Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

First Drive EVO VIII - Not blown away

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2004 | 04:15 PM

Hey I feel for you Vin11,

Its like the first time I got to Fu_K Pam Anderson, Iwas so hyped up from watching that vid with Tommy Lee, that my expectations were so high!!!! It was Kind of a let down. She Was a little unresonsive and the first load went by soooo fast!!!! Don't get me wrong, I have had the pleasure of Driving some High class A$$, like Britney S, Haley B, Claudia Shiffer (shwing)..... I mean these girls were so hot ... I found Pam to be a little plastic!!!

Old Jun 25, 2004 | 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Good analogy!
Old Jun 25, 2004 | 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Comparing a car such as the Evo to a 911 Turbo is like comparing chocolate and **** (a quote from Initial D) because undoubtedly the 911 Turbo is a much more pleasing car to the senses, but I think I speak for the many when I say that the Evo can hold its own. IMHO the Evo caters to the many, while the 911 Turbo is a bit more exclusive (if you haven't noticed the price tag). If you can spare the cash, go ahead and get an expensive car. There's nothing wrong with that. Personally, I'm setting my eyes on a Skyline R34, but I don't have THAT kind of money under the couch. So I bought an Evo. With a few modifications here and there, I'm able to duplicate a 911 Turbo's performance, likely even surpass it. I may not have heated leather seats or a navigation system (or score Playboy chicks), but my car gets me from A to B and I get to toy with Corvettes and Vipers along my way to work (rush hour gives you an audience). Hell, I've even messed with a few 911s and a Ferrari (actually it was me and my friend; we both have Evos; toying with a Ferrari was fun!). I love seeing the look on their faces when they see me inching closer in their rearview mirror (I love chasing cars) and hearing my blowoff valve go off. It's all in good fun though. I never take it too far where an accident might take place. Anyway, I have no ill feelings towards you for your critical comments. I hope you find the car that best suits your style. Just don't get smoked by an Evo on your way to work.
Old Jun 25, 2004 | 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

I think that just about covers it.
Don’t buy the car man.
Stick to the luxury cars, if leather wrapped ac vents are your thing.
No offence.
No I don't care if it offends you. You just dogged the car I own.
Just stick to your rich boy toys, let us have our fun.
Old Jun 25, 2004 | 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, I see now...

4) I am an automobile enthusiast. Like most of you, I appreciate performance and motorsports.

Car & Driver / Automobile bread. Not Hot Rod / Sport Compact Car.

Dood, I am a car guy... I have been tossed from the best strips in SoCal for not following tech rules. I have mixed fuel and oxidizers in the same tank for the sake of 50 extra horses.
I love my EVO and if I dumped 40K more into it even Enzo would **** his drawers if I took him for a ride.
BMan
Old Jun 25, 2004 | 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Your is opinion is your opinion. And I can agree with it somewhat. I too was a little dissapointed during my test drive(around the block). But the day I came home with it? Awesome night.

Performance wise, this car has spoiled me.
Honestly don't think I can ever own another car again.

But what really got me, is the fact that you criticized the interior, while then mentioning praise for an 03 Cobra.... please.
Ford, mustangs in particular, interiors have to be the worse in production. Plastic, rubbery, cheesy... I was so disgusted in my test drive of that car.
Yes it is true, the Evo's interior isn't upscale quality... but at least it's simple. Nothing about it screams "look at me." It's plain and to the point.
The speedo and tach do seem a little out of the way, but give it a few days to set, and readjust yourself to it. And it works perfectly.

I won't even comment on the "performance" of this 03 cobra. But I will express my amazement it came with a steering wheel. Because what good could you find for this car, other than a straight line.
Old Jun 25, 2004 | 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vin11
Today I had the opportunity to test drive a new (left over) 03 EVO VIII. I had very high expectations and was excited to finally drive the car that I have read so much about. I can get a great deal on it and can get it for $27,500.00 plus tax. A savings of over $3000 off of the sticker price.
However, my first impression was not as I anticipated - actually it was a let down. For me, it is very difficult to get comfortable and really feel the car with a salesman next to you watching your every move - so I understand that I really did not have time to really feel the car. But I was not overly impressed with it. The throttle was extremely sensitive almost to the point it was jumpy. First gear was finished way before I was ready to shift, like a whirlwind and shorter than I ever expected.

I had no idea how fast I was going since I could not read the speedo. The black background was incredibly difficult to read and was almost useless. The numbers we so small and hard to see. Maybe its better at night, but in the middle of the day, it was hard to see.

I liked 3rd gear, the ratios seemed to provide the most pull without that "short" feeling. Once I had shifted to fourth and had the opportunity cruise for a few moments, I hit the throttle and expected the turbo to kick in and propel me to 90 in a flash, but this never happened. I heard the motor and slowly the RPMS grew and it for me, it was nothing special. Actually, I did not feel the turbo at all except for 1st gear which like I said was over before I knew it.

The interior quality was poor, cheap plastic and other materials and extremely un-refined. I almost broke the glove box off the hinge when I opened it. It was flimsy and delicate.

I have had the pleasure of owning and driving some of the finest automoblies including (2) Porsche 911's, a 911 Turbo, BMW 5 series, etc. and just recently a 03 Mustang Cobra Conv. (390HP) and a Cayenne. Now don't get me wrong, I understand I am compairing a $27K Evo to a $85K Porsche 911 -but I expected that this car was unbelievable.

So here I am contemplating this purchase with mixed feelings. I can honestly say it did not blow me away like I thought that it would. I would like to try it again without the rushed salesperson atmosphere, but you all know that is next to impossible.

Does this car get better than this? Are you owners happy with the quality of the product and what are YOU compairing it to?
Please help.
First of all, get a new pair of glasses. I think your not seeing the EVO clearly! Second stick to your $85k German crap, a "Ford" always needs repair and a "wannabe" cayenne suv, why settle for a $27k EVO That can out handle your "porsche", out-accelerate any of your previous cars.
Old Jun 25, 2004 | 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Dude, what are you smoking. It sounds like you were expecting the evo to have the build quality of a Porsche. We don't buy evo's because its interior quality is great, and we didn't buy it because it has smooth shifts, and when you're driving an evo, you tend to not to care about how fast you're going. And the way you put it into words, it sounds like you're complaining that it's to fast. And if you can afford two 911's and a Cayenne, than maybe you shouldn't be messing around with a $27,000 car. And I think I speak for most people on this forum when I say that we buy the evo for what it is. If you feel that way then don't buy it.
Old Jun 25, 2004 | 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_dude
Dude, what are you smoking. It sounds like you were expecting the evo to have the build quality of a Porsche. We don't buy evo's because its interior quality is great, and we didn't buy it because it has smooth shifts, and when you're driving an evo, you tend to not to care about how fast you're going. And the way you put it into words, it sounds like you're complaining that it's to fast. And if you can afford two 911's and a Cayenne, than maybe you shouldn't be messing around with a $27,000 car. And I think I speak for most people on this forum when I say that we buy the evo for what it is. If you feel that way then don't buy it.
I AGREE!!
Old Jun 25, 2004 | 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Me and my friend drove an evo the other day, I was also not impressed at all. 19 psi ? lol it feels like nothing ... but that is stock so what do you expect. the evo smashes with mods. On the other hand, we drove an STi, wow, that was a nice car. good day.
Old Jun 25, 2004 | 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

If I had that kind of money I'd be buying a Ferrari.

Worst part is the guy has the money for all the mods, but I still don't think he should by it. Doesn't sound like a match for you.
Old Jun 26, 2004 | 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

why exactly are you here?
Old Jun 26, 2004 | 05:57 AM

OK. Alot of you have taken my point and turned it around. I was not making a direct comparison to the porsche interms of quality nor was I saying that I did not like the EVO. However, these automobiles are my point of refrence for this comparison.

It was extremely fun to drive and handled like the rally car that I expected.

My point was that my expectations of the car from a complete overall STOCK off the lot - Quality, performance, finish...was higher then after I drove it. I was not blown away like the magazines said I would be.

I agree that the 03 Mustang Cobra that I sold a few months ago was also horrible in quality it is all plastic crap. Same idea. This is why I sold it.

The point i'm trying to make is that other manufacturers can build quality products at affordable prices. Look at the C class benz or Audi A4 these cars are not too much more than the EVO. Granted the EVO has a $1000 intercooler and $500 turbo - and those cars do not do 0-60 in 5 sec.. But I certainly would be willing to spend a few extra bucks to get the COMPLETE package.

Now, in order to satisfy a lot of you who have critizied me for mentioning these other more expensive cars like the porsche and BMW, I looked at the Subaru WRX STI yesterday to make a DIRECT comparison in terms of Quaility and finish.

The 05 WRX STI that I looked at had a sticker price of $32,770 and was able to negotiate this price to $31,500 plus tax. I was not able to drive it, since like I mentioned earlier its not easy to test these cars around here.

But, I was able to sit in it, and start it up. (Big Deal) but my first impression was much more pleasurable the the EVO. The interior was much more refined and the dash was extremely easy to read. In addition, the dash had the exterior temp, shift light, and clear and easy to read numbers. The 05 STI includes a radio which was decient and much better made then the EVO / Mitsubishi radio. The seats were about the same, but the STI did not have a moonroof. The STI had a better ergo feel and better location for accessories like boost gauge.

Without driving the car, I can already see that my impression of EVO was correct.
Looking at the EVO, it looks like the interior of a $10,000 car with a motor from a rally car.

Now before you bash me, and tell me to go buy the STI and stop posting here or somehting like that... think about what I have said in terms of OVERALL Quality and dollar for dollar VALUE that so many of you have mentioned.

I also had the opportunity to see the 2004 EVO yesterday. It had LEATHER interior. This was a Huge difference in look/quality. It looked 1000% better then the 03. The dash, guages, radio, console was exactly the same. But now the price was the same as the STI. $32,500.
Old Jun 26, 2004 | 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vin11
OK. Alot of you have taken my point and turned it around. I was not making a direct comparison to the porsche interms of quality nor was I saying that I did not like the EVO. However, these automobiles are my point of refrence for this comparison.
I agree that this thread has turned mostly into a bashing session for people with views that differ with yours. I know where you are coming from, though. The first time I drove an E46 M3 I was most decidedly underwhelmed. From all the rave reviews and mystique surrounding the car, I was expecting to be blown away. But I wasn't. My reacton was, "Ho hum, another slick luxury car". I didn't like how quiet it was, how cushy the leather was, and how isolated I felt from the exhaust note. It was very quick, and handled nicely, but I felt that it was perhaps too refined, at least for me. Does that mean the $55,000 M3 is a bad car? Of course not. But it felt more than a little ostentatious, a trait that always makes me feel uncomfortable.

It sounds like interior quality is important to you. No argument from most of us Evo owners: the Evo has a very plain and inexpensive interior. Mitsubishi has a long way to go to even come close to emulating what Acrua and Audi are doing nowadays in this department.

The best observation from the car magazines came from the comment in Car & Driver about how instantly comfortable the reviewers were when driving the car very fast. They did so almost immediately, as the Evo has few vices that have to be minded when running at ten tenths. I believe that this is what Mitsubishi nailed so well -- a car that can go fast and reward the driver with supreme confidence. Sure there are faster cars, there are cars that have more luxury, and there are cars that even handle better. But the Evo puts it all together very well in an affordable package. What I keep marvelling about the Evo is that it is a true driver's car. It rewards you with all the visceral inputs that define that single-minded purpose. The exhaust growls, the tires squeal, the transmission whines, and the world rushes by in a unique way caused by the excellent seating position and outstanding sight lines that the car provides. It's hard to describe, but for those that value the pleasures of just driving for the sake of driving, the Evo is a remarkable vehicle.

Just like your relationship with a girl, you really can't know a car really well until you have had it for a while and can begin to appreciate its nuances. Sometimes that works out for the best, and other times you realize that little things end up grating on you.

The STi is an outstanding car, and anyone who professes to be an automotive enthusiast would tell you that. I'm sure that I would be happy with one, though the juvenile hood scoop and wing give me pause. But that is just me. I wish you luck on your search. I'm convinced that there is a car out there that will ultimately give you the satisfaction that you crave. It might be an STi, or it might be an S4. We can't tell you what is best, only what we know.

Last edited by Lee_K; Jun 26, 2004 at 06:43 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2004 | 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

the only problem with the sti is that it has horrible understeer, the evo although underpowered still beats it on the racetrack. you might want to wait until the new MR comes more power (larger turbo) and even better handling than the current model (thanks to the ACD and blisteins shocks)

Quick Reply: First Drive EVO VIII - Not blown away