Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Evo VIII info!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2002, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Pimpson
WRC. If I had a VII I would definetly rally it as much as possible. I understand that the feature only comes in use when yaw is detected on the rear wheels, but this would seriously inhibit anyone trying to drift in the car. Me personally I would let everythin else in the car that was designed to give it the traction it has take car of keeping me safe but I would definetly want to get it sideways as much as possible. Only car i ever drove with a yaw controller was a Vette and I don't believe it ever kicked in since I was in traffic etc. etc. But rest assured I've not new to the Yaw concept and I would strip it just like a pro rally driver would.
The Vette does not have AYC anything like an Evo. It has a stability control system. Please reread the link I posted.

No other road car in the world has an AYC system like the Evo. The Skyline has some systems when used in combination do a similar thing. Your experience in the Vette does not apply. You can drift a car with AYC.

I does not come into effect only when yaw is detected at the rear wheels. AYC actually promotes some oversteer when first turning into a corner. On the exit it increases understeer just to balance the car on power out. It also improves traction when the rear wheels have differing grip levels.

All the top WRC cars have active diffs. Pro rally drivers spend a lot of time tuning their active diffs. That is the key I believe development time.

If you have not driven and Evo IV or later, a Skyline or a Porsche 959 then yes you are new to Evo-style AYC.
Erik

Last edited by erikgj; Sep 25, 2002 at 08:35 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I understand that the feature only comes in use when yaw is detected on the rear wheels, but this would seriously inhibit anyone trying to drift in the car.
No, this is not completely true. AYC is sensitive to much more than the individual speed of the rear wheels. Other things that affect it are steering angle sensor, throttle positioning sensor, G sensors, hand brake position, and probably speed of the front wheels as well.

Also posted by Pimpson
Me personally I would let everything else in the car that was designed to give it the traction it has take car of keeping me safe but I would definitely want to get it sideways as much as possible. Only car I ever drove with a yaw controller was a Vette and I don't believe it ever kicked in since I was in traffic etc. etc. But rest assured I've not new to the Yaw concept and I would strip it just like a pro rally driver would.
Strip it means, you would take it out? I really hope not, especially if you have a rally in your mind.

Have fun!

Mr. AWD
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by erikgj

No other road car in the world has an AYC system like the Evo.
Erik
The 1997-2001 Prelude SH has AYC. That is what it's ATTS (active torque transfer system) does. I am very familar with it and love it--I have a 98 Prelude SH. This is why I am hoping my Evo comes with it. To me it is a huge selling point and if it is an option, I will pay whatever they want.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Erick. I really am struggling to grasp the differences on an active yaw controller between two cars. Thanks for the suggestion to re read your post. I'm not talking about traction control. Yaw being detected at the sideslip angles of the car, I get it. To me the benefits are not great and the weight added is a hinderence along with the intrusive action of the AYC. K. Anywayz the VIII does look proper without fog lights, but it looks less like a rally car and more like a power sedan.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Erick. I really am struggling to grasp the differences on an active yaw controller between two cars. Thanks for the suggestion to re read your post. I'm not talking about traction control. Yaw being detected at the sideslip angles of the car, I get it. To me the benefits are not great and the weight added is a hinderence along with the intrusive action of the AYC. K. Anywayz the VIII does look proper without fog lights, but it looks less like a rally car and more like a power sedan.
Well they are completely different you might have to take my word for it then. I'm not talking about traction control either that is a third technology. The Evo does not have traction control either. I will admit the AYC is misnamed. How do you know that the AYC in intrusive on an Evo VII?

Erik
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not talking about traction control. Yaw being detected at the sideslip angles of the car, I get it. To me the benefits are not great and the weight added is a hinderence along with the intrusive action of the AYC.
This is another thing that is missed about the active drivetrain that is on EVO 7. AYC is not there to give you more traction on the wheel that has the grip. At least, that is not the main reason for its existence. The main reason for the active drivetrain is to have the car that is nimble, rotates well, and it doesn't push. All of those are typical natural behaviors for the passive AWD systems that we can find around.

By fixing this you also get more stability of the car, but not because it has more traction on the wheels that have grip. Sometimes, it might be even completely opposite. If you as a driver request from the car to turn, most often doing so with only the front wheels is not good enough. Especially if the front wheels are driven as well (typical FWD that requires higher slip angle to do the same thing as the RWD car). So, you have an AYC to help here. After you start turning your steering wheel, AYC starts to send more power to the outside wheel and makes it to spin more than the inside one (opposite from what would standard slip limiting device do). That creates rotation of the rear end of the car together with the front end too that front wheels are doing.

Since the whole car is now turned where it needs to go fairly quickly, turn angle on the front stays rather low, so tires have even more grip overall. The second part of the work requirement for the AYC is that ones you turned your car enough, you start to correct your steering angle and that makes your AYC to send more power to the inside wheel instead (reliving the outside wheel just for the cornering) and also to the front wheels (which is done by the ACD). That overall stops the rotation of the car and starts to move it more straight and allows earlier throttle application than any other car around.

The best example of this is in that video that is running around (EVOs, M3s and Maranellos) around 4:03 time stamp. In the right hand turn GT-A is rotating in the rear before it even gets to rotate in the front. M3 looses it right after that, but if you look at the GT-A, you would see what this is all about.

Hope this helps...

Mr. AWD
Old Sep 27, 2002, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by broeli
One more thing: It is likely the Evo won't come with ayc or acd from what I was told.
If is trying to cut cost, and increase profit, this is a good place to do it. Introducing it without the 6 spd is also a good place of cutting cost.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

There is more of a concern about reliabilty and warranty issues with the ayc/acd than about cost. I think the 6-speed falls along those reasons also. They will see how it holds up in the j-spec Evo and further testing and maybe then we'll get it.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Fuel Tank

There was also a rumor in another post that is removing the AYC/ACD to have more space for a larger gas tank...
Old Sep 27, 2002, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Fuel Tank

Originally posted by evomk8
There was also a rumor in another post that is removing the AYC/ACD to have more space for a larger gas tank...
If you take a look at this picture of EVO 7, you will see that the gas tank sits before the AYC and extra size that unit has (basically, wider in the axle plane) doesn't interfere with it.

Mr. AWD
Attached Thumbnails New Evo VIII info!-undercaridge.jpg  
Old Sep 28, 2002, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by evomk8
Were you not awake when this was posted?

"The EVO VIII has been confirmed for production and the first cars are likely to be delivered in February 2003. For the first time ever Mitsubishi's flagship model is going to be sold officially in the American Market and there are rumours that the car will make its debut at the Detroit Motor Show (Jan 5th) and not in Japan.

Mitsubishi Japan is working on some fairly major mechanical changes. Chief amongst these is a new six-speed gearbox mated to a revised four-wheel-drive system that retains the fantastic ACD and AYC chassis systems. There will also be improvements to the already impressive Brembo brakes.

There were early reports that the car might feature Mitsubishi's advanced GDI technology for the engine but it would seem they will stick with the superb 4G63 engine. The engine output will still be limited to the 280ps Japanese "agreement" but it is likely to be revised with more torque and flexibility."

Official info recieved from Litchfeild Imports, who had one of the first Evo VII's in the country, and tested for eight months. So, they are a pretty reliable source when it comes to EVO info.

Old Sep 28, 2002, 08:18 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Yes it will officially be sold in the American market but that doesn't mean we'll get the same specs as the rest of the world...
Old Sep 28, 2002, 08:56 AM

I may have missed this, but I don't want to scroll a hundred or so entries... you could just shoot me, but "Are we getting the Recaro seats?"
Old Sep 28, 2002, 08:59 AM

Yes.

I think those are definately coming.
Old Sep 28, 2002, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

I'll sum it up: 265+hp(likely 265-270), Brembo brakes, Recaro seats (of some sort), No ayc/acd, no 6-speed. Same 5-speed as Evo VII. It'll have an lsd setup. No Ralliart in the US. No Ralliart dealer affiliation. The front bumper will give better aerodynamics and improved flow to intercooler, improved carbon fiber rear wing....etc...etc..that kind of sums it up..

Quick Reply: New Evo VIII info!