Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

intercooler bug screen

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2004, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intercooler bug screen

A couple of nights ago I made a intercooler bug screen using window mesh. After running it for 2 days I can say it does keep the bugs out. But at the loss of alot of power. It has been about 88 degrees the past few days, and the car felt down on power big time after the installation. After work today I accelerated good a few times with the screen on, then before as I got on the freeway, on the onramp, I pulled over, yanked the screen, then gave it a good run. There was a night a day difference. Especially above 5k rpm. So I think I will only run the bug screen during early morning and dusk when the bugs are out the most. It must create extra stress on the engine having the hotter air enter, so it makes less power. It would probably be wise to not accelerate hard with one of those on, to avoid detonation.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

where can i get custom colored carpet for my evo?

like red?
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ASTROEVO
like red?
What the
Old Jun 7, 2004, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

i did the same thing - ran it with it, and ran it without. didn't notice any difference..
Old Jun 8, 2004, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Can you please provide some actual measurments of your before and after tests. "A feeling " is compeletely worthless. By how many degrees was your engine hotter with the mesh than without?
Old Jun 8, 2004, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

I have been running screen for 6 months

I have been running with the screen on mine for 6 months. No engine temp difference. When I went to a dyno day I had the screen in and I have the highest output there in my mod level vs. cars without and without the screen. I live in southern Louisiana and we have an average of 90% humidity year round and plenty of 90+ days already this year. So, I would think that is this caused a increased temp I would have noticed by now. I have never noticed that the screen caused any drop in performance. I only gives the benifit of protecting the intercooler. Oh, and I liked it so I covered the two upper radiator openings too. Still no increase in engine temp. I would reccomened this DIY mod to anyone.

Just my 2 cents....
Old Jun 8, 2004, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

No difference in performance for me with the screen on or off.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

ditto on the screen...no decrease in cooling performance (except for the part of keeping intercool destroying homing rocks out)

jcnel.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lightsped
No difference in performance for me with the screen on or off.

.. agreeed..
if there is any difference, it's minimal at best. Have had mine on for two weeks now and i will always run with it now. The added protection from stones and bugs is great!