Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

trade evo for 03 cobra

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2004, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always been a "Ford Guy" and looked at a Cobra but opted for the EVO. You can put $$ into the Cobra and get it to handle OK but, when I made my first 30 mph right turn on my test drive I said "it's mine" and haven't looked back. The only problem I have had with it is getting a dozen eggs home.
BMan

Old Jun 12, 2004, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theres something wrong there if he wants to trade a 500+ hp beast for your 270 hp evo. obviously he know the evo is a better car and wants it. keep the evo you can get 500 hp fairly easily out of the 4G63.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 03:34 PM

Different Strokes for Different Folks

Originally Posted by plokivos
You'll spin all day long with that 580 hp. If you want some loud, gas gazzling, ugly car that has an awful shifter and awful ergonomics, I say do it.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

While this comment is seriously funny and one-sided it has some truths:

1) Gas Consumption -- at 580HP is he still running stock gas? Is this car going to be your only car? If not, is it the daily driver? All I know is that I have a stock EVO and it costs me over $25.00 a tank and you can't get very far on an EVO tank. I'd hate to see this cars gas cost.

2) Ergonomics -- I don't think we say this enough, but the EVO is just about as comfortable as they come. Maybe that is just for me... but those Recaro's fit my body frame so well. That and the shifter is reachable while sitting back strapped into your EVO. The Cobra shifter is so misplaced that you can't sit back in the seat very easily and shift (at least if you have long legs... cause you either cramp your legs to reach the shifter, or sit leaning forward and put the seat back... just poorly designed).

3) Reasons To Get A Cobra -- Let's be honest... EVO drivers and Cobra drivers are two different people. EVO drivers want the all-around performance car that can win/hang in any racing situation. Cobra drivers want a car that sounds mean as hell, and can drag race. I think the only reason to consider this trade is if you just mis-purchased. If you got an EVO, but really like the Cobra life, then do it. But if you truly like the EVO life, then I can't see how this can be enticing.

So, in summation I would vote:

Peace
Old Jun 12, 2004, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I dunno about all out drag racing, but I can guarantee that you will win in most races on the street. Now street racing is "highly discourage on this forum", but that I is where the EVO shines, in regarding to straight line racing. Without the slicks and gigantic tires, RWD or FWD cars are not as formidable as their hp figures indicate. I myself witness several races between EVO vs. high hp cars--Hatchback civic turbo (500whp), Modded SC cobra (500+whp), and etc, and you know what? The EVO hangs!!! And even beated these horsepower monsters. These EVOs are still running stock turbo and pretty much, stock everything. My view: the EVO is a very well built, and an awesome overall car. It can confront with many racing scenerios that the odds are stacking against it, and still it prevails.

By the way, if the cobra looks better than the evo, if so, not by much. Stock vs stock that is. The cobra looks great with the Cobra R kits or something down that line that is not too exstreme. I noticed that many Cobra owners do have body kits on their rides. Same goes for many EVO owners. If you are going for looks, dont even consider these two. The 350Z with 19s rims can look like a pimp ride. Simple add-on kits can make it looks even better. Check out the Greddy 350Z and you'll know what I'm talking about. Sorry for the long post guys...
Old Jun 12, 2004, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

i cant stand the interior of the cobra, the shifter makes me sick and i dont like the gauges, but the engine is nice and so it a lot of the exterior. it would be a tough decision for me
Old Jun 12, 2004, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

I like the new stangs but it seems that everyone has one. It's one of Americas flagships.
Technology vs. Muscle.
it's called Evolution.

If you know you want it, get it.
If your ever in doubt, don't.

ahh, what do I know, go ahead and get it.
You'll be back, lol.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 04:10 PM

I had a choice between an 03 cobra and the evo. I test drove both cars and the evo just won me over. I had an 01 cobra that I traded in for the evo. I love the torque of the cobras but they can't handle like the evo. They are both totally different monster. If you want a fast dragster take the cobra. But if you want a car that can out handle almost anything out there take the evo.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

It is srill a rustang. also a new bodystyle out next year.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

I traded in my 03 Cobra for the Evo....

The cars are very different and I love both of them for different reasons. The Cobra was a beast with a pulley, chip, and exhaust, but the handling is now where near the Evo. Stock for stock the acceleration isn't close! The Cobra will walk the Evo from any speed including a dead stop. With that said, it is easier to make the Evo accelerate like the Cobra, than make the Cobra handle like an Evo. The Cobra is heavy and feels extremely floaty in comparison.

The worst thing about the Cobra is getting traction. The wheel hop is still there (regardless of what the magazines say). I had to have the rear-end replaced twice because it was leaking from wheel hop... You will dust the tires stock, and it gets worse as you add power with mods. If you get on the car at low speeds, you will be all over the place. I trapped 119 in the Cobra and it was a highway monster. I just added cams/exhaust/intake to my Evo and it should trap 112-113... Not as fast as the Cobra, but it would probably run a similar 1/4 mile time as my fully BPU'd Cobra because of the all wheel drive. The Evo modded can still be floored in the rain with confidence. With the Cobra I had to drive like granney on rainy days.... The Cobra is so outdated... The shifter is terrible (far forward) and the seats are terrible in comparison to the Evo's Ricaros.. In addition, the Cobra was an effort to drive , get in an out of etc... The Evo is a rush! So easy to get through traffic, awesome seats and the steering is top notch....

I love the Evo!!!!! On a road coarse both cars with normal bolt-ons, the Evo would crush the Cobra.... The Evo is a different league and is an all around sports car.. The Cobra is one dimensional... but it does that one dimension really well... Feel free to ask anything.... I love both cars....
Old Jun 12, 2004, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some opinions about EVO vs LT1 Z28 vs Corvette C5 vs Subaru STI 2.5 vs 350Z? ? ?

In my opinion my Evo is faster at straight line and corners compared with my Z28.
I test drove one C5 (in a good shape or not I don't know) and the EVO is a lot faster than C5. Even my Lt1 was faster than C5.
I wonder to know how is the Evo compared with STI 2.5 and 350Z...

Someone can tell me how those cars run?

Considering Cobra vs EVO... I would stick with EVO but doing a lot of mods to get at least 300WHP.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Drive the cobra what a piece of sh*t
Old Jun 12, 2004, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
FORD Found On Road Dead .........Don't do it..............
Old Jun 12, 2004, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

keep the evo.F the ****tang
Old Jun 12, 2004, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Keep your EVOLUTION VIII ! ! ! lol.... Remember, EVOS are rare unlike Cobra.....you'll see them almost everywhere...
Old Jun 12, 2004, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by k270kmh
Some opinions about EVO vs LT1 Z28 vs Corvette C5 vs Subaru STI 2.5 vs 350Z? ? ?

In my opinion my Evo is faster at straight line and corners compared with my Z28.
I test drove one C5 (in a good shape or not I don't know) and the EVO is a lot faster than C5. Even my Lt1 was faster than C5.
I wonder to know how is the Evo compared with STI 2.5 and 350Z...

Someone can tell me how those cars run?

Considering Cobra vs EVO... I would stick with EVO but doing a lot of mods to get at least 300WHP.
There is a weird sound in 350Z's engine when running, which is the bad thing in 350z. Plus, the performance isn't that great even if it has 287hp. You don't really feel the hp of the car when accelerating... Evo is faster in cornering.

Quick Reply: trade evo for 03 cobra