Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Insurance

I see that most people are only paying around $2500 insurance a year for their evo. I'm 17 and I just got my evo but my dad just got a quote from AAA for $6000 a year, full coverage. That is with me as an occasional driver. How do you guys have such cheap insurance?

-matt
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:25 AM

Suprizingly that's not bad. I paid 500 a month for a small truck in AZ when I was 18. The only way to really get any kind of good discount is to be married and/or over 25. Sucks I know.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:28 AM
Account Disabled

Either that or be with an insurance company for a while. Also try to get as many discounts as possible. Airbag discount, automatci seatbelts, alarm, drivers training, drivers ed, renewal discount.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

One word, age. When you get older, especially over 25, the rates come down every year. In fact at 18 they start to come down a little (w/ a good driving record). Also, if you have tickets or accidents claims against another insurance company (even if it wasn't your fault) your rates will be higher.

When I was 17 I bought a brand new performance vehicle (stupid) and wrecked it a little less than a year later. Damage wasn't too bad and it was fixed perfect. But then they raised my rates to $12,000 a year. Yes, $1,000 a month! Of course I could not drive the car at that point; which is exactly what they intended. They had no grounds to terminate me, so they taxed me out.

Insurance companies are scum. I highly reccomend you call around to EVERY insurance company you can find. You may hit upon a company that is not super biased about age; as long as you have no claims or tickets.

Good luck!
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

You will be paying high insurance rates for a long time because of your age and the fact that most insurance companies look at the Evo as a performance car. In Cali, you have to have eight years with a good driving record to get a decent rate. I am currently 28 with no tickets or accidents (lately) and my insurance is a little over 800 every six months for two cars.

Unfortunately, you are young and a huge liablility to any insurance company because of your age.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:30 AM

thank you all!

What other auto insurance are there besides AAA, farmers and geico?
Most insurance I've looked at do not accept new licensed drivers.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

If you were the insurance company, what would you do for a kid like yourself? Think logically, and it makes sense. Anyone under the age of 25 with a high-risk car will suffer, no matter which the insurance company you enroll with.

Try to tag along with your parent's insurance. Usually, family plans costs a lot less. Also, zip code is a big factor so guys like me in LA pay the highest rates. I've heard NJ is pretty bad too.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Probably not as bad as Detroit. Then again my car did get broken into so my insurance has already paid off.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:52 AM

Do you have a clean record? If its possible, i would get diffrent insurance from your parents, just in case you get in an accident and get sued by someone, they can only go after what you have and not your parents money. It happened to one of my friends and his parents lost everything
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:00 AM

Yes I do have a clean record because I just got my license last month.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

You're only 17, and this is a new $30K turbocharged car. Where you live has a great factor too?

Cheapest way? Insure the EVO in your parents name only with "recreational use only". Get off your parents policy and purchase your own "without a car but still have a driver's license" insurance. Just pay the extra premiums your parents have to pay.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:07 AM

Good luck with insurance.

My best deal was with GEICO, but I have heard good thinks about GE/ING insurance.
The bad news is this:
My wife and I have 2 cars and an SUV. My EVO was the cheapest to purchase but has the HIGHEST PREMIUMS.

I cant complain about my premium though VS what everyone else seems to be paying for these beasts.

Also...consider upping your deductible to $1k vs $250/$500.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

State Farm offers a "good student "(B average) discount that is about 25%. Ck out carrying huge homeowner's insurance (which covers car accident if car accident insurance is inadequate) and minimal car insurance. Homeowner's premium does not go up when there is a young male driver at home. So you can get the same insurance coverage for less money. We do both in my family (And, I won't let my 19 year old son drive my Evo either).
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fullyloaded
I see that most people are only paying around $2500 insurance a year for their evo. I'm 17 and I just got my evo but my dad just got a quote from AAA for $6000 a year, full coverage. That is with me as an occasional driver. How do you guys have such cheap insurance?

-matt
'04 Evo RS. age 23. Male. single. $1400/yr.

Understanding actuarial tables is one of modern day statistics black arts. To me, it doesn't seem as if their models are very valid. I also question whether they have enough samples in their data to generate the the correct expectation of payout per customer. Ok, let me stop here before I start ranting about the problems with privatized auto insurance. I'll just give you some rules of thumb that I used to get good rates.

1) Shop around

You would not believe the difference in rates between various companies. If you have one quote for 6000, it's very possible that another person can get you 3000.

Companies that I haven't seen mentioned are: State farm (mine), allstate, progressive

2) Get an agent

Talk to an actual agent, not just a website or a telephone operator. Agents often know about discounts that aren't mentioned other places

3) Get discounts

Find out about every discount that the company offers, even if you don't meet them yet. You might be able to make changes do something to get this discount.

For example: I get a 10% discount for having renters insurance from the same company. My renters insurance is only like $100 a year. However, it saves me $140 on car insurance (more actually).

4) Build credit

Pay your bills. If your parents help you buy things, get the financing done in _your_ name. Fortunately, I waited until I graduated from college to get my first car. By that time, I had enough credit to get good interest rates and good insurance rates.

5) Drive _carefully_

I can't stress this enough. A couple of tickets or an accident (even if it's not your fault) can completely destroy those good rates that you worked so hard to get.

good luck and enjoy that car!

d

Last edited by donour; Jul 5, 2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

listen to donour

Quick Reply: Insurance