Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi - why it's good they're so f^&*ed up

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2004, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi - why it's good they're so f^&*ed up

So I was thinking about this the other day: Everyone seems to agree to at least some extent that Mitsubishi has not been managed well, and, as a company, they seem to not be on the ball. And I definitely agree with that, and would never even consider a if it weren't for the EVO. However, isn't it possible that, in some small way, it's because they don't have their sh|t together that they allowed us to have a car that is ridiculously close to a race car, geared towards a youth market that doesn't have any $$$ to buy it? I mean, would a company in their RIGHT mind do such a thing? I think not.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

subarus doing the same...
Old Jun 5, 2004, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by danc
So I was thinking about this the other day: Everyone seems to agree to at least some extent that Mitsubishi has not been managed well, and, as a company, they seem to not be on the ball. And I definitely agree with that, and would never even consider a if it weren't for the EVO. However, isn't it possible that, in some small way, it's because they don't have their sh|t together that they allowed us to have a car that is ridiculously close to a race car, geared towards a youth market that doesn't have any $$$ to buy it? I mean, would a company in their RIGHT mind do such a thing? I think not.
I think it requires good engineering and a lot of thought more than being out of your mind. The EVO isn't necessarily directed towards a youth market. It's directed towards enthusiasts of all kinds who would rather get around a track faster than have cruise control and leather. And there are a lot of those people out there. In otherwords, no the EVO is not a result of bad management. It's the result of some rally races, some engineering, marketing classes, and a prayer for sales in North America, all thrown in a blender, that brought the EVO to the U.S. If it was a bad decision to do this then the STI would never have made it to our shores, let alone the WRX itself.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can't segment a market based on demographics. You can ONLY segment a market based on needs/wants. Demographics can only give you an idea of what happened. If you want to market a product, it is a bad idea to target a specific age, sex, income, etc. group rather than anyone who is interested.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

I'd like to know how much a new Evo is in other parts of the world and what it would cost in American dollars. Are we getting a good deal vs. Asia and Europe?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

That said, where is the dam Skyline in the USA dealerships?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SinCityEvo
I'd like to know how much a new Evo is in other parts of the world and what it would cost in American dollars. Are we getting a good deal vs. Asia and Europe?
I've seen conversions of numbers, and it seems that in some places over seas, we could be paying up to 40k USD for an EVO. I'm not exactly sure of this, but just some random figures I've seen thrown around.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
I think it requires good engineering and a lot of thought more than being out of your mind. ... If it was a bad decision to do this then the STI would never have made it to our shores, let alone the WRX itself.
No question it requires a lot of good engineering, it's a great car. The point is, if they were concerned about making a safe move, or they had better mainstream cars, or they were asking themselves questions like "Is this aggressive of a steering ratio really right for a mainstream American market?" would they have released the EVO here the way it is, or at all? Other than the STi/WRX, there's nothing like it here. And Subaru had already gotten their feet wet with the RS, then WRX, then finally STi. The base Lancer does not compare to a GC8 Impreza RS.

Last edited by danc; Jun 5, 2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SinCityEvo
Evos are now around US$90,000 in this part of the world, thanks to taxes. At one point the Evo 6s were going for US$105,000. With a price like that you would expect that the cars would be rare, but it's not. I see at least one other Evo every day. It may not be too far fetched to say we have the highest concentration of Evos per square mile in the world.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZeroFrost
The costs to convert it to LHD is far greater than the profits accumulated.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by ZeroFrost
look for it on 06 or 07, the gtr skyline that is. the skyline is already over here, its just called a 350z.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by earl lee
look for it on 06 or 07, the gtr skyline that is. the skyline is already over here, its just called a 350z.
um, no, it's called the G35. the 350z in japan is the Fairlady Z.