Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Engine & #4 Piston

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2004, 12:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it's not cold air intake? Is it?

I can't see how you could get water in the AEM intake, if it's shorty.

Did you flood the car or something? tried to wash the engine bay with pressure washer?lol.

I still think they should repair it. It should be covered under warranty, since you can't possibly expect the intake for doing this.

And you should take the car out of that crappy dealership and into a new one. And make them pay for it. It's BS for them to make you wait on your car.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will the aem still throw off the ecu with a flash....???....or is that problem resolved....??
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Two questions. How did you get water in your intake? Unless you have the APS intake which relocates the filter close to the ground, or drove in a lake, I don't see how it could happen. I have the RMR and it is clearly above any puddle I woiuld encounter. And how could a rod bend from trying to compress water? I know water is incompressible, but it would have to take an astronomical amount of force to bend a rod, unless the rod was made of aluminum. I would think the head would pop off first.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SSKILLA
will the aem still throw off the ecu with a flash....???....or is that problem resolved....??
it is recomended to use the OEM intake

Last edited by evo542; Jun 24, 2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by earthman
My engine blew @ 3500 Miles.
Well, I had ran thru a puddle a month back, and the car took in some water and stalled. I tried starting it, but gave up after 2 attempts. I got it towed to the mitsu dealer and left it there. Spoke to them the next day, and they said the car was fine, and all i needed was a new MAF and flushing of all fluids.

FINE ! I got tht done @ the dealer @ a whopping $560.

Was told that the car was fine, EVEN tho i mentioned a funny idle. The tech ran an engine diagonistic, and told me the car was fine, no misfires. just the MAF settling in.

3 weeks later, i got the AEM intake and the MR BOV, and had a fellow mechanic install it. Three days later i'm driving down a road @ 45mph @ 3500rpm bout to shift to 3rd, and ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.. explosion and white smoke all over.. ENGINE BLOWS !
Puddle? took in water? the stock intake is at the front hood level, thats a big puddle. kind of like hopping the pond to Europe..

But anyways, It sounds like the water ingestion bent the rod, and after a few weeks, it wore down the bearing, heated up and broke on through to the other side. I have never seen a locked up a motor to the point it won't start from water ingestion not break internals. It could happen, but I would suspect that the rod bent then and spent the next few weeks digging it's way out.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inariv5573
Two questions. How did you get water in your intake? Unless you have the APS intake which relocates the filter close to the ground, or drove in a lake, I don't see how it could happen. I have the RMR and it is clearly above any puddle I woiuld encounter. And how could a rod bend from trying to compress water? I know water is incompressible, but it would have to take an astronomical amount of force to bend a rod, unless the rod was made of aluminum. I would think the head would pop off first.
When water goes in, the pressure is quite well distributed around the combustion chamber, head, cylinder walls, piston.. The force pushing the rod usually bends em easily at relatively low rpm. at higher speeds, heads, blocks and pistons go flying.

remember the piston isn't at the top, it's hold down by the water so the pressure has more surface area to distribute against, but that poor rod basically hits a wall.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Water doesnt compress very well! Something has to give, i.e. your rod.

Consider yourself screwed by your own doing.

Next time, dont drive through a "puddle", drive around it! Evidently a puddle to you is a small lake to other people.

I didnt know that the evo offered an amphibious option?
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

if you take in water will the car automatically stall or is there a possibility that it can continue to run with the internal damage untill till it decides to go BOOM!
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, how the heck do you get water into the stock intake without having water come all the way over your hood? Even if you get water into the snorkel, how much is going to get past the stock air filter? Something sounds fishy... =)
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

any answer to my question??
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Ok.. here's my puddle story..
Going back home from work, raining cats dogs and even cows. Right lane of the road is flooded.. all cars on left lane. SUV comes behind me, goes left and gets in front (crossing double lines, then realizes he has to enter a building on the right.. Swirves right, splashing water all over me and the car ahead.. car ahead brakes as he cant see.. i brake later.. but i kno if i keep braking i'll hit car in front, so i swive thru the puddle (25-30mph) splashing water all around, come out in front of the car and STALL...
I had the Stock intake with the damn scoop, so all the water that hit the front of the car got SUCKED in...
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

When i opened the hood, the filter was drenched.. and the airbox had water in it..
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

I shud be getting the car back next week.. SHOULD i put the OEM intake back.. ?? MINUS the Scoop ? or get the car flashed.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

any one alive out there?
Old Jun 24, 2004, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put the stocker back in when you get the car back, along with the snorkle. Thats a one in a million chance sucking in water like that with the factory air box, but obviously the odds were not in your favor that day. Ditch the AEM, it causes MAF misreadings and higher intake temps. A worthless mod to say the least, as are most open element intakes for the EVO.
<Flame suite on>
IMO, there is no doubt the water ingestion caused your damage. Therefore it should be an insurance claim rather than a warantee fix, but if the dealer is gonna fix it more power to you. It'll keep your rates down.

Quick Reply: Engine & #4 Piston