Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ECU Flash Software?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2004, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU Flash Software?

What software is used to flash the evolution's ecu? Does anyone know?

bryan
Old Jun 12, 2004, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

aem ems?

www.aempower.com
Old Jun 12, 2004, 08:13 AM

That would be Techtom

You acutally need the following:
EVO hardware (pc to ECU)
EVO software (controls the hardware)
Map editor software
EVO Adapter (optional for bench flashing)

And it's expensive unless your getting into the reflashing market. Otherwise, it's more cost effective to just get a standalone, gauges, wideband meter, and a new laptop for tuning. And if you do the reflash software, you'll still need the above items for tuning (minus the standalone). Although, if you are getting into the flashing market then the cost is minimal.

Also sent PM
Old Jun 12, 2004, 08:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, the hardware alone was almost $2000, the software (depending on which version you chose) could cost as much as another $1500-3000..

I think the pricing is pretty rediculous, but I realize that the investment could be made back pretty quickly if you were doing flashes.. HOWEVER, there is a learning curve to tuning and the hardest part will be coming up with good, safe, and competative flashes..

Like the earlier poster said.. if your just intending to tune your own car, there's other tuning options out there that are much cheaper.. AEM EMS (Standalone), TurboXS UTEC (Hybrid piggyback), EManage (Piggyback).. etc..

The flashing tool and software alone are just the start of the tools, you'd need the ability to log ECU data quickly enough to get useful information, you'd need a tool to log air fuel mixture (Wideband O2 sensor and logger/display), you'd need a tool to log/display Knock.. and also you'd need to understand how all of these things relate to eachother...
Old Jun 12, 2004, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Yeah, the hardware alone was almost $2000, the software (depending on which version you chose) could cost as much as another $1500-3000..

I think the pricing is pretty rediculous, but I realize that the investment could be made back pretty quickly if you were doing flashes.. HOWEVER, there is a learning curve to tuning and the hardest part will be coming up with good, safe, and competative flashes..

Like the earlier poster said.. if your just intending to tune your own car, there's other tuning options out there that are much cheaper.. AEM EMS (Standalone), TurboXS UTEC (Hybrid piggyback), EManage (Piggyback).. etc..

The flashing tool and software alone are just the start of the tools, you'd need the ability to log ECU data quickly enough to get useful information, you'd need a tool to log air fuel mixture (Wideband O2 sensor and logger/display), you'd need a tool to log/display Knock.. and also you'd need to understand how all of these things relate to eachother...
I'm not suggesting that your prices are wrong, but how can they make money at these prices? The development costs would appear to exceed the profits related to the number of systems sold (e.g. there are not that many tuners w/ flashing systems in the US market). Do they get a per use fee on top of the purchase price?
Old Jun 12, 2004, 07:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by freedom
I'm not suggesting that your prices are wrong, but how can they make money at these prices? The development costs would appear to exceed the profits related to the number of systems sold (e.g. there are not that many tuners w/ flashing systems in the US market). Do they get a per use fee on top of the purchase price?

If you saw what you get for 5k .. you'll understand how they make their money. Its just a dos based app.. The reason for this is, if the system crashes during upload your ecu is junk .. Dos wont crash like windows ..would. The system is complex and takes a bit of learning. Me personally would rather tune an aem ems any day over a flash... But the two cannot even be compared. My 2 cents

Mark
TurbotrixRacing
Old Jun 12, 2004, 07:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nope.. Think about it this way, if you pay $5000 for the setup, you'd need to flash 10 car at $500 a piece (for sake of conversation) after that its profit and the tool has paid for itself.. In reality it doesnt quite work that way since there are other expenses related to flashing such as dyno time, etc.. but still if you do 50 cars at $400 a piece, and $200 each of it goes to expenses, your still making $10000, $5000 goes to pay off the flash hardware and the rest is profit.. So you won't become rich just doing flashes, but you will easily pay for the cost of the hardware and you can make money doing other things such as installs and additional product sales in addition..

There are "Some" tuning products for some cars that have a "counter" on them, you literally borrow the hardware and produce a set number of tunes.. But that doesn't apply to the TechTom product.

BTW, there are 3 companies that produce devices and software to flash a Mitsubishi PCM (ecu) but I'm only familiar with one of them.