Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Engine & #4 Piston

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine & #4 Piston

My engine blew @ 3500 Miles.
I had a AEM Intake and the Evo MR Recirculator valve, (Mitsu OEM). The dealer ( Maywood Mitsu ) took a look at the car and said that warrenty wont cover it, but luckily the DSM rep was in the shop and i had him look at it. He took a few pics and called me the next day telling me that the damage would be covered under warrenty.
Two days down the Dealership calls me up and says that the damage was caused due to a bent rod, which sent the #4 Piston thru the block. OK FINE .. HOW did the ROD bend ??
Well, I had ran thru a puddle a month back, and the car took in some water and stalled. I tried starting it, but gave up after 2 attempts. I got it towed to the mitsu dealer and left it there. Spoke to them the next day, and they said the car was fine, and all i needed was a new MAF and flushing of all fluids.
FINE ! I got tht done @ the dealer @ a whopping $560.
Was told that the car was fine, EVEN tho i mentioned a funny idle. The tech ran an engine diagonistic, and told me the car was fine, no misfires. just the MAF settling in.
3 weeks later, i got the AEM intake and the MR BOV, and had a fellow mechanic install it. Three days later i'm driving down a road @ 45mph @ 3500rpm bout to shift to 3rd, and ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.. explosion and white smoke all over.. ENGINE BLOWS !

Now my question is when i had COMPLAINED about a funny idle to the dealer on more occasions than one, and the dealer had OKed the car FIT to drive, I wasnt EVEN INFORMED of the possibilty of a bent rod. Now whos responsibilty is that. When i posed this question they said that a bent rod is a normal damage that occurs during flooding... and also causes a funny idle. NOW when I asked them WHY they didnt check for it even tho i had complained to them again and again, they said there was no way they could have KNOWN ???
Now WHAT THE **** DO U SAY to that...

I got insurace to pay for the damages, and my car is sitting at the dealership for the past ***ing 3 weeks, and the dealer is givin me BS by saying that his Techs dont have the TIME to fix my car. man I AM SO SICK OF THIS ****.. i really dont know wht to do.

Advice is welcome !
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Call a lawyer.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

You're getting screwed like many people. Good luck and all that the dealer told you was BULLs***. They got so much crap going out from the mouth none from the (_____!_____).
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know exactly what you are asking, but bent rods ARE a common ocurrence from flooding. Water gets in, piston compresses it (water not compressable), bam, bent rod. A compression test would be a good indicator of a bent rod, but won't be perfect. Dealer should have checked, but the outcome would have been about the same anyway.

Sorry bout yer luck getting it fixed.

Last edited by OnlineAlias; Jun 24, 2004 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

let's see some pictures of your pistons. the ones that weren't ejected from the block.

by far the most common way a rod gets bent is detonation. water ingestion usually farks up valves first but can bend a rod.

I am new to Evos but not to cars. Is the MR BOV atmospheric? And is the AEM intake a cone filter on a stick?

If yes to one or both, you've got fuel metering problems. Your mass air sensor does not like those things (especially atmospheric BOV). Sounds like your standard recipe for running lean and detonation...
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

BOV is from the Evo MR, same setup as stock, Recirculation. I have pics.. will post soon.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ColinL
let's see some pictures of your pistons. the ones that weren't ejected from the block.

by far the most common way a rod gets bent is detonation. water ingestion usually farks up valves first but can bend a rod.

I am new to Evos but not to cars. Is the MR BOV atmospheric? And is the AEM intake a cone filter on a stick?

If yes to one or both, you've got fuel metering problems. Your mass air sensor does not like those things (especially atmospheric BOV). Sounds like your standard recipe for running lean and detonation...
These mods won't cause detonation. MR blow off valve is exactly the same as a factory one, except metal. And the intake is, well, just an intake. It was the water.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Speaking from experience (after blowing a 4G63 on an eclipse GS-T) before, there are numerous possible cause for blowing this specific motor; back then for me, it was because I pulled the boost solenoid, and basically my turbocharger was running on non-regulated boost... together with the weak 2nd DSM engines (a problem previously known as the walking crankshaft), my engine blew in the middle of the road, leaving a trail of oil and tons of smoke. Hydrolocking the engine (or flooding it) is another possible reason for your incident, although I would believe that EVO engines are strong enough to sense the problem, get locked up and not start, instead of blowing up this easily. Having owned various turbocharged vehicles (2nd gen eclipse GST, 1.8T VW, and an audi s4 for a short period of time) I can honestly tell you that as technology progress, the OEM design for many parts (air intakes in particular) are getting a lot more efficient than before, and getting an aftermarket unit, while might give u that little bit of power, it is really not worth it, considering the instant void of warranty in most cases. The ralliart filter element is what they use on Rally EVO's; unless you are running an aftermarket turbo that needs the last milli square inch of air input, I really believe in most cases the EVO is optimized at the factory. If you do decide to change things on this car, I'd tell you from my own experience and knowledge, that a good set of hard I/C piping, along with some samco silicon hose, is a better investment than lets say a BOV or an intake... just a thought
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo sky
Speaking from experience (after blowing a 4G63 on an eclipse GS-T) before, there are numerous possible cause for blowing this specific motor; back then for me, it was because I pulled the boost solenoid, and basically my turbocharger was running on non-regulated boost... together with the weak 2nd DSM engines (a problem previously known as the walking crankshaft), my engine blew in the middle of the road, leaving a trail of oil and tons of smoke. Hydrolocking the engine (or flooding it) is another possible reason for your incident, although I would believe that EVO engines are strong enough to sense ...
What the hell are you talking about? Sensing water? You PULLED the wastegate selenoid? Crankwalk a contributer to blowing an engine? Dood, more reading, less typing.

Last edited by OnlineAlias; Jun 24, 2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

I am surprised they are covering it since an open element intake would allow the water to enter compared to the stock air box. You are very lucky if it's covered. The BOV is a non issue.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SinCityEvo
I am surprised they are covering it since an open element intake would allow the water to enter compared to the stock air box. You are very lucky if it's covered. The BOV is a non issue.
I was thinking the same thing...however, insurance must cover any boneheaded move...unlike a warranty.
Evolved Member

the AEM intake is known to make the MAF read incorectly(the frequency fluctuates too much), causing the engine to run lean and then boom..., imho aftermarket intakes are not worth the money, for 10hp you can buy a downpipe or high flow cat
Evolving Member

MMNA didn't cover it-- his insurance did. If it was water ingestion, then that would be basically a type of single-car accident.

His issue about the dealer not fixing it is a totally different story. I'd take it to another dealer.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo542
the AEM intake is known to make the MAF read incorectly(the frequency fluctuates too much), causing the engine to run lean and then boom..., imho aftermarket intakes are not worth the money, for 10hp you can buy a downpipe or high flow cat
this is exactly why I was wondering if it was a drop in replacement or a cone on a stick.

other MAF equipped cars have this same problem. WRXs for one.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Wait, how big was the puddle of water you ran thru? Also did you suck water up with the AEM intake or the stock?

Quick Reply: Engine & #4 Piston