Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

trade evo for 03 cobra

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question trade evo for 03 cobra

what do you guys think ? my freind want to trade his 03 cobra with my evo head to head . he got 580 whp and I know his car well.

should I do it ?????
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

need some pics!!!

right off the back, I'd say no
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:24 AM

I'd do it.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

its not easy to get 580 hp in evos !!!
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Nothing in the world sounds as good as a Cobra.

When i bought my Evo, it came down to Evo vs. '03 Cobra, and part of me still wishes i had taken the Cobra. I just love the way they sound, and they are fast as hell.

On the downside, you're looking at a 2-door, RWD car that doesn't handle worth a crap. If you're planning on just dragging, i'd go with the Cobra.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
No.. Don't do it, you'd end up disappointed.. 580whp isn't the only indicator of a fast car.. in fact, it may not indicate anything but WHP.. It just doesn't drive the same as the Evo.. it does feel brutally fast, but if you like the way the Evo handles, the WHP may not make up for it.. that is assuming you like handling and not straight line performance..

OF course, he's willing to trade YOU for your Evo.. so I suspect he feels that handling is more fun than lots of WHP..
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:29 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If money depreciation and worth of the car was not a factor i'd take the evo. I'm done with steering boat no matter how fast they go in a straight line. If you take the cobra on an auto X course your arms will probably fall off
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

If you could have both then that would be perfect. Only one, stay with the evo. I really like the cobra but it is an entirely different kind of fun and would get boring after a while I think.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

example: I used to have a 99 Trans AM. It was a wonderful car and at first I considered it a fun car to drive.

Then I got used to the hp which is the only thing that makes these cars enjoyable. To make a long story short I kept making the car faster and lots of stuff broke. This was the only way to keep the car fun for me because it was lacking in the cornering department. With the evo the car remains enjoyable with minimal amounts of power and saves me a bit of money.

RWD cars like this are great, but I will never have one as a daily driver again.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:54 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll spin all day long with that 580 hp. If you want some loud, gas gazzling, ugly car that has an awful shifter and awful ergonomics, I say do it.

But I think it's your life and your choices that you live with. So, I wouldn't do it. If I was 22, yeah, I would, but I think I'm sorta over the whole loud exhaust thing. I tend to think a lot more in my car then I did before.

I think you could get a cobra cheaper then that tho.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

thanx guys I will keep thinking
Old Jun 12, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
What are you gonna do with 580whp? Go straight and beat everyone in your town. How long can you keep that up and get away with it? The evo is an all in one package that can match that power as well, given time. But not only that, it's got so many more dimensions to it.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 02:39 PM

Wow now that is a tough choice, The EVO is AWD, has better brakes, better lights, will no doubt out handle the Cobra, gets better gas mileage, has room for 5 and has 4 doors.

The Cobra comes stock with 390/390 which is downrated it really is more like 425HP, your friends has 580 RWHP ????? That would mean he has a KB,Procharger, or Whipple S/C Upgrade which is a very nice upgrade and will allow you to make even more hp than the 580 . It has a 6-speed, bilstein shocks, it rides alot more comfortable than the EVO, 2 doors which is a pain if you have to take more than one passenger, the rear seats do not have alot of legroom however the rear seats do fold down in the event you need to put something in the rear that is longer than 4 ft. Most would agree that the Mustang is a better looking car(of course not on this board) . There changing the body style so the 03/04 Cobra will be be the last year of this body style(future resale, collectors item).

The Cobra will go in a straight line faster and will pull to top end faster. The tq is unmatched by the EVO.

The EVO will go in a straight line very good too, and it will out handle and brake the Cobra.

Looking @ your geographic location an AWD will suit you better, the Cobra can be a handful in the wet, so I can't even imagine what it would be like in the Snow.

Give it somemore thought and do more research, try www.svtperformance.com for more info.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 02:49 PM

Simple:
Keep your Evo
Whenever you want to have fun (aka have the **** scared out of you) let him take you for a ride.

I went for a ride in a Friends 385whp Transam, it was scary around an autocross track. (Body roll, flopping around in the seats) But, my Evo is too refined to trade it for a torque-monster.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

think of it this way.. your buddy with 580 whp wants your car!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: trade evo for 03 cobra