Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Evo VIII info!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2002, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just like the tunabilty of the ACD/AYC combination. I've seen five aftermarket ACD-ECU so far. I plan to play with this when my car arrives.

If i don't like the set-up for certain applications I can change it.

Erik
Old Oct 24, 2002, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by Braf
Guys I am not trying to tell anybody not to buy an AYC/ACD equipped car. All I am saying is if you don’t get these features in your market don’t let it dissuade you from buying an excellent car. Any Evo you get your hands on is going to be a fantastic car with massive potential.
Nobody accused you of anything ( at least not yet ), so don't worry!!

About the presence or lack of the ACD/AYC combo, from my point of view, it plays a huge role in the decision whether I am going to buy the new car or not. I already drive modified AWD turbo car and the stock EVO is not comparable to it (well it comes with more doors...). If I want, I could add even more things and make it even better. Among those things, ACD/AYC combo is something that I can't really do and that is why this car is so interesting to me. Without it, it just becomes one of those turbo AWD cars that you see around here today.

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 24, 2002, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On the edge.

Thus i see no point in ayc/acd for myself, since i dont plan on going 90 when its snowing or 130 when its raining.
This has got to be the most logical easy to understand statement I've seen in this thread in a while. I consider all of this talk a bit over my head since, of course, I have never driven an AYC/ACD equipped car, only standard 4wd Mitsubishis. I do realize, like I'm sure most of you do, that this technology was developed out of the need to win, to beat the other team, for people like the WRC drivers to drive their cars ten/tenths all of the time no matter what the conditions. I for one if I am fortunate enough to own an EVO next year will must certainly not be pushing my car to its limits while on wet or icy conditions (nor dry for that matter, unless at a track with plenty of runoff room), nor will I be curious to see how its diffs react (whether mechanical or electronic) otherwise. We must also consider that the cars driven in the WRC are quite a bit more expensive and more sophisticated then the cars we'll be able to buy. It always amazes me that when ever it snows down here (once every four to six years) the most common vehicle I see stuck, flipped, crashed, etc.. are usually four wheel drive trucks and SUV's. Their owners seem to think they're immune to the effects of the weather just because they have 4WD. Meanwhile the rest of us are more careful. I for one am not about to risk losing my 30,000 investment just because there may or may not be a funny three letter acronym under my floorboard, and don't really give a damn that somewhere some Japanese guy got around some track I'll never drive on a second or two faster because of those three letters. I'll be happy to drive a real live supercar that is finally coming to America.

P.S. Our service department doesn't service diffs now. So if you were to break one (active or otherwise), prepare to pony up the cost for an entirely new one, unless it is covered under warranty.

P.S.S. Porsche's and Lamborghini's idea of "4WD" by sending roughly 10-15% of the torque to the front wheels seems like more of a band aid approach to making a butt heavy superpwered car not get away from the common man so easily. The manliest of Porsche's, the GT2 is still 2WD as are the true race versions.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Point taken. But I have to side with Mr.AWD here.
The other view, and I must say that I fall into this category, - is that some of our enthusiasts here are a bit more ... enthusiastic
I push my cars to the limit daily, especially in the corners and curves. I scate, drift, loose traction, slide, drag race, red line constantly, heel toe, hand brake, left foot brake, and yes - occasionally spin out. I would like to think that the Evo monster was built for pushing the limits, and for guys like Mr.AWD and I, the handling capabilities at the limits is crucial. Hence....

Anyone else with info on ACD/AYC , like Mr. Slim Shady - please stand up!!!!
Attached Thumbnails New Evo VIII info!-new-evo8.jpg  
Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Claudius -
Some of my main concerns with buying this car is the reliability of the ACD/AYC and how expensive it is to fix.

Do you have cost figures or any other info??
Old Oct 25, 2002, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Turbo-Ron,

It seems to me that you and I want very similar things from our cars. You admit that you, skate, drift, loose traction and slide your car. If I understand you correctly then you are exactly the wrong person for AYC. AYC will be most rewarding to a person who will not be sliding their car around.

Through a tight chicane AYC will be working hard to apply more push to the frequently changing outside wheel. Thanks but no thanks. I find the handling changes disconcerting and I would rather loose the weight and be allowed to drive the car myself.

If familiar with AWD cars you know that when approaching a corner a small amount of counter steer will help you to get the rear of the car loose. I find AYC makes it harder to break the rear of the car loose.

As you “occasionally spin out”, you know that regaining control of a car in this situation is very difficult. Add to the equation AYC trying its best to “help” and you can quickly find yourself regretting its presence.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

"I push my cars to the limit daily, especially in the corners and curves. I scate, drift, loose traction, slide, drag race, red line constantly, heel toe, hand brake, left foot brake, and yes - occasionally spin out. I would like to think that the Evo monster was built for pushing the limits, and for guys like Mr.AWD and I, the handling capabilities at the limits is crucial. Hence...."

***Note to self***

Don't buy any used Sentra SE-R's from Miami area Mitsubishi dealershps..

huhu

SC
Old Oct 25, 2002, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

You can set up an AWD car with oversteer (loose) or understeer (tight). On a street car without AYC & ACD the car need to be set up with a lot of understeer to be safe in a variety of conditions. AYC & ACD allows the car to be set up safely with more oversteer than normal since it can electronically counteract these bad traits. So yes, AYC could at times add understeer to a chassis, but that is a good thing if you are trying to control a chassis that it already set up to oversteer. Kind of like how a modern fighter plane set up with an aft CG (unstable) but controled by a computer (fly by wire) to keep it stable.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

I am struggling with the fighter jet analogy. The five-buck CPU that runs our AYC system should not be compared with the systems that run an F-18, but whatever.

Ok, I give. All hail to AYC! Your car will be faster and safer with it. Worth every once of extra weight and every buck it costs. The 4,500-mile service interval is not such a big deal and does not bring into question the durability of the components. Best thing since sliced bread. I’m done on this one.

(Shakes head while walking away.)
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Me stubborn?? No way!!!

Ok, I give. All hail to AYC! Your car will be faster and safer with it. Worth every once of extra weight and every buck it costs. The 4,500-mile service interval is not such a big deal and does not bring into question the durability of the components. Best thing since sliced bread. I’m done on this one.

Hey, don't be too hard on your self. There are so many stubborn people around you and you can't fix us all

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am struggling with the fighter jet analogy. The five-buck CPU that runs our AYC system should not be compared with the systems that run an F-18, but whatever.

The five buck cpu would compare favorably with some F-18 systems. There has been some discussion in the UK of extending the service interval on the VII AYC system. It was reduced 4.5K intervals when some V and VI AYCs systems were recalled and has never been restored for the VIIs.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

I am with you Braf
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:26 PM
In Timeout

Agree
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

My question is this: If the evo will be so limited, and each dealer will get 10 or less, a good number of them are spoken for, or will be picked up quickly enough. so why is spending millions on an ad campeign for a car that doesnt need it. you dont see many commercials for halo cars on their own (corvette, viper, supra, rx-7), b/c its a limited market. I'm all for including them in a general company commercial, where it shows it off, along with all the lesser models. just seems a bit pointless to me.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Thwack
My question is this: If the evo will be so limited, and each dealer will get 10 or less, a good number of them are spoken for, or will be picked up quickly enough. so why is spending millions on an ad campeign for a car that doesnt need it. you dont see many commercials for halo cars on their own (corvette, viper, supra, rx-7), b/c its a limited market. I'm all for including them in a general company commercial, where it shows it off, along with all the lesser models. just seems a bit pointless to me.
Well, the future commercial is really not just for the EVO. It is for the Mitsubishi and that is what should bring people to see all the other Mitsubishi cars. If priced right, they will sell bunch of those too.

I would love to see them selling those cars as you mentioned, but things are not that easy in reality. And, bunch of people here that are showing off with the deposits here and there are just doing that!

Compared to the ZO6, Vipers, and other fancy cars is not quite right (even tough, they might end up with similar real world performances). On the other hand, Chevy and others put a lot of efforts into adds about they pickup tracks and other (more accusable to the wider users) regular cars.

Also, there are more schools of advertisement and they don't have to match between the different companies. Subaru seem to be doing well with their WRX commercials all over the place. Do they need to do that?

So, I would open my ayes and look a bit further

Mr. AWD

Quick Reply: New Evo VIII info!