Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

First Drive EVO VIII - Not blown away

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2004, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SidewaysEvo
just like people to crap on everything they don't know about. This car must have done sumthing right to be around so long. Everybody is a hater. If u don't like it don't buy it. and guy with the oz rally don't have cuz u don't have a evo. I would hate on evo owners too if i had a piece of crap oz rally.
excuse me for owning an oz lancer...i am young and can't afford the insurance or the extra 10k since i already own a home as well...and for only being 21 that is not bad...you on the other hand have been extremely rude! everyone else on here is being open and understanding of someones opinion of the test ride of an evo. this person is looking to ask questions and to learn more about the car before making a huge purchase. Also everyone else on here is being honest about the overall performance of the car itself...it is a wonderful car for price and how it handles...yes it is not a big v8 but it is a fun and good overall car...but we are all indiviuals and have our own personal preferences which are all different...those who wants a car that goes fast in a straight line this is not the car for him and any real car enthusiast should know to research and test drive the car first as each person wants to have a car tuned specially for them...i have meet some great evo drivers who have not once put me for owning a lancer....you on the other hand have been rude and should apologize....or go get back in you evo and drive far away from this site as this is not what it is about....go read up on more cars and come back when you have a more grounded opinion that people can appreciate.
thanks
lindsey
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:36 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if your like porsche, go buy one and stop complaining. you can't expect porsche quality from a car that costs 2 times less.

You'll be lucky we even have glovebox or carpet for the performance of this car.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:08 AM

Talking

I was happy with the EVO’s performance when I test drove one. When I first see the blacked out dash from the magazine I thought I will have trouble reading it but hell no, it’s bright and clear. If you drive manual car enough it become your second nature to just peak the dash for the rpm when it reach the top. The turbo does not give the rush as 911 turbo but try to stay in the power band you won’t feel any lag and will give you enough torque. The interior is cheap but would you rather have a better interior with a cheap seat or a nice recaro and momo steering wheel? The handing is nimble with precise corning and although the shifter is not as smooth as S2000 or RX8, it’s pretty short and very easy to use. Overall this car gives you the best for the bucks from the racing perspective.
I have a 911 turbo,a m3 and have test-drove tons of sports cars. My buddy and I call our Saturday morning dealer’s inventory counting time and we go test drive after the tennis game. We don't abuse the car but we do drive it pretty hard, red-line each up-shift, heel & toe every down shift. A tip for test drive is if you can’t find a deal let you test drive the car, try to find it in the used car dealer.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
if your like porsche, go buy one and stop complaining. you can't expect porsche quality from a car that costs 2 times less.

You'll be lucky we even have glovebox or carpet for the performance of this car.

wait wait 2 times? dude thats porsche boxster and thats friggin slow (relative to the evo).... even the 350z edges it out.... boxster is g35coupe level...... to get a porsche to hang with the evo, you gotta get a 911... about 3 times the price of an evo...
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vin11
Today I had the opportunity to test drive a new (left over) 03 EVO VIII. I had very high expectations and was excited to finally drive the car that I have read so much about. I can get a great deal on it and can get it for $27,500.00 plus tax. A savings of over $3000 off of the sticker price.
However, my first impression was not as I anticipated - actually it was a let down. For me, it is very difficult to get comfortable and really feel the car with a salesman next to you watching your every move - so I understand that I really did not have time to really feel the car. But I was not overly impressed with it. The throttle was extremely sensitive almost to the point it was jumpy. First gear was finished way before I was ready to shift, like a whirlwind and shorter than I ever expected.

I had no idea how fast I was going since I could not read the speedo. The black background was incredibly difficult to read and was almost useless. The numbers we so small and hard to see. Maybe its better at night, but in the middle of the day, it was hard to see.

I liked 3rd gear, the ratios seemed to provide the most pull without that "short" feeling. Once I had shifted to fourth and had the opportunity cruise for a few moments, I hit the throttle and expected the turbo to kick in and propel me to 90 in a flash, but this never happened. I heard the motor and slowly the RPMS grew and it for me, it was nothing special. Actually, I did not feel the turbo at all except for 1st gear which like I said was over before I knew it.

The interior quality was poor, cheap plastic and other materials and extremely un-refined. I almost broke the glove box off the hinge when I opened it. It was flimsy and delicate.

I have had the pleasure of owning and driving some of the finest automoblies including (2) Porsche 911's, a 911 Turbo, BMW 5 series, etc. and just recently a 03 Mustang Cobra Conv. (390HP) and a Cayenne. Now don't get me wrong, I understand I am compairing a $27K Evo to a $85K Porsche 911 -but I expected that this car was unbelievable.

So here I am contemplating this purchase with mixed feelings. I can honestly say it did not blow me away like I thought that it would. I would like to try it again without the rushed salesperson atmosphere, but you all know that is next to impossible.

Does this car get better than this? Are you owners happy with the quality of the product and what are YOU compairing it to?
Please help.

You are 100% Correct and Sports Compact Car is 100% Wrong. Thanks for coming on the forum and speaking the truth

SCC Car of the Year: 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII

By Scott Oldham
Photography: Josh Jacquot

A bigger gas tank.

It's taken a year, but we've finally found a flaw in the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII, a ***** in its armor as they say. After 12 months of testing, which included a fierce head-to-head shootout with its arch-nemesis, the 300-hp Subaru WRX STi (SCC, July '03)--which it won--and another vs. the best high-dollar performance cars from Germany, the Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, the Audi S4 and the BMW M3 (SCC, Sept. '03)--which it won--we conclude that the EVO is not exactly perfect.

Sponsored Links

Buy 2004 Mitsubishi
Save thousands on Mitsubishi models Free new car quote in 60 seconds!
www.automotive.com

Buy New Mitsubishi
Free New Car Quote. Simple 1-Minute Secure Form. No Obligation to Buy!
www.newcar.com

Buy New Mitsubishi
Save Time & Money! Up-Front Pricing and a No-Hassle Buying Experience.
www.valuepricing.com

Sure, it's fast, good looking and an unbelievable value. Sure, it handles like an exotic, responds to modification and offers the practicality of a useable backseat and a good-sized trunk. Sure, it can smoke nearly anything on the road right out of the box, and has proven to be bulletproof, but the EVO, while great, isn't without imperfection.
It needs a bigger gas tank. Drive it hard, which you can't help but do, and you're lucky to travel 180 miles before its gas gauge is screaming for more go-juice.

This, of course, like saying Carmen Electra can't spell pneumonia, falls under the category of "Who The Hell Cares?" We don't. If you're into driving fast, if you're into tuning your ride, if you're into getting the most car for your hard-earned dollars; heck, if you're reading this magazine, the Lancer Evolution VIII is the car for you.

Just look at the EVO's window sticker. It reads like the spec sheet of an enthusiast's dream car. For the base MSRP of $28,987, you get all-wheel drive with limited-slip center and rear differentials, Brembos at all four corners, 271 pissed-off horses from a hyper-responsive twin-scroll turbo, forged aluminum suspension, Recaro seats, a MOMO steering wheel, aluminum hood and front fenders, and gummy Yokohama tires mounted on ultra-light forged Enkei alloy rims.

Plus, you get the usual new car luxury items like power windows, power locks and air conditioning, and for just $480 more, you can get a huge carbon-fiber wing like the one on our silver photo car.

And Mitsu didn't just throw these parts together. Mitsubishi has its priorities straight, and tuned this car to make the most of its hardware. Although based on the Lancer, which is sold as inexpensive transportation for the masses, the EVO never feels cheap, crude or tinny. It's actually a refined package, with quick, communicative steering, and a firm, but surprisingly compliant highway ride.

And its performance is nothing short of world class. On HKS' all-wheel-drive Dynojet, the EVO's 4G63 made an impressive 233 hp at 5800 rpm and 252 lb-ft of torque at 3800 rpm. And on the test track we've seen performance numbers previously unheard of at the EVO's sticker price. This car accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds, runs the quarter mile in 13.4 at 102.5 mph, stops from 60 mph in only 106 feet, circles our 200-foot skidpad in an incredible .95g and hurdles through our 700-foot slalom at 73.1 mph.

This is the kind of performance CEOs once had to pay more than $100,000 for, and only found by shopping brands like Porsche and Ferrari. Only now, it's obtainable to all of us in a $30,000 Mitsubishi. A Mitsubishi we can drive to work every day, while carpooling with three co-workers.

And that's why we've chosen the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII as our 2004 Sport Compact Car of the Year.

MITSUBISHI LANCER EVO VIII
Estimated Price: $28,987
Engine
Engine Code: 4G63
Type: Inline four, iron block aluminum head, turbocharged and intercooled
Valvetrain: DOHC, four valves per cylinder
Displacement: 1997cc
Bore x Stroke: 85.0mm x 88.0mm
Compression Ratio: 8.8:1
Claimed Crank Hp: 271 hp @ 6500 rpm
Claimed Crank Torque: 273 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm
Measured Wheel Hp: 233 hp @ 5800 rpm
Measured Wheel Torque: 252 lb-ft @ 3800 rpm
Redline: 7000 rpm
Drivetrain
Layout: Transverse front engine, all-wheel drive
Transmission: Five-speed manual
Gear Ratios
1: 2.928:1
2: 1.950:1
3: 1.407:1
4: 1.031:1
5: 0.720:1
Final drive: 4.529:1
Differentials
Front: Open
Center: Viscous limited slip
Rear: Clutch-type limited slip
Exterior Dimensions
Curb Weight: 3,263 lbs
Weight Distribution F/R: 60/40
Overall Length: 178.5 in.
Wheelbase: 103.3 in.
Overall Width: 69.7 in.
Track F/R: 59.6 in./59.6 in.
Height: 57.1 in.
Suspension
Front: MacPherson Strut, anti-roll bar
Rear: Upper and lower control arms, one trailing link, anti-roll bar
Brakes
Front: 12.7-inch vented discs, four-piston Brembo calipers
Rear: 11.9-inch vented discs, two-piston Brembo calipers
Electronic Driving Aids/Inhibitors: ABS
Wheels and Tires
Wheels: 17 x 8-inch aluminum
Tires: 215/45ZR17 Continental Conti SportContact
Performance Acceleration
Quarter-Mile Time @ Speed: 13.4 sec. @ 102.5 mph
0-30 mph: 1.7 sec.
0-60 mph: 5.3 sec.
30-50 mph: 2.1 sec.
50-70 mph: 2.9 sec.
Handling
Lateral Grip (200-ft skidpad): 0.95g
Slalom Speed (700-ft slalom): 73.1 mph
Braking
60-0 Stopping Distance: 106 ft

Last edited by snoop; Jun 25, 2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the best quality of the EVO, besides the handling, is the steering response! I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY by how well our cars slalom. If you watch that salesman training video, you can see how well the EVO transitions from left to right and vice versa.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albu...ning_Video.avi
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, there are plenty of guys in NYC/LI. Can't one of you guys give him a ride in your Evo. Vin needs to see what this bad boy can do. Maybe a turbo conversion Evo will suit his taste.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

hahah someone want to let me take a test drive too?
Old Jun 25, 2004, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Never base your decision on one test drive only.

Make sure and drive a few samples of a car before you buy. I have driven more than a few Evos at dealers and one or two had some problems.

Getting in touch with your local EVO club and getting a few test drives there is a great idea!
Old Jun 25, 2004, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Just sounds to me like you have not driven a turbo car before....and who looks at speedometers anyway? The most important gauge to look at is the tach. First gear snuck up on me is just a weak thing to say.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 02:04 PM

When I test drove the Evo, I "tested" the brakes so hard, the salesmans glasses fell off his nose.

Thats what sold it for me.

I agree, stock, it is far from supercar acceleration, top speed, or interior fit and finish. But, everything else performance wise is well into supercar territory.

Going fast only takes horsepower, you can mail order horsepower. ( no offense to you really fast Evo's out there or tuners)

You can't go to the corner speed shop and buy any of the other stuff that makes the Evo hands down such a great car stock, handling, balance, stopping power, feedback etc.

If you could, SRT-4's would hang in turns, Porsche owners wouldn't be making so many excuses, and little kids would have chevy Cavalier posters on their bedroom walls.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

However, my first impression was not as I anticipated - actually it was a let down. For me, it is very difficult to get comfortable and really feel the car with a salesman next to you watching your every move - so I understand that I really did not have time to really feel the car. But I was not overly impressed with it. The throttle was extremely sensitive almost to the point it was jumpy. First gear was finished way before I was ready to shift, like a whirlwind and shorter than I ever expected.

I had no idea how fast I was going since I could not read the speedo. The black background was incredibly difficult to read and was almost useless. The numbers we so small and hard to see. Maybe its better at night, but in the middle of the day, it was hard to see.

I liked 3rd gear, the ratios seemed to provide the most pull without that "short" feeling. Once I had shifted to fourth and had the opportunity cruise for a few moments, I hit the throttle and expected the turbo to kick in and propel me to 90 in a flash, but this never happened. I heard the motor and slowly the RPMS grew and it for me, it was nothing special. Actually, I did not feel the turbo at all except for 1st gear which like I said was over before I knew it.

The interior quality was poor, cheap plastic and other materials and extremely un-refined. I almost broke the glove box off the hinge when I opened it. It was flimsy and delicate.
So here I am contemplating this purchase with mixed feelings
If you were so let down by the Evolution, why are you even bothering to buy one? Most people that buy an Evolution cant afford such high end cars as yourself, If you want refinement, speed, luxury why waste the money? You already own it!
Old Jun 25, 2004, 02:53 PM
choad

To post that you were unimpressed with the EVO on the EVOm boards is like walking into a biker bar and yelling at the top of your lungs..

"Harley Davidsons suck my ***!!!.."

Anyways, on the topic of posteriors..

Opinions are in fact like a-holes..

Cuz everybody has one!!

Old Jun 25, 2004, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

I had to test drive the EVO twice before I fell in love. Between I drove the STi which isn't half bad, just more expensive.

I think the critism of the EVO's interior is over done. There are plenty of $20K cars that have worse interiors. Just look at anything made by Ford, GM or Chyrsyler. But as already beaten to death: this car is not about luxury, it is about going around corners really fast, even when those corners are not paved.

If you are on the market for an EVO, drive it first, then go drive an STi, then drive the EVO again. For me the second ride did the trick.

Good luck on your hunt.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the pleasure of owning and driving some of the finest automoblies..... but I expected that this car was unbelievable.
What makes you think that the Evo was going to be unbelievable compared to the cars you mentioned? I think you are acting dumb so you can make an arguement against the Evo.

The throttle was extremely sensitive almost to the point it was jumpy.
Obviously you need to replace your big ***, non-driving shoes with something more appropriate. And considering the type of person you are I also need to remind you that driving the evo with boxing gloves will result in "jumpy" steering.

Quick Reply: First Drive EVO VIII - Not blown away