Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo weight reduction ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they sure would...and help kill you quicker!
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:27 PM
Account Disabled

best way to get rid of 50 pounds of ugly weight is to cut off your head.....
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

well, i only drive a regular old lancer but ive done some pretty major reductions. for starters, my cars curb weight is 2656lbs. it now weighs 2300lbs. ive stripped my trunk, taken out all the carpeting (weighs 50lbs!), all the sound deadening material inside and outside the firewall, fiberglass hood and front bumper, 11lb rims, removed the washer fluid tank, front crash bar and other safety crap up front, and my bolt ons are much lighter than the stock parts. id say i kinda went overkill........oh well!
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

sell viii, buy rs
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
sell viii, buy rs
here here!
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FRP doors !!
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the AC stuff weights 60+ lbs. You can always remove all the smog stuff, like the charcoal canister, EGR, and all the associated vacuum lines if smog is not a concern to you. Change all windows from glass to lexan. Build fiberglass or carbon fiber doors. Carbon fiber all your suspension arms, driveshaft, axles. After you've spent all this money, you might as well go buy a porsche 911 turbo.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 02:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by black evil evo
In my quest to make my evo as fast as possible I have been thinking about making it lighter. I have done a few things :

Buschur exhaust

Mini Battery

Remove spare tire and jack

Are there any other good ways to shed weight? I want to keep a/c and all seats.
Buschur exhaust is heavy compare to the greddy ti, or hks carbon ti! other than stripe the trunk. since u want to keep ur back seats in... you can stripe the back and keep the seats in.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Take a big hit of helium before your run...
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
the only other thing that other people haven't mentioned is carbon fiber fenders, and there are weight savings from replacing the hood, i don' t know why people say it's pointless the apexi evo saves almost 8 pounds and with a varis hood you can save almost 6. and don't run low on fuel if you're gonna take any turns, the fuel tank is shaped like a saddle and you'll get really bad fuel starve and destroy something.

if you want a list of stuff you can replace (not remove) to save weight

battery, fenders, bumper(s), hood, trunklid, wing, wheels, tires, brakes, coilovers, front strut tower bar, radiator, intercooler piping, exhaust, racing seats, drive shaft, flywheel, pullies (not recommended), and all interior paneling can be replaced with cf pieces from tado. and i think i didn't forget anything.

biggest bangs will be seats, if you actually spend 2gs a seat you can shave 20 pounds per seat. exhaust is at least 20 pounds more if you get ti (keep in mind there are a lot of fake ti systems out there, jic and greddy make the only real ones i know of that aren't japan only). trunk lid will save you almost 15 pounds if you get the best (all american motorsports) but about 10 if you get a varis. replacing the front bumper with a gialla piece will force you to remove a bumper beam so net you about 15 pounds. wheels can save you about 5 pounds a wheel, ce28 in 17x9 is 14.6 pounds a wheel. don't spend money on light wheels and get heavy tires, get some nice rubber (basically don't get heavy falkens). you already did battery and that's a huge one up to 20 pounds. all the other mods are tiny weight savings that will add up, maybe with all the other stuff done that i listed you can shave another 20 pounds. and remember i didn't list anything to remove cept the bumper frame, so there's much more there.

Last edited by trinydex; Aug 19, 2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Unless you're building a full-time track car, 100 pounds or so isn't worth the loss. If you're intent on a full-time track car, there is a lot of weight that can go, but keep in mind the weight distribution as well as reduction.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Go with bolt ons. Unless you own HKS forget about lightening the car.

Option one: Full Carbon Fiber Shell and stripped interior and accessories (ex. power steering)

Option 2:It is going to cost you a 1000 bucks just for the cat back to lose 25lbs. That is only netting you maybe 1/10th of a second tops. Imagine thats the best weight reduction in a single part minus the spare tire. Then removal or AC ( only if you live in Alaska ). Then you get another 25 or 30 lbs. Then remove the rear and front passenger seat and carpeting for another 25 lbs. Now you had to get rid of the rear trunk and front hood with Carbon fiber and put in lexan windows (now you cant roll down windows or get ac. You can put a 3 or 4 inch bilge blower for air and connect it the battery. Only draws 3.4 amps. You can get also lightened flywheel and cluck with lightened pulley. All for around 1500 installed. Then get lighter wheels and tires of smaller diameter to rev faster and quicker, cost 1000 for used possible. Then get rid of front dash and power steering assembly. Your diet has netted about 220 lbs? All that can be gained by having an extra passenger. So not worth it for the street.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
why does everyone talk about weight savings like it's only good for drag racing? it's so much better for handling... especially if you keep weight distro in mind.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

Go test drive an RS and see if it is worth it. Most likely you will change your mind
about going all out on the weight for a daily driver
Old Aug 20, 2004, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Peazoo
Go test drive an RS and see if it is worth it. Most likely you will change your mind
about going all out on the weight for a daily driver
did u test drive an RS? if u did, please let us know. i am thinking of getting one.

Quick Reply: Evo weight reduction ideas