Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Which gauge pod do you prefer?
On dashboard
13.28%
On steering column
15.63%
On pillar
46.09%
Inside DIN
19.53%
Instrument cluster
5.47%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

What are your opinions about gauge pods?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2004, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the Pillar cover from the lancershop and it was the correct color, when it came I didn't realize that it was only a cover but I was able to trim up the stock one so everything fit really nice. I had to cut the tweeter cover out of the stock one and this is very easy to do becuase it has 4 tabs that are melted so you just take a knife and very carfully cut the tabs away then I was able to use a plastic safe jet dry glue to use very small drips on the tabs to hold it on the new one. I used a drimmel tool to make the cut out on the new pilliar so it was very easy, just had to take my time. Needless tosay this gauge install took longer to do than any of my other mods but it was well worth it. At first it does seem kind of big but it doesn't cause vision problems or anything like that and you get use to it within a few days then you can't go without it.

http://www.lancershop.com/gauge_pods.htm

LancerShop Triple Full A-Pillar Gauge Pod Grey - Lancer Evolution (Tripple 52mm) 59.95 and currently out of stock.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jadiem
you will have some problems with the tweeter cover

and those problems are?
Old Jun 21, 2004, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

I like the pillar the best, but............dont want to attract that much attention. I think that the steering column is the next best choice, like to keep my eyes as close to the road as possible.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

I LOVE my Craighardy's gauge pod......it replaces the CD deck.....if you wanna look at a pic of it....search for Craighardy gauge pod......
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Defi boost gauge...on the pillar...TampaTurbo has 3 DefiLink gauges set up on the pillar...looks tyte...
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTVEVO
I got the Pillar cover from the lancershop and it was the correct color, when it came I didn't realize that it was only a cover but I was able to trim up the stock one so everything fit really nice. I had to cut the tweeter cover out of the stock one and this is very easy to do becuase it has 4 tabs that are melted so you just take a knife and very carfully cut the tabs away then I was able to use a plastic safe jet dry glue to use very small drips on the tabs to hold it on the new one. I used a drimmel tool to make the cut out on the new pilliar so it was very easy, just had to take my time. Needless tosay this gauge install took longer to do than any of my other mods but it was well worth it. At first it does seem kind of big but it doesn't cause vision problems or anything like that and you get use to it within a few days then you can't go without it.
Ahhh, I used a moderate amount of model glue on mine and it's holding very well. I reinstalled it within a few hours, no need to wait days for it to dry, and there were never any glue fumes in the car.

Other than to deter thieves, I don't see why anyone would get something other than A-pillar. It's the best place to mount gauges and still keep your eyes on the road.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by naucrx
Other than to deter thieves, I don't see why anyone would get something other than A-pillar. It's the best place to mount gauges and still keep your eyes on the road.
I have to say the pillar guages look the best to me, and that's what I would like to do, but ....

Unfortunately, around my parts if the "man" sees a car with pillar guages, it's almost guarranteed he's gonna get
pulled over.
Anything visible like that and they figure you're up to no good; you must be one of those punk a$$ street racers.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Nova Evo,
The pillar filled with 3 60mm gauge pods looks very nice. I am not too concerned with visibility to others. It looks nice and clean.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Pics please

Originally Posted by TampaTurbo
Thanks Nova Evo,
The pillar filled with 3 60mm gauge pods looks very nice. I am not too concerned with visibility to others. It looks nice and clean.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by KZEVO
Pics please
yes, pics please. i have a trio of 52mm autometer (CF) gauges and pillar pod that i havent installed and which i don't know what to do after installing a Defi 60mm BF Boost gauge in the steering column. The defi bf looks so good. I'm just wondering if three 60mm's are too big for the pillar.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Here is my autometer dual colum pods. The empty one will get my AEM UEGO gage once it gets here.

Old Aug 2, 2004, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NvsEvo
I LOVE my Craighardy's gauge pod......it replaces the CD deck.....if you wanna look at a pic of it....search for Craighardy gauge pod......
I whole heartedly agree
Just finished installing mine this weekend

http://uploads.offtopic.com/files/Evogauges1.jpg
http://uploads.offtopic.com/files/Evogauges2.jpg
http://uploads.offtopic.com/files/Evogauges3.jpg

Last edited by Bobby12many; Aug 2, 2004 at 06:51 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

I am a pillar person myself, just much more comfotable and visible for me. I also have 2 guages mounted in the tray underneath the deck. Put them where it is easiest and most comfortable for you to see. I dont like glancing over so the most important guages were put on the pillar where I dont need to move my head or eyes to much from the road.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 09:37 PM

I use the Autometer 3 gauge pod with Defi gauges. I did have to get it painted a matching grey.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

A pillar pods are too fast and furious for me. Leave em to the riced out civics. Get the Craig Hardy.

Quick Reply: What are your opinions about gauge pods?