecting propane (104 octane) and controling it with the AEM EMS. This can also be throttless because more propane equals higher rpms, less equals lower.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the info. anyone got any links?

chris
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:35 AM

Do a websearch on methanol fuel system design before you seriously entertain that idea. Methanol is hygroscopic - meaning it absorbs water. Meaning you cant let the car sit with fuel in the tank (it'll absorb water from the atmosphere), meaning your steel tank will rust from the inside out, meaning that anything steel in the entire fuel system will get killed in fairly short order, at least in daily driver terms. Replacing your fuel system regularly would suck.

However you arent the only one entertained by the idea of a turbo-nitro combination - I seriously wonder why some import drag guys havent built nitro cars yet. Seems they would fly...

Matt
Old Jun 3, 2004, 05:52 AM

College67: www.derekdevises.com There are around 100 people using methanol injection with zero problems. Like I said, you need lubricant to stop the corrosion. This is entirely seperate from your fuel system and all the components in this system are methanol tested. Have you ever seen the precautions they take at NHRA events when handling nitro-methane?
Old Jun 3, 2004, 05:54 AM

Meth is ment more as a spray like say your IC. I have used this for IC spray on Turbo integra type R's.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

metaphysical. very nice link mate. loads of info.

thanks alot. Chris
Old Jun 7, 2004, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

annyone else??????????
Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Bump!