Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

is the EVO the new DSM, as far as build quality?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2004, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 29k on mines. Its completely stock cept for the TT and K&N Filter. Brakes are starting to go (daily driver and drive really hard on the weekend) and my tires are starting to go (bad alignment/balance, if it wasn't for that I think it would've lasted a couple more thousand miles). Killed one clutch (totally my fault and no I didn't try to get it fixed under warranty) and thats about the only thing that happen so far. And also my evo holds boost at 19psi all the way to redline!(stock!) lol

Last edited by Ev0 1; Jun 23, 2004 at 05:13 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Blew the ***IN engine due to a failed pump and a bent piston @ 3750 miles. I HATE the mitsu service dept.. they got my car for 3 weeks now.. and HAVNT TOUCHED it.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Oh btw I also drove it from Atlanta to Philly and the ride wasn't all that bad, actually i liked it alot. I love driving my evo everyday.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by TurboMaestro
Yeah, that was kind of my thought as well...the Eclipses and Talons were built in a factory by totally unskilled nonunion workers.....
Actually the DSM plant was a Chrysler plant. Union workers. Most of the Japanese plants in the US are non-union.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by EvolvedDragon
Just get the Damn EVO Trust me Most guys who have an Evo I'd say 90% of them love it...and had no problems. Dude for the last time it's not a crappy-put-together-AmeroJapanese-Crap-Bucket-DSM!!!! Get the Evo...Before I bought mine I was considering an STi but after talking to Sti guys and all the problems that they are having with that 2.5L, I bought the Evo and I'm completely satisfied. As Long as you maintain it, it will do you no harm. Guys in Japan and Europe have had no major mechanical problems with the Evo 7 essentially the same car. So don't sweat it.
I agree. The way I see it, people aren't going to regularly post "MY evo is reliable, no probs" on a forum. The forum is most likely gonna get all the problem posts cuz ppl are looking for help/sympathy. I'd say most people who own an Evo are satisfied with their purchase.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

3,070 miles and two rods failed. Mitsu didn't cover under warranty ... details in the warranty thread stickied above.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 07:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MSM_S2K
3,070 miles and two rods failed. Mitsu didn't cover under warranty ... details in the warranty thread stickied above.
WTF? how could you have made two rods fail before four thousand miles? 24 hours of LeMans competition?
Old Jun 23, 2004, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

My evo is not stock and I have 26,000 miles on it. Only problem was the clutch. The true test will be when I drive it 2,000 miles to Las Vegas for my move.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

The whine you hear is gear whine. The evo has performance oriented gears in the differential which are most likely straighter cut tines on the gearing. Which lend to loud noises...but help make performance better. It is not brain surgery people.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:46 PM
Account Disabled

Dsm

Originally Posted by shinoo
Actually the DSM plant was a Chrysler plant. Union workers. Most of the Japanese plants in the US are non-union.
No, the DSM was a DSM plant owned by chrysler and Mitsu.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Location: [6][5][0]san mateo, California..."rEpN dA YaY aReA!!"
na i doubt it. dsm is gone. there is no chrysler motor in ne mitsubishi cars,,unlike the 2nd gen gs where the head gasket always go out.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 06:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
25k with no problems... clutch still holding and all. I drive it like I stole it...
Old Jun 26, 2004, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Most of the Evo problems are from driver error, just like past 3KGT VR4 owners blowing up their AWD within 3 yrs.

DSMs are more closely related to the Evo 3 than any of the Evo 4 and up. Technology in the latter Evo is leaps and bound greater than any DSMs. It's like comparing the quality of any pony cars to a vette or a nsx to a ferrai.

The JDM 'stang comment . . . LMAO!!!! Can't believe that someone made that comparison.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My DSM has over 70,000 miles, I have the orginal 7-bolt engine. I have the following mods:

EVO3 B16G turbo and ported manifold, A'pexi N-1, 3" Extreme O2 Eliminator DP, 3" Cat, Greddy IC Pipes & Type S BOV, Injen Intake, Magnecore wires, NGK plugs, B&M short shifter, Symborski kit, Cusco catchcan, ACT 2100, XACT flywheel, XBC set at 19psi, Extreme Hi-pressure FP, S-AFC2, Denso 660's, AM Phantom 5", A/F, Boost, Volt, EGT, & 2-stage Intake Temp, GReddy TT, Eibach Prokit, Koni Yellows, Stillen strut and sway bars, F&R camber correction, urethane motor mount inserts. 18x7.5" Rays/G-games 77wolf w/ 225/40ZR18 Falken Azenis ST115.

Right now I'm only putting down about 260whp and 276 lb/ft of torque considering the ineffeciency of my stock side mount intercooler. My final goal is 300-315 whp. The only non maintenance or wear items I've had to replace were a starter and my clutch master cylinder.

I use only synthetic oil, I change it every 3000 miles, I only use premium gas. I drive it hard, but I don't abuse it.

I am confident in Mitsubishi and that my future Evo will be just as good, or better as my DSM has been.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from a 1g DSM to a 2g DSM and now to my EVO. The 1g DSM build quality was much better than the 2g. The 2g has a real cheap feel to the interior. IMO, the EVO build quality is a step above the 1g. Mechanically, the EVO just blows the doors off any DSM. All the aluminum and the refined suspension and steering puts the EVO leaps ahead. The stiff chassis makes the EVO feel a lot more solid too.