Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Get ready to laugh.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2004, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm... Interesting story, this has happened many times to me with several cars.. Simple solution: Drive backwards for a seconds or two, problem usually solved after that
'
Old Jun 8, 2004, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoRs
Hmm... Interesting story, this has happened many times to me with several cars.. Simple solution: Drive backwards for a seconds or two, problem usually solved after that
'
Actually I did try reverse for a little to bit while i was waiting for the tow trunk. Same sound. By that point I was really getting scared of subjecting the transmisison to undo wear. Of course, now I feel like I was being paranoid...

d
Old Jun 8, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Glad it turned out ok man. I know how it feels to worry about your car, that is a horrible feeling! Oh and thanks for writing a clear and well-written story. It's nice to read something that has sentences and words spelled correctly, and thank goodness it had a good outcome!
Old Jun 8, 2004, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, feel fortunate. Roadside assistance took 2 1/2 hours when I had a minor problem and then the guy hooked my car up to the wrong mount and when we were on a down hill incline the whole car broke loose and rolled thru the metal bar on the front of the tow truck. Over $5000 in damage and the company that did the repair work did a crappy job. My hood chips paint from the wind. The first week i had more paint chips on my hood than I had in 8 months of driving the Evo. My hood looks like a teenager with a severe complexion problem. Yeah and when I took it back to have it done right and let them honor their 100% satisfaction guaranteed warranty on their services the owner tells me that the excessive chipping is normal and that I must be driving in places where a lot of trucks are dropping rocks or kicking up rocks. etc Oh but he will give me a deal on repainting and they will put a clearcoat finish to protect it this time. Shouldn,t that be done already? NO. You got oem no more no less. BSBSBS. My stock paint had no chipping problems. Went on for ever so don't feel bad I got royally screwed.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 08:59 AM

Good news is always good.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

whew!
Old Jun 8, 2004, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Dude... you drove the car right from the delivery truck? Did you make sure the shipping blocks between the springs were removed???
Old Jun 8, 2004, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

lol lol now thats a good one!
Old Jun 9, 2004, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8nj
Holey S.... is there a cliff notes for this post???

hahaha.. it was entertaining though.. and it had a happy ending too.

so .. how was shrek?hahah
HAHAHAH Cliff notes!! HAHAH! glad it wasnt anything serious man!
Old Jun 9, 2004, 04:18 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Holey S.... is there a cliff notes for this post???
Whatsamatta? Don't you like "rock" and "roll" stories?

My "regular" EVO is The Great Mystery Sound Machine. I can only imagine how much worse it is on an RS with even less acoustic insulation.

Just wait 'till winter, when (after being parked outside for the day) ice flaking off the coil springs sounds like the suspension is coming apart.

Bigger rocks could be a problem, though. A rock once wedged itself between the steering push rod and the inside of the rim on my ST165, with the following result:
Attached Thumbnails Get ready to laugh.-rimmer-s.jpg  
Old Jun 9, 2004, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DGS
Whatsamatta? Don't you like "rock" and "roll" stories?

My "regular" EVO is The Great Mystery Sound Machine. I can only imagine how much worse it is on an RS with even less acoustic insulation.

Just wait 'till winter, when (after being parked outside for the day) ice flaking off the coil springs sounds like the suspension is coming apart.

Bigger rocks could be a problem, though. A rock once wedged itself between the steering push rod and the inside of the rim on my ST165, with the following result:

Is that a K-mart special rim? I have never seen anything like that before. wow! hope noone was hurt and hope the car escaped further damage.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 05:33 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Is that a K-mart special rim? I have never seen anything like that before. wow! hope noone was hurt and hope the car escaped further damage.
Toyota stock rim. The rock was holding the inside of the rim while the AWD was trying to twist the hub -- like opening an Oreo cookie.
The only other time I've seen a rim split like this was on a tire machine, with a rim too wide for the machine.

The steering pushrod separated, the tire explosively decompressed and folded under the wheel, so the car went for a short ballistic bounce. Fortunately, this happend leaving a tight 2nd gear corner -- but you'd only get enough steering displacement to pick up a rock that size at low speeds. Straightening the wheel while pulling away from the apex just wedged it more firmly in place.

No actual injuries, although I was sore for a week, after my old rallye reflexes called on muscles I hadn't pushed that hard for a while. I didn't even stall the engine. ("When in doubt, both legs out": clutch and brakes.) (Although the '80s ABS went nuts, so the brakes weren't much help -- especially while airborne.)

The insurance company covered a new tire, rim, pushrod, and a little body work (historic roads have no shoulder). But the suspension adjustments led to a multi-year series of shop blunders that resulted in my giving up and replacing the stock suspension with DMS coilovers. (The ST165 was a homologation design that followed the WRC car changes from month to month: no two were exactly alike. Few shops had ever seen even one. A local Toyota dealer even told me that there was no such car, despite mine being parked out front.)
Old Jun 9, 2004, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Crufty Dusty
Dude... you drove the car right from the delivery truck? Did you make sure the shipping blocks between the springs were removed???
Not 'straight' from the truck. They always have (or maybe just 'should') do an arrival inspection and a roll test. But yeah, close enough. Off the truck, into the prep bay, out the door, then i got in...
Old Jun 9, 2004, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by donour
Ready for this? "Pebble stuck in the brake housing." He hands me a plastic bag. Inside is a tiny little piece of lakeshore drive. Relief.

d
I had THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME last year. Except I crawled under the car and found the problem. It took awhile to find something that I could use in the car to pry the pebble out from between the rotor and dust shield.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by EvoRs
'
Tried this when I had this happen to me - didn't fix it. Had to pry the pebble out.