Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Safc?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2004, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safc?

Hey all! Current WRX owner, future EVO owner, but I have a few questions.

I've tooled around this site for a bit, and after reading what mods people have, I noticed that most people have a SAFC-II or something similar. With the WRX, some sort of engine management would do. The a/f controller is not really needed.

Couldn't the air/fuel be controlled via a reflash/dynoflash, or UTEC perhaps? Or with the EVO do you need to get the a/f controller despite the added engine management?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 08:02 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by gorf
Hey all! Current WRX owner, future EVO owner, but I have a few questions.

I've tooled around this site for a bit, and after reading what mods people have, I noticed that most people have a SAFC-II or something similar. With the WRX, some sort of engine management would do. The a/f controller is not really needed.

Couldn't the air/fuel be controlled via a reflash/dynoflash, or UTEC perhaps? Or with the EVO do you need to get the a/f controller despite the added engine management?
Hi,

The piggy backs (SAFC-II etc) where available first as a carry over from the 4G63 DSM experience. Tuners quickly figured out the the wiring and developed fuel maps for the piggy backs.

As time passed, turners gained experience and knowledge of the ECU and started offering flashes as well as stand alone engine management sysems. (EMS). Today we have SAFC's, XEDES', flashes and standalones (i.e. AEM, UTEC) for your tuning pleasure. Some owners use both a flash and piggy back utilizing a 93 octane map flash matching their mods for daily driving and the SAFC for pulling additional fuel when buring race gas. Lots of options now.

Have fun!

Speedlimit..
Old Jun 6, 2004, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great! Thanks for the info.