Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

First Drive EVO VIII - Not blown away

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would assume you had great expectations because someone handed you your a$$ in your current car. My salesman sat next to me and said there is a street up here on the right, slow to 30mph and downshift to 2nd, don't hit the brakes, just make the turn. I know that I could make that turn at 35 or 40 now but at the time it sold me.
You have to wait until after 600 miles to really tell what it will do because you need to turn up the wick to feel the power. It only starts to pull at 4200 rpm and really comes on at around 5k. They run up to 7k stock but the power starts to drop off around 6500 rpm.
I have owned 10 second cars that would do 160 mph and bikes that would do 170 and lift the front tire at 130 but, I have never owned anything that was more fun to drive in my life.
I did drive a Pantera once that was a MAJOR rush but I don't think it would have made a good daily-driver.
BMan.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Points to consider:

1. Any Evo will do 0-60mph somewhere between 4.5 and 5.0 seconds. It will get to 60 mph in 3rd gear. That means you will make 2 shifts in a span of under 4 seconds. 1st was over before it began? Well, what did you expect? It's a close-ratio gearbox. Of course it's going to be short.

2. You don't buy an Evo for the build quality. It's terrible for a $30k car. But don't get me wrong. The important things, like drivetrain, are going to be reliable provided you know how to take care of it.

3. You didn't comment on the handling. Why not? This is a car that beat the STi even though the STi has more power and more displacement. The Evo beat it by outhandling the STi, and just about every other car out there.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

I dont get why people say the EVo is a JDM Mustang...unless you see 3 Evos on every japanese street. Maybe if you say JDM Mustang cobra or something, but frankly regular mustangs imho are just beefy looking neons/camry/cavalier/lancer.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

wow ------dont buy it
Old Jun 24, 2004, 06:43 PM

i had the exact opposite reaction, i was just joy riding, killing time. then i drove it and i bought it. the more i drive it (it is my daily driver), the more i love it. i had a camry for a bit because my car was getting serviced and i couldn't wait to get my evo back. if you don't like it, find something you do like.

can't wait for the MR, might have to trade.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Dude if you owned two Porsches why do you want to get an Evo. When I test drive a car, I don't give a damn if a saleman is sitting next to me. I drive that car as hard as I want, and if he tells me not to do that he can have his car and his sale. What you need is some type of high dollar sports car for your ego, not downgrade yourself to a car that has something called boost lag.

I'll tell you what, I will stay up with your porsche on any day and any track because I know how to drive my car.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

i bet this guy's from one of those porsche forums. every time you mention the evo in front of porsche enthusiasts, they jump to downplaying whatever they can about the evo. "cheap interior" "weird gearbox" i mean look, that was his first post and the list of cars he drove is a majority of porsches. and i love the shlt-talking disguised by plastic humility and comradery. **** you. go buy an e36 and fall over a cliff. ********.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by vin11
Today I had the opportunity to test drive a new (left over) 03 EVO VIII. I had very high expectations and was excited to finally drive the car that I have read so much about. I can get a great deal on it and can get it for $27,500.00 plus tax. A savings of over $3000 off of the sticker price.
However, my first impression was not as I anticipated - actually it was a let down. For me, it is very difficult to get comfortable and really feel the car with a salesman next to you watching your every move - so I understand that I really did not have time to really feel the car. But I was not overly impressed with it. The throttle was extremely sensitive almost to the point it was jumpy. First gear was finished way before I was ready to shift, like a whirlwind and shorter than I ever expected.

I had no idea how fast I was going since I could not read the speedo. The black background was incredibly difficult to read and was almost useless. The numbers we so small and hard to see. Maybe its better at night, but in the middle of the day, it was hard to see.

I liked 3rd gear, the ratios seemed to provide the most pull without that "short" feeling. Once I had shifted to fourth and had the opportunity cruise for a few moments, I hit the throttle and expected the turbo to kick in and propel me to 90 in a flash, but this never happened. I heard the motor and slowly the RPMS grew and it for me, it was nothing special. Actually, I did not feel the turbo at all except for 1st gear which like I said was over before I knew it.

The interior quality was poor, cheap plastic and other materials and extremely un-refined. I almost broke the glove box off the hinge when I opened it. It was flimsy and delicate.

I have had the pleasure of owning and driving some of the finest automoblies including (2) Porsche 911's, a 911 Turbo, BMW 5 series, etc. and just recently a 03 Mustang Cobra Conv. (390HP) and a Cayenne. Now don't get me wrong, I understand I am compairing a $27K Evo to a $85K Porsche 911 -but I expected that this car was unbelievable.

So here I am contemplating this purchase with mixed feelings. I can honestly say it did not blow me away like I thought that it would. I would like to try it again without the rushed salesperson atmosphere, but you all know that is next to impossible.

Does this car get better than this? Are you owners happy with the quality of the product and what are YOU compairing it to?
Please help.
Dear Vin11,
as you can see I had a 911 turbo and a Cayenne Turbo, so I think I can give you a better understanding of the car you test driven:

You cannot compare the quality of the interior between the Evo and a luxury car, I do not even understand why you make this kind of remark...

You complain about the first gear? The 911tt last lest then a second in 1st gera if you know hoe to launch the car, so what is the surprise.... The Evo is a aport car and sport cars are fast, if you are not able to handle it do not buy a sport car...

The throttle is extremely sensitive because you are driving a 4 cylinders, 6 or 8 cylinders are slower to respond to the throttle, also you do not have an electronic throttle (did you ever notice the dangerous lag on the throttle on the Cayenne?, sometimes you can push it to the floor and nothing happens for a second...) i think it is up to you to understand better the car and modulate your foot on the throttle.

You are saying that you did not feel the turbo... when did you change gear? did you go all the way up or you changed a 5k rpm? I can tell that after I broke in the engine changing gear between 6500 and 7000 you will feel the turbo.
by the way the 911tt is one of the few cars (maybe the only one) that can give 1 G acceleration but that does not mean anything, there are other cars that are fast as the 911 that do not give that unbelievable pushing feeling.

The only thing that I agree with you is about the speedometer, I am missing the Porsche that gives you the speed in digits... but I am almost sure that I can find an aftermarket gadget that will fix that... (BTW it won't cost a fortune like a Porsche aftermarket gadget...)

I am sorry fo you that you could not try the car in the corners, did you take any 90 degrees corner at 60 mph? Did you try a fast slalom? This is the groud where you will never beat the Evo. This car is made for driving to the mountains , this car is begging for corners , it is so easy that really scares me... As of now I am not able to find the limit of the car and I cannot say the same about 911tt ....
I can tell you that I am not a cruiser guy and I do not care a lot about sprint (even if it is funny to see the face of porsche drivers when i beat them...) but I love to drive fast and I can do it with my EVO VIII, this is the ultimate street driving car
Old Jun 24, 2004, 06:54 PM

I certainly agree that the EVO felt very responsive and I agree that the handling was awesome - and in that respect it felt as good if not better than cars in different classes i.e Porsche, Audi, BMW, Corvette etc.
I guess my expectations of the final product in terms of ALL aspects was higher from reading all of the posts, mags, etc.

I guess those of you who own the vehicle, know the power band, and how to drive it well.

I am looking forward to a STI Test Drive and would love to compare the two while this feeling is still fresh in my mind. Now to find a dealer willing. Honestly, that is the worst part about this.

I live on Long Island, in NY and would welcome any response.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SidewaysEvo
just like people to crap on everything they don't know about. This car must have done sumthing right to be around so long. Everybody is a hater. If u don't like it don't buy it. and guy with the oz rally don't have cuz u don't have a evo. I would hate on evo owners too if i had a piece of crap oz rally.
Wow..take it easy buddy.. who says I'm hating.. Guess its just another EVO owner with his head up his ***... Geez.. my first post in a "EVO" forum and I get bashed.. Guess I'm not good enough for you EVO guys... WTF? ***...
Old Jun 24, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by gnulooks
Dude if you owned two Porsches why do you want to get an Evo. When I test drive a car, I don't give a damn if a saleman is sitting next to me. I drive that car as hard as I want, and if he tells me not to do that he can have his car and his sale. What you need is some type of high dollar sports car for your ego, not downgrade yourself to a car that has something called boost lag.

I'll tell you what, I will stay up with your porsche on any day and any track because I know how to drive my car.
You got it right, I was driving porsche and now I enjoy EVOVIII and I do not feel downgraded, really I feel the opposite
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vin11
I have had the pleasure of owning and driving some of the finest automoblies including (2) Porsche 911's, a 911 Turbo, BMW 5 series, etc. and just recently a 03 Mustang Cobra Conv. (390HP) and a Cayenne. Now don't get me wrong, I understand I am compairing a $27K Evo to a $85K Porsche 911 -but I expected that this car was unbelievable.Please help.
Well, I don't know why you were interested in the Evo then. Go buy another Porsche. I think you'll feel like an *** when an Evo lines up next to you and launches. You are trying to compare this car to 6 and 8 cylinder cars. Whatever... sorry you didn't get a good drive. Go watch some Top Gear episodes and you'll see that the Evo has some of the fastest times compared to some six digit cars.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

if you owned all those porsches, if you really want the car, if you really have the cash, I think you can test drive one by yourself.

also, do you know how to drive, how does it feel to drive an AWD car? not a SUV!
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:06 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

One of the reasons I bought this car is extremely direct throttle (no stupid drive-by-wire), rpm meter in the middle where you can see it best, gearbox and very good suspension. When I drove it I forgot about the interior. That was my first complaint as well. I owned a 03 Accord V6 and interior was light years better however once I got it over 3k rpm that was it. If you never got a chance to boost the car probably felt like crap. What I noticed as well is with AC on, it's way slower and you have to rev it more on the launch.
Unlike some others I also don't feel comfortable with a sales guy riding with my because then I don't get a chance to explore as much. However I was lucky beause I got a young dude and he was ok if I ran it a bit harder and cornered a bit faster
I think the gears are done pretty goodl. In my opinion it would be better to shorten 5th and add 6th for cruising but I can't complain that they are too short.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:12 PM

Believe it or not, around here, it is extremely difficult to get a test drive. Dealers don't have demos and are reluctant to let you test drive.
I had to leave a deposit and go through the whole deal - meet the finance guy, etc. before he would let me drive.

Quick Reply: First Drive EVO VIII - Not blown away