Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

First Drive EVO VIII - Not blown away

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2004, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
... I test drove one back in November of last year, and like vin11 wasn't really all that impressed. Sure, the car felt quick, and sure it had great brakes, but it just didn't really jive with me. Fast forward to the present ... decided to take the plunge in April. Here's some highlights:

- The day I drove it home, my buddy and I put about 200 miles on it, decided to take an interstate 270 degree ramp at speed ... ended up with an exit speed just shy of triple digits.
- After a couple of weeks of driving my Evo, my A8 is starting to feel like it drives like a bloated whale and is relegated to being mostly garage bound.
- After clearing the break-in period I start to explore what the car can do .... it is very fast and, unlike any car I've ever driven before, completely stable at ALL speeds. None of that "floaty" feeling you get in other cars.
- Recently upgraded to a Vishnu Stage 1 (+25% power) ... the car has gone from being fast to being ridiculously fast. See an open spot in traffic? The car gets there RIGHT NOW!! The car is actually so fast right now, that it is impossible (aka foolish) to explore it's limits on public roads.
- Last, but not least, the handling and brakes ... I could drone on and on about this topic, but, in a word, both handling and braking are jaw-dropping
WERD!
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was more "awed" than "wowed" on my initial test drive. The selling point was testing a 25 mph circular off ramp. I gunned it halfway out. I was getting slammed into my door. The car kept accelerating while going in the direction it was aimed at. I never felt the car drifting sideways nor did I hear any tires squeal. I eventually merged at 80+mph. Right then, the drive went from "awed" to "wowed".

If you're still thinking about an EVO, then you need to find a local EVO member for a ride.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:07 PM

get into your cayenne and drive away ..do not ever try or attempt to drive a barebone car again, and don't get out of the sandbox..you need a car that can tell you how to drive and compensate for your poor driving, not a car that you HAVE TO command and tell it how to drive..
car was jumpy ??
gears were short??gimme a break..since when owning expensive cars is a quality or a skill...
as for your questions yes we are happy with our cars.. we drive it because we are not driving it for the interior nor the cushiony seats...
we are driving it because it gives us the ultimate possible control over a car and driving pleasure..we are driving it because we still would be driving it even without an interior but a roll cage..
man evo may not have blown you away but your post blew me away...
Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

man, why are you guys going nuts over a personal opinion?? stupid.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

How short of a first gear is it? to 35mph? 45mph?
Old Jun 29, 2004, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Guys, comparing 911's and Evos is like comparing apples to oranges. NOTHING compares to the build quality of a Porsche, except MB and Lexus. 911's are true GT cars meant for touring-fast touring. Evo's are crude, nervous, short wheelbase, hair trigger machines. Response to input is immediate and can scare an incompetent or unsuspecting pilot. They handle completely differently in every respect due to awd vs. rwd, weight distribution, power curve, etc. There has not been a car like the EVO (STI excepted) since people grey marketed the Renault R5 turbos in the eighties. Guess what? Those were rally cars as well.

Hands down, Evo's are the best bang for the buck car on the planet. Check the stats. Most cars that better an Evo in any given perfomance category will cost twice as much. I am willing to give up power windows, locks, etc to get that extra 1/2 sec. to 60 in my RS. With four doors, I can still haul the kids around.

If I want leather and dual zone climate, I'll take my wife's Volvo. If I want to embarass a lot of people, I'll take the Evo to the next Porsche Club driver's ed and lap everything but the newest turbos and GT3's.

Evo's rule!

Last edited by dsmythe2; Jun 29, 2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Guys, comparing 911's and Evos is like comparing apples to oranges. NOTHING
Hands down, Evo's are the best bang for the buck car on the planet. Check the stats. Most cars that better an Evo in any given perfomance category will cost twice as much. I am willing to give up power windows, locks, etc to get that extra 1/2 sec. to 60 in my RS. With four doors, I can still haul the kids around.

If I want leather and dual zone climate, I'll take my wife's Volvo. If I want to embarass a lot of people, I'll take the Evo to the next Porsche Club driver's ed and lap everything but the newest turbos and GT3's.

Evo's rule!

That My word to your mother