Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Evo VIII info!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2002, 09:35 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, it was a before January. Maybe November or December?
Old Sep 23, 2002, 09:45 AM

I think some people are calling bs on this just because they dont like it. While I dont like it either heres what I think
If what you said is true, then I beleive mitsubishi has made a big mistake. Everthing I read from evo owners says that the ayc/acd is what makes the car so awesome, and upgrading it gives the driver ultimate controll.
I dont think the car you described has very much more than a wrx, as the defenders of this news seem to say "adding a few hp is nothing". And of course brakes and recaros arent that expensive, so wouldnt that make the wrx a better deal? A guy in my hometown has a wrx pushing close to 400 hp with no transmission problems and HARD driving, and I think he has at most 10 k in mods. So whats my edge on him off road? so what if some pro can push a RS faster than a GSR around a track, he's also driving skylines and supercars of the like, Doubt many of the evo owners will be pro racers. I also want to take this car into the dirt and gravel, where the ayc/acd can really work!
The appeal of the evo is getting an awesome car, advanced in most areas of performance, for such a great price. Because thats what the evo is. It's not a car that needs to appeal to the masses, its a halo car, that is known world over for its performance. This coupled with the downgraded looks is not good for mitsu IMO. If you can't bring the real deal, save it, I wont settle for less than an ultimate car, even if the price does raise.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

the ayc/acd is good, but its not needed. If you've never driven it before, than how can you complain? You will never know what you are missing. Secondly, what forum is this in? dont be so fast to ***** people out. Afterall its a rumor forum and no one knows anything. No, that wasn't intended to anyone. Also, does the WRX have ayc/acd? no yes? and why would'nt you be able to go off rounding with the evo, regardless of ayc/acd. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by blackevoVII; Sep 23, 2002 at 09:52 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:02 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think the car you described has very much more than a wrx
http://www.lancerforums.com/forums/s...7&pagenumber=2

Here is my experience with the car. 400hp you say? That requires a huge amount of psi's and probably forged piston. Read in the I-Club about trans. Many have problem and i'm guessing this fried clutch is saving his trans. That trans is not recommended after turbo upgrade. The evo is still closer to the STI not WRX. If stated is true just a little beneth the sti due to the 5-speed. But the evo get extra points on the intercooler and less weight. We'll find out soon enough.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Actually, Brembos and Recaros ARE pretty damn expensive. Ever priced a complete Brembo setup or Recaro seats? Also, it will be alot easier to extract hp from the Evo than the Wrx. The Evo IS coming with a good turbo and fmic also. So I really don't think you can compare the two. Even at 265hp, that would be 40 more than the WRX, and with a few mods the Evo would be over 300hp. BTW, there are no dealer upgrades planned as of yet for the Evo (such as better exhaust, chip, etc.)
I heard that the new design front allows better flow to intercooler and helped in aerodynamics. Although this info wasn't from my "source"
Old Sep 23, 2002, 12:44 PM

well as far as losing the ayc, i dont think it is so big a deal as the acd, it has a more real/physical presence (with the dash bias adjusters), and baiscally says "yea, this is a performance car"
i think losing that would be a big mistake, and as far as the laymen would think, "whats the big deal? its just a lancer"

btw, new guy hehe, been lurking for well over a year now, but since im now planning on placing a deposit as soon as the offical specs and whatnot are released, figure its time for some input hehe
Old Sep 23, 2002, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

My views:

re: 6speed. 6 speed transmissions cost a lot of money when they are initially developed, and take time to make at first. Subaru has found this out themselves - they've had the 6 speed for a bit now, but you still cannot find it on anything but the STi. And the reason is that they simply don't have enough to go around. The factory doesn't make them fast enough, yet, for the amounts they would need if they had it any other car in their lineup. So the question is - do you want to wait another year so you can ship the 6-speed (which also means MMC misses yet another ship date), or do you suck up and ship the tried and true 5-speed - at a lower price?

re: MMC's big mistake on not shipping the AYC/ACD. Well, step back a moment. While the hardcore enthusiast on this board knows about them, what about the slightly limper enthusiasts that simply know the Lancer Evolution nameplate from a few articles and, of course, the Gran Turismo series? They probably don't know nor really care about the AYC/ACD. And I'm pretty sure quite a few potential buyers would balk at the service intervals for such items. An example - the WRX turbo in the States comes with 2-pot front brakes, vs. 4-pots for the JDM version. Why? Americans getting screwed, right? Not exactly - market research pointed to the fact that the greater majority of buyers would prefer not to pay for the expensive pads the 4-pots use, vs. the much cheaper brake pads the 2-pots use. This covers the 6-speed, too - they don't know how well it will hold up yet. Japanese buyers are traditionally used as Beta testers of vehicles, and I believe that this is another case of such. What would you rather have? A 5-speed that can take what you throw at it and keeps on ticking? Or a brand new 6-speed that has a tendency to brake gears because it wasn't fully vetted for bugs yet?

Let's wait and see, why don't we?

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
Old Sep 23, 2002, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Well said........ Your right, I post above about this point and got flamed, Sure we want a Full Blown EVO but its not going to happen right out of the Box... This is about selling cars to make $$$ not to make 2% of the car market happy. Subaru Did the same thing, Thay said thay were only bring in 6,000 WRX's.... 4,000 Wagons, Well thay have sold over 19,000 to date. Now the STI is on the way. Will do the same as the car starts to take off, Then Just Maybe in a year or Two we could get a Full Blown EVO. Think about it.

RALLY ON ////////////////////

I had ment 19,000 WRX's, I was Half A sleep when I posted this reply.

Last edited by TOMMY B; Sep 24, 2002 at 04:11 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 06:26 PM

shirokuma - You're definitely the voice of reason on this forum!
Old Sep 23, 2002, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

That's really funny. I live in Chicago and I am promised a spot for an EVO VIII. Hrmmm. Only 2? So you and me? I DOUBT IT.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gtr
[B]In believing his rumor of being close to true, I've decide to call the dealership on allocation on evos. In the whole dealership in Chicago, IL they are only getting 2 CARS!!! That's from the sales manager. He is also saying he doesn't know anything about the car until maybe during the month of October.

WTF? Big dealership in a city having only 2 cars? OH well, at least i'm fortuante enought to have a spot for this limited car.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TOMMY B
Well said........ Your right, I post above about this point and got flamed, Sure we want a Full Blown EVO but its not going to happen right out of the Box... This is about selling cars to make $$$ not to make 2% of the car market happy. Subaru Did the same thing, Thay said thay were only bring in 6,000 WRX's.... Well thay have sold over 9,000 to date. Now the STI is on the way. Will do the same as the car starts to take off, Then Just Maybe in a year or Two we could get a Full Blown EVO. Think about it.

RALLY ON ////////////////////
SOA planned to bring 10,000 WRX to the US the first year. Immediately raised it to 12k for the year. Eventually they sold 18k in the first 8 months. For SOA it was a huge success.

Plus how often before the WRX had you seen a Subaru of any kind tested in any magazine?

Broeli what is your racing program? Rightly or wrongly, I have felt attacked by broeli before because I bought an imported Evo 7. I tend to believe his latest info only because it matches with the rumors that I have seen for some time. The dates seem right also. This is not a newspaper so there will be a discussion following any info given that’s fine. I hope the Evo VIII come to the states in full JDM spec for all of you here on this board.

My view on AYC/ACD

Adding it will be next to impossible if the US EVOVIII does not have at least some provisions for it. People will be much better off getting a upgraded mechanical diff. I also think the presence of a helical front diff is much more important anyway.

As a robotics engineer I do enjoy computer controlled mechanical systems. I would chosen to have AYC/ACD for the tuning options alone.

BTW the Evo7 ACD/AYC is much improved over the Evo 6 and 6.5. With the K1 sports ACD ECU it will be even better.

Erikgj
Old Sep 23, 2002, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Redkin
shirokuma - You're definitely the voice of reason on this forum!
riiiiiiiiggggghhhhttt.....

No offense to shirokuma, but he's not my voice.

re: MMC's big mistake on not shipping the AYC/ACD. Well, step back a moment. While the hardcore enthusiast on this board knows about them, what about the slightly limper enthusiasts that simply know the Lancer Evolution nameplate from a few articles and, of course, the Gran Turismo series? They probably don't know nor really care about the AYC/ACD. And I'm pretty sure quite a few potential buyers would balk at the service intervals for such items. An example - the WRX turbo in the States comes with 2-pot front brakes, vs. 4-pots for the JDM version. Why? Americans getting screwed, right? Not exactly - market research pointed to the fact that the greater majority of buyers would prefer not to pay for the expensive pads the 4-pots use, vs. the much cheaper brake pads the 2-pots use. This covers the 6-speed, too - they don't know how well it will hold up yet. Japanese buyers are traditionally used as Beta testers of vehicles, and I believe that this is another case of such. What would you rather have? A 5-speed that can take what you throw at it and keeps on ticking? Or a brand new 6-speed that has a tendency to brake gears because it wasn't fully vetted for bugs yet?
The people that are buying this car's first wave are going to be the true enthusiats...they will almost ALL know about the AYC/ACD. They're the one's with the deposits, and Mitsu. knows it.

Hooby
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Hey I'm in Chicago..I better get one too!
Old Sep 23, 2002, 11:22 PM

Hooby...

...you also have to think of it from a business perspective, which most people here seem to be overlooking. Personally, I hope the VIII comes here in full JDM trim for under $30k. I'll be making my deposit here no matter what in a few weeks.

Old Sep 23, 2002, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by Pimpson
if it has the same trans as the VII won't that make at least the ACD an ease swap? what kind of differential will they have then, simply open on both ends?
ACD is not part of the transmision. It is in the transfer case together with the front diff.

Mr AWD

Quick Reply: New Evo VIII info!