Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Evo VIII info!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
erikgj,
Don't get me wrong I like ayc/acd. But not at the cost of reliabilty and weight. I am into messing with cars and all kinds of electric/mechanical systems also. I have a mechanical engineering background myself and can appreciate advances in the auto industry. I am really curious to see how the US Evo will compare with the Evo VII. Hopefully we'll see a few tests in the near future
Old Oct 21, 2002, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

If Mitsubishi's automotive components have to meet life-cycle requirements that are similar to Ford, GM, and Chrysler, then there should be minimal reliability concerns for AYC/ACD, given normal use and maintenance. If a component doesn't pass validation testing, then it doesn't get put in a car. That's how it is for automotive suppliers, including the one at which I work. Our electro-mechanical products are cycle-tested under a wide-range of environmental conditions for three times their intended life-cycle.
Even though it is waning, my hope still exists that Mitsubishi will keep the high-tech features in the Evo for the U.S., and not give us a lesser product than what the rest of the world will see. They'll have to train U.S. Mitsu dealers how to service and repair the AYC/ACD, but that shouldn't be a roadblock to giving us those features. New technology is constantly introduced to automobiles. Besides, if an Evo owner had a major problem with one of these systems, then the dealer would probably replace the whole thing instead of wasting time diagnosing it.
The additional weight of these systems is a non-issue if it increases the overall performance of the car.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 07:02 PM

I'm really confused as to why a lot of members here believe AYC/ACD is not a big deal. Somone had posted (and I'll be damned if i can find it) that AYC/ACD is only important if you plan to do a lot of rally racin. I guess these people don't get snow or rain in there area. Havin AYC/ACD makes a huge difference when your sliddin around on slushy roads.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by shirokuma
Too many variables to state that AYC/ACD are necessary for maximum performance, also.
Well, unless they figure out some better way to mechanically control the center diff, I believe this is the fact! AWD cars have a natural tendency to oversteer and this is definitely one of the ways to correct that. There are probably other ways to do it, but as of now, I don't know of anything else.

Also, this system is not there just for the control of the understeer. It also helps stabilizing the car it self under the acceleration in the straight line (not just the turns) and braking. That is why this system is coupled with the Sport ABS and everything works as one system.

Now, on the other hand those are the parts that are build for the mass production and subject to failures. How much of that is going to affect future EVOs and they active gadgets, we will know pretty soon, I guess!

...also posted by shirokuma
And nearly every sports car, muscle car and GT car now understeers from the factory. The question is, is it because of fundamental issues, such as chassis setup and balance, or is it because of suspension tuning? For instance, the Camaro/Firechicken understeer from the factory - and after you realign them to setting that do something besides hitting guardrails nose first, they oversteer.

(and if you wonder why, consider this. If you sue a manufacturer claiming a car's handling is dangerous, it is easier for the manufacturer to counter your suit if you went in nose first instead of tail first. The former clearly indicates you were going to fast - the latter is far more ambigous).
I think you answered your question kind of your self. Today's cars understeer from the factory mainly due to the one reason. Insurance!! Everything starts here and everything ends here. That is why we have so many more FWD cars around. The main thing is that ones you start loosing control of the car, understeer is so easy to correct. Just hit the brakes and car will start to slow down an turn. If you start to loose your rear end, hit the gas and it will stop!

On the other hand, cars that oversteer are so much harder to control. Ones you start to loose that rear end, if you lift the throttle things get even worse. If you smash it to the floor, well... The only way is to keep it under that threshold and if you are inexperienced driver, it is not that easy and accidents are higher possibility and that brings us back to the insurance!

Later

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by broeli

You are right on with my thinking. If it was another company I may not be so worried about reliabilty issues.
Hell, you know it can't be too reliable if Mitsu themselves are worried. That is THE reason it's rumored that it's not being brought to the US. I was told reliabilty/warranty issues.
reliability issues... this is getting REAL old.

U.S. perception of quality is heavily influenced by DSM products. Which are, it is fair to say, not as reliable as their U.S. made Honda and Toyota counterparts.
The recall in 2000 obviously did not help either. HOWEVER, speaking from a Europen perspective, which get JDM models, the cars are considered to be equal to Toyota and Honda.
Regarding the recall, Subaru did exactly the same thing as a few years ago and had to recall 2 million cars. For a low volume manufacturer like them, that was a huge. Look at them today, they have a nearly impeccable reputation.

Also, Honda and Toyota are not immune to recalls, the following links may enlighten...

http://www.crash-worthiness.com/
http://www.uautono.com/recalls.html
Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:47 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Thank you evomk8! An Evo is not a DSM nor will it ever be (I hope...)
Old Oct 22, 2002, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

yeah...the dealers starting giving order#'s for the WRX in December '00 (1st allocation)...I received my car in March 12 '01...
Old Oct 22, 2002, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

of course ayc/acd is great, but you really wouldn't need it for rain or whatever if you obey the limits. Plus, AWD regardless of acy/acd is a benefit to weather. Thus i see no point in ayc/acd for myself, since i dont plan on going 90 when its snowing or 130 when its raining.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Wow I find this thread funny how they bash a lot on the japanese industries. Where people are like damn mitsu for not giving the car we want. Why can't we have ayc? why are they downgrading our car. Honestly I don't care because I currently own a lancer, just finished paying it off, so i am debating if to sell it and use the money and put enough to be around 20k downpayment on a evo when it comes out. I am hoping the price will be under 30k because that will just make it so much more interesting. But back onto subject don't blame the japanese industries as much as you want. Look deeper and realize why the car isn't like that. Ever think about the laws and regulations are government ****s out everyday that just make more things illegal and don't really protect us but still put money in your friendly cops wallet. Just an idea. Take what you want out of it. Now back to my plans on getting a new car.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Hands up all the AYC/ADC advocates who have actually driven the cars? No, that does not include the thirty-minute test drive. What I’m looking for is fair level of familiarity.

My firm and unshakeable opinion after four years behind the wheel is that in the case of AYC, I don’t want it anymore. This seems to be a fairly common view of posters with personal experience.

A lot of what I have seen in this thread reads like a Mitsubishis brochure. I have come across articles in magazines where I suspect plagiarism could be proven if Mitsubishi pressed the case. Damn story read like a shop manual.

I had a professor who lectured us briefly one semester. He was a big guy from somewhere in Texas. In between making us think and work really hard, he said many simple but wise things. Stuff like, “There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch” and “Don’t believe everything you read”. I think of him often.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Braf
Hands up all the AYC/ADC advocates who have actually driven the cars? No, that does not include the thirty-minute test drive. What I’m looking for is fair level of familiarity.

My firm and unshakeable opinion after four years behind the wheel is that in the case of AYC, I don’t want it anymore. This seems to be a fairly common view of posters with personal experience.

A lot of what I have seen in this thread reads like a Mitsubishis brochure. I have come across articles in magazines where I suspect plagiarism could be proven if Mitsubishi pressed the case. Damn story read like a shop manual.

I had a professor who lectured us briefly one semester. He was a big guy from somewhere in Texas. In between making us think and work really hard, he said many simple but wise things. Stuff like, “There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch” and “Don’t believe everything you read”. I think of him often.
That professor is wise. Did he invent those sayings?

Thanks for your opinion of the AYC. Why is it that you don't want it anymore? How do you feel it compromises the handling on your car?

While it is nice to hear from an Evo V owner, I'd like to know what Evo VII owners think. That car is more directly related to what the U.S. Evo will be.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, these and other sayings are original thoughts of his. I asked his permission before quoting them here. Confucius used some of his stuff too.

The transition from AYC active to AYC off affects the cars handling for obvious reasons. I don’t like the effect, you have to anticipate and correct for the change.

I am not condemning the technology; given time perhaps it can be made more worthwhile. Then again it may also go the rout of 4WS and be abandoned as too much liability for too little reward.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Have in mind that your experience is based on the older EVO model and that active drivetrain has changed lately. Especially on EVO 7 and most of the people who drove it has notice a difference from the previous models. Also, the same goes for the people (you included) with the experience on pre-EVO 7 models that where not that happy with AYC by it self.

On the other hand, since the introduction of the active drivetrain, Evolution models have won a lot of races and Championships
Your professor was a smart man!

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 24, 2002, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

I have driven the Evo 7 GSR. Had one at my disposal for about three months. I considered buying the car but decided to keep my 5. I was just too lazy to start all over again. All the things I had done to my 5 still needed to be done to the 7. Exhaust, ECU, suspension, clutch, and intake all need looking at to give me what I want.

As you correctly point out my handling concerns relate more to AYC than the ACD. I feel however that both components may present reliability issues.

Guys I am not trying to tell anybody not to buy an AYC/ACD equipped car. All I am saying is if you don’t get these features in your market don’t let it dissuade you from buying an excellent car. Any Evo you get your hands on is going to be a fantastic car with massive potential.

Quick Reply: New Evo VIII info!