Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Evo VIII info!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2002, 06:31 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's really funny. I live in Chicago and I am promised a spot for an EVO VIII. Hrmmm.
If your ordering from chicago the dealership must be Bosak right number 2? I'm saying in chicago, IL!

Of course you could of ordered on at Max Madsen's countryside mitsu or Tom Noe's park ridge mitsu. Both no in chicago but within 15 miles.

So ChicagoMike where have you put your money down at?

Dont' get me wrong Lots of dealerships around chicago but i'm saying downtown their is only one and i was just shocked that they are only getting 2. But if you take a 30mile radius i'm sure their are probabaly at least 8 dealerships. I think your missing my whole point.

Last edited by gtr; Sep 24, 2002 at 06:35 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am with Hooby on this one, I have been reading this thread, and I believe that he is looking at the broadest perspective of this problem. My question is how many different models of cars does mitsubishi have, my bet is a ****load, this means that I think they are going to be more inclined to put the most modern drivetrain available on their new "Flagship," if the evo is to be the basis of their new image, I bet they want to make it as flashy as it can be, in the broader scope, the evolution isnt at the top of their priority list. On more thing to think about, why would they go to all the trouble of developing this highly advanced, highly sophisticated ACD and AYC for the evo VII just to rip it out on the eight??? and dont give me that crap about there will be two models, one for the states, and one for the rest of the world. The resources to change the assembly, or make to assembly lines, designing two drivetrains much outweigh the cost of just sending us the friggin ACD/AYC

Last edited by xcdan; Sep 24, 2002 at 12:58 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

You couldn't be more wrong xcdan. Ever heard of the RS?...that is a production Evo that doesn't come std with ayc/acd and has a close ratio 5-speed. There are several other differences also.
And they aren't just ripping out the ayc/acd..there will be a revised system in the j-spec Evo VIII. Keep in mind the Japanese don't drive NEARLY as much as us in the US...so there are LEGITIMATE reasons not to include such high maintenence pieces for the US. All I have to see is...wait and see...if you don't believe my posted info you'll see for yourself soon enough. Like it or not.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

weight is all speculation, the VII RS weighs in at 3900lbs. (i may be a little high on that tho.) Benefits of recaro seats are they may be lighter but they will be a hell of a lot more comfortable, not like Caddy comfort but with the support a driver needs when pushin the envelope a little. The VII 5 speed is a low geared super quick sprint through the gears. I think that would be much better than a 6 which would be even faster. Almost all rally drivers strip the AYC immediately, the differentials should apear in aftermarkets as soon as the car drops.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Pimpson, Don't you mean 2900lbs?
Old Sep 24, 2002, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

do I? I meant 3900 being gross weight, but you're saying 2900? hmm, Fwd lancer only weighs 200 and some change less?
Old Sep 24, 2002, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Last I checked an Evo VII GSR was 3080 or so lbs. An RS is even lighter. YES, the Evo has a TON of weight saving features...such as aluminum body panels...it is a light awd car.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

I got the brochure pdf from
the GSR is 1400kg and 1320 for RS.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Converted to lbs:
GSR = 3086
RS = 2910
You were only 1000lbs off Pimpson..
Old Sep 24, 2002, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Straight from Japan(okinawa)

We have 2 versions of Evo here...RS and GSR period. The RS is slightly cheaper stripped down version. I.E. no power windows, no air bags and no ACD(on EVO VII). The AYC is offered but only as a option. Same goes for the MOMO steering and RECARO seats.
On my EVO IV (GSR) it came with AYC standard and the power goodies....also auto-climate control and the big PIAA foglights on the front spoiler. Also as an option, I get to choose between get close-ratio tranny or regular geared tranny.(I chose close cuz we do alot of 0-400m. racing and hill climb racing.(Sort of like Intial D without all the drifting)
Old Sep 24, 2002, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know about the RS not having ACD. It does not have AYC and I didn't think it had ACD but some of the reviews of the EVO VII RS Sprint (supposed to be an RS modified by ralliart uk) have said it has ACD and showed pictures. See this page it says ACD ECU under optional extra's http://www.ralliartuk.com/EvoVIIRSSp...hnicalData.asp
I'll see if I can find the article. I am not saying it does have ACD, I thought it didn't, just saying what I read.
Aston

Last edited by astondg; Sep 24, 2002 at 03:56 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

To clarify... the pdf says those figures are "vehicle weight".. i'm
guessing it meant "curb weight"?
Old Sep 24, 2002, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

You may be right, ....ACD was first offered on the VII. So it being the first model..I could have sworn it was only a standard on the GSR and dealer option on the RS. I f Iam mistaken my bad. Anyways, from my experiences..the AYC is for crap. Definitely, not made for racing corners or obstacle course. I replaced it with a CUSCO diff the first year. Help shave a few kilo off my car to boot!
Old Sep 24, 2002, 09:28 PM

I just hope it will not be $30+ thousand dollars for a RS with GSR options. I can't see justifying that kind of money for a car like that when everyone else receives the better version for the same price or even a little more. No disrespect indented to you Broeli that's just how I feel when you posted that Info, partially because I've come to trust a lot of what you have to say about the Evo.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 01:17 AM

I think we are getting a pretty good deal, even if it comes spec'd exactly as Broeli's source has said. We can add the performance parts that we want, rather than having them come attached to the car from the factory at a premium.

When I feel that we are getting a raw deal because our version does not come with ayc and xyz, I compare our situation to that in the UK... to get a brand new Evolution VII (not grey-market, factory warranty, etc) costs about 28,000GBP, which equates to about $45k US. On top of that, gas prices hover around $3.70 a gallon in the UK, not to mention insurance costs.

It seems as though you really have to be more well off to own one of these cars in the UK than you would to own one here. Or if you aren't well off.. you are hurtin' (but... prolly don't care).

-Toast

Quick Reply: New Evo VIII info!