Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

First Drive EVO VIII - Not blown away

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vin11
I certainly agree that the EVO felt very responsive and I agree that the handling was awesome - and in that respect it felt as good if not better than cars in different classes i.e Porsche, Audi, BMW, Corvette etc.
I guess my expectations of the final product in terms of ALL aspects was higher from reading all of the posts, mags, etc.

I guess those of you who own the vehicle, know the power band, and how to drive it well.

I am looking forward to a STI Test Drive and would love to compare the two while this feeling is still fresh in my mind. Now to find a dealer willing. Honestly, that is the worst part about this.

I live on Long Island, in NY and would welcome any response.
Well let me be the first to tell you. ( I have both the STi and an EVO)
If its acceleration your looking for and you want something that is ok in the corners, then the STi is for you.

If you can get a REAL test drive in the EVO, i promise you'll never take a look back at the STi after driving it.

Get a few easy mods in an evo and you will never regret going with an evo... unless you beat the crap out of it and then try to get it fixed under warranty.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by LateSleeper
Well, I don't know why you were interested in the Evo then. Go buy another Porsche. I think you'll feel like an *** when an Evo lines up next to you and launches. You are trying to compare this car to 6 and 8 cylinder cars. Whatever... sorry you didn't get a good drive. Go watch some Top Gear episodes and you'll see that the Evo has some of the fastest times compared to some six digit cars.
I am interested in the EVO because:
1) I think it is a totally hot looking car
2) AWD is more driveable in the New York Winters.
3) Price. Obivously I can afford to get those other cars, but I not concerned with price as much as fun factor / Performance.
4) I am an automobile enthusiast. Like most of you, I appreciate performance and motorsports. This car and its rival the STI have been the buzz in the industry for some time now. I would not be a true car buff without exploring the EVO or STI.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

This guy may well have owned a bunch of expensive cars, but that doesn't mean he knows how to drive. If the professionals rate the car as independants and they get the opportunity to drive anything on the road, why should this guy know any better.

He should stick to the Cayenne (wow real pretty overpriced pos)
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

I would not be a true car buff without exploring the EVO or STI.

get both, that will make you happy for some time
Evolving Member

I am interested in the EVO because:
1) I think it is a totally hot looking car
2) AWD is more driveable in the New York Winters.
3) Price. Obivously I can afford to get those other cars, but I not concerned with price as much as fun factor / Performance.
4) I am an automobile enthusiast. Like most of you, I appreciate performance and motorsports. This car and its rival the STI have been the buzz in the industry for some time now. I would not be a true car buff without exploring the EVO or STI.
If I were you I would get a 350Z and install the Power enterprise twin turbo kit, 370whp plus luxury(more then the evo) and handling.
Evolved Member

Did you ever think this is an 03 and it is halfway thru 04 and you might have gotten into one ragged out Evo. Think of the mileage and what it's life probably has been like. I would never purchase the test car.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

If you are in New York contact some of the local guys in NY and get them to take you for a ride or just show up to one of Evo NY meets. Then I garauntee your socks will be blown off by an owner who has learned the potential of this beast.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:37 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDTurbo4
get both, that will make you happy for some time
This is a good advice. If you have enough $$ for a 911, I'd definitely get both the STi and the Evo. Especially since the new 05 STis have even better looking interior and somewhate improved suspension and wider 8" rims.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

wait for the MR. more power to ya.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

If you can, get a ride with one of the local guys. It's hard to get a good test drive with the salesman next to you. This car is gem when you are in boost.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Cars that I think vin11 should take for a spin are the 350Z (Touring or Track), the S2000, and the Impreza WRX STi. These cars can be had for the same amount of bucks as the Evolution, and these are cars that are cross-shopped a bit.

No one who truly is considering a 911 is looking at the Evolution unless they have a stable they can fill. If you really enjoy the 996, you might want to stick with it, because as long as you don't succumb to option fever you really cannot complain about the overall package at all.

-----

I was on the fence for the Evolution for a long while. My primary candidate for a LONG time was the S2000, but I've sold myself on the Evolution after some seat time in some forum members' cars on the track, and my dealership allowing me a test drive.

Now comparing to the S, here's what I found:
  • The S2000 has one of the highest residual values of any car. The Evolution is well below average
  • Unless abused, the S2000 has few problems. Folks are getting > 10,000 track miles between rebuilds. The Evo may have some issues.
  • Regular maintenance for the S2000 is much less often and is less expensive than for the Evolution
  • The interior quality of the S2000 is well above that of the Evolution
  • The ride quality of the S2000 is comfortable for a fairly raw sports car

For the Evo versus the S, this is what I found:
  • The Evolution can best many very-well regarded cars on the track.
  • I have an excellent pre-existing relationship with my dealer
  • 4 doors and a larger trunk area is considerably more practical
  • AWD, ACD, and a set of snow tires will make winter far less troublesome than with the S2000
  • The upgraded Infinity sound system is steps above the S2000s
  • The Evolution's insurance is a bit lower, and no worries about vandalism to the soft-top (or purchasing the optional hardtop).

Either way, it's a series of compromises when you look at one car against the other. All cars are this way. The Evolution completely sacrifices ride quality and comfort all in the name of a pure performance package. I decided that if I'm going to go "all-out" on a sports car, I'm going to go all the way. I'd still like to grab an S2000 one day -- it's a great car for the money -- but for now I decided to go with the Evolution.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:56 PM

sounds like vin11 is an enthusiast in the oldman autobahn style (porsche, audi, bmw) likes to drive fast in straight wide open roads. by his own description, he's not into the younger spirit of driving ie. tackling corners, drifting around backroads and mountain passes. therefore the evo (and im pretty sure the sti) wont impress him much. oh well too bad i guess different strokes for different blokes
Old Jun 24, 2004, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djdaizzy
If I were you I would get a 350Z and install the Power enterprise twin turbo kit, 370whp plus luxury(more then the evo) and handling.
Ehhh 350z, nice looking cars but a dime a dozen. I must of seen at least 8 on the road today! One of the best things about driving an Evo is that there are hardly any out there. Its great driving something different. Just toom any Z's out on the road.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be he just does not like it. If you drive hard, the Evo is the car to get. If cruising is a large part of your car enjoyment than look elsewhere. Evos are not for everbody but that is the point. Better to think it through now than regret it latter.

A mild test drive does not display the Evo's talents very well. Driven slow it is just a car with nice seats. Drive harder and it just magic.

So if the salesman with you restrained your driving, I would try get a ride in a members Evo.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by SidewaysEvo
just like people to crap on everything they don't know about. This car must have done sumthing right to be around so long. Everybody is a hater. If u don't like it don't buy it. and guy with the oz rally don't have cuz u don't have a evo. I would hate on evo owners too if i had a piece of crap oz rally.
My friend started using that around me because I'm looking to buy an EVO. What it means is the car is much like a mustang. You buy it for the speed and don't epect anything else like the interior or a quite ride.

Quick Reply: First Drive EVO VIII - Not blown away