Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

trade evo for 03 cobra

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2004, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I will Keep my sweet evo thanx to you all guys.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by g6civcx
Traction isn't an issue if you can launch properly. If you just floor it and pop the clutch, like how some people launch the Evo , you're bound to sit there spinning.
I disagree... Traction is an issue even on Drag Radials.. 500RWTQ at 2500 rpms.... That will dust tires.. Even when I would ease into the throttle, I would sometimes spin. I went through three sets of tires withing 13,000 miles

However, if you got some wider rims it may not be as bad. Just curious.. did you own an 03Cobra? If you have, you will now excactly what I'm talking about....
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by xstang
I disagree... Traction is an issue even on Drag Radials.. 500RWTQ at 2500 rpms.... That will dust tires.. Even when I would ease into the throttle, I would sometimes spin. I went through three sets of tires withing 13,000 miles

However, if you got some wider rims it may not be as bad. Just curious.. did you own an 03Cobra? If you have, you will now excactly what I'm talking about....
If you are using Nitto 555R DR they are just a little better than brand new rubber, but if you are using MT ET Streets, Traction will not be an issue. Wow 3 sets of tires in 13,000 miles, what did you do sit there and burn out all day. I am on my first set with 13K and I will probably get 2k more out of them. Then I will be going to a 17 x 10.5 and a 315 on the rear.

I spin first, second, thrid on the radials, 60fts are 2.3 and I still run 12.60's @ 115 MPH @ LACR (altitude 2700ft above sea level), that's good enough for street radials.

Last edited by fastgascar; Jun 14, 2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

I know exactly what you're talking about.

But it's not like you drop the clutch at idle and you sit there spinning. You have to try to launch before you'll smoke up. The way people have put it, it makes it look like the Cobra just sits there spinning tyres without trying.

Putting down 400 something bhp isn't easy, no matter what setup you have, but it's not as bad as people put it.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

if you really want a mustang just wait for the new 05 that would be the only stang I would take other than a gt 350 or gt 500 or maybe a 429
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fastgascar
If you are using Nitto 555R DR they are just a little better than brand new rubber, but if you are using MT ET Streets, Traction will not be an issue. Wow 3 sets of tires in 13,000 miles, what did you do sit there and burn out all day. I am on my first set with 13K and I will probably get 2k more out of them. Then I will be going to a 17 x 10.5 and a 315 on the rear.

I spin first, second, thrid on the radials, 60fts are 2.3 and I still run 12.60's @ 115 MPH @ LACR (altitude 2700ft above sea level), that's good enough for street radials.

I agree with you. Hooking with MT ET Streets is much easier than street tires. (Although it isn't healthy for the half shafts). I also don't like the loose feel on them (like driving on marbels). As far as my 3 sets of tires go, I was at the track about every weekend. On a good track I ran a 1.89 60' and hit a 7.80 1/8 mile at 94mph. I was replying to the guy who makes it seem like launching the Cobra is easy. Slipping the clutch doesn't always work because once the clutch fully engages, the car sometimes still spins resulting from the torque. The Evo is much easier to launch, as there is much more room for error. The Cobra is the most difficult car to launch that I've ever driven.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by xstang
I agree with you. Hooking with MT ET Streets is much easier than street tires. (Although it isn't healthy for the half shafts). I also don't like the loose feel on them (like driving on marbels). As far as my 3 sets of tires go, I was at the track about every weekend. On a good track I ran a 1.89 60' and hit a 7.80 1/8 mile at 94mph. I was replying to the guy who makes it seem like launching the Cobra is easy. Slipping the clutch doesn't always work because once the clutch fully engages, the car sometimes still spins resulting from the torque. The Evo is much easier to launch, as there is much more room for error. The Cobra is the most difficult car to launch that I've ever driven.
LOL, no worries bro, I know you were responding to the other guy, now launching the Cobra is a work of art, once you get that down, you can launch anything.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by g6civcx
I know exactly what you're talking about.

But it's not like you drop the clutch at idle and you sit there spinning. You have to try to launch before you'll smoke up. The way people have put it, it makes it look like the Cobra just sits there spinning tyres without trying.

Putting down 400 something bhp isn't easy, no matter what setup you have, but it's not as bad as people put it.
It is as bad as people say. Every once in a while, the conditions will be perfect and you can hit a sub 2.0 60'. Most guys/average drivers will hit 2.1 -2.2 + 60's on drag radials. Keep in mind the 255s or 275s (some guys run) isn't enough rubber for 475/475rwtq, That is why the Z06 comes with much wider tires!
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ImportPePe
Why the hell would you wanna trade a world-class performance car for a white trash ferrari?

bwhahahhaha.

Why dont u guys just trade cars for a month?
Old Jun 14, 2004, 01:09 PM

I work for a Mitsubishi dealership and know my evo's very well. My sevice manager has had 2 '03 Cobras and lemon lawed them both for various reasons. I've driven both to the limit & beyond. The Cobra's torque and hijinx for power oversteer are pure excitement, though nothing can descibe the feeling of diving way to hot into a corner, having the tail step out on you, pointing the steering wheel in the direction you wish to travel, and having the all wheel drive prowess of the EVO rocket you out of the apex.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

despite the hp difference...I would stay import all the way. No offense to the US but damn, ...Japanese, German, etc. cars seem so much more desirable to me.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

I've had two mustangs.. and i had lots of fun in both of them.

.. you will not be able to drive in the snow....at all...
.. 4 doors = practicality.. even for a FAMILY...
..fuel economy..

and, i wouldn't touch something that's been that F'ed with.. I can't believe anyone would consider it. You are taking this guys problem off of his hands if you go through with it.
If it were stock, I'd say it is a closer trade.

keep us posted..