Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

bushing problems

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2004, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bushing problems

i installed the 2 piece bushing and the 8 piece bushing from speed source. when the car is idling or when the engine is not on, shifting through each gear feels like butter. however, once i start driving the car, it grinds 3rd gear, and whenever im at a stop popping it into 1st gear, i can feel it rattling as if it wants to pop out of gear. sometimes, it doesnt even completely go into 1st gear. it feels like there are pieces of rocks in my gear since its so hard to shift. it also feels as if there are two "clicks" as i shift into a gear from neutral.
i believe i did install everything correctly, since i used directions from speed source as well as how to installation from a forum. anyone else experience this? i have 300 miles on my car, do you think this is the problem since my car isnt broken in yet?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 12:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I suspect that with only 300 miles on the car, its not completely broken in yet to be certain if what your feeling is a problem.. BUT I can tell you from experience that after upgrading the shifters and the bushings on my car improved the ability to shift, but it felt more mechanical and direct.. in some cases felt a bit notchy as if the alignment isn't perfect.

If you can, take out the bushings from the tranny levers (under the hood) and put the stock ones back on.. put a few thousand miles on the car.. let the transmission get fully broken in.. then put them back in.. Besides, if you have to bring it in for any service with those bushings, they could potentially use them as an excuse for synchro damage if you need any warranty service. (My dealership doesn't particularly care.. but keep it in mind)

I'm going to recommend to you, what I recommend to anyone else who's just gotten a brand new evo.. Drive the car STOCK for a few thousand miles.. get comfortable with what is normal for this car.. THEN start modifying it.. TRUST ME, you'll be alot happier because it will allow you to get a feel for the car, and what is right and wrong.. It'll also allow you to make decisions on modifications based on what your realistic needs and desires are.. and not the fantasy "HP Numbers" game..
Old Jun 6, 2004, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malibu Jack is dead on. Put some miles on the car without changing anything and really get a feel for what you have. After that take some time to carefully decide what changes will make the most difference to you, and research them.