Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Always wondered but afraid to ask...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2004, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always wondered but afraid to ask...

For those that know about Dynoing our cars: How do you set up the EVO on a 2 wheel dyno since it's AWD? I always wanted to know but never thought about asking. Thanks for any help.

Brent
Old Jun 7, 2004, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant imagine that being very good for the transmission...but you could just remove the driveshaft that goes from the transmission to the rear diff.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

you know there are 4wd dynos right?
Old Jun 7, 2004, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tanner_Hall
you know there are 4wd dynos right?
Yeah, but I am thinking more along the lines of doing emissions testing such as the new CA smog tests...what happens if the place only has a 2wd dyno? I know I don't have to worry about since I won't need to do it for at least 5 years BUT it just sparked my interest...

Is the Dynojet 4wd or 2wd and why do some people talk about dyno numbers being lower on an awd dyno vs. the Dynojet...Someone please clarify. Thanks!

Brent
Old Jun 7, 2004, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

its my understanding that in order to dyno an AWD car on a 2wd dyno, you need to undo the driveline to the rear two wheels and then do your pull. personally I would just find a AWD dyno.

I didn't think that emissions testing would EVER put your car on a dyno. my understanding was:

1. visual inspection
2. a "sniffer" test, where they have you idle the car and use a device to read the emissions levels
Old Jun 7, 2004, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

As of now, there are no smog shop that does AWD emissions testing since the machine is a little more expensive. But in order for a shop to do smog, they are required and giving a certain amount of time to purchase a AWD dyno. In cali. they only do sniffer and visual on AWD cars.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ex-honda
As of now, there are no smog shop that does AWD emissions testing since the machine is a little more expensive. But in order for a shop to do smog, they are required and giving a certain amount of time to purchase a AWD dyno. In cali. they only do sniffer and visual on AWD cars.
That's interesting. Thanks for the info! Another advantage to having an AWD car in CA.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ex-honda
Agreed...........