Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: My question is should I keep the S2000 and fabricate a rollbar or buy an EvoVIII?
Keep S2000 and fabricate a rollbar
21.43%
Trade on for an EvoVIII
78.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Honda S2000, Keep or replace with an EvoVIII

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2002, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Honda S2000, Keep or replace with an EvoVIII

Hello All,
I currently own an S2000 and enjoy it very much. However, I have a huge problem with it. It doesn't have a roof! At first I thought that was good, now it’s a pain in my ***! I am an avid driving school attendee. I did events with my Mitsubishi Eclipse for years. I started in autocross and ended up in driving schools. Well when I bought the S2000, it was permitted on a track near me (VIR). Then a miata went off course late last year and the track tightened down on its restrictions for convertibles. Now I have to have a rollbar fabricated for the S2000. After months of research and talking with other owners, putting a rollbar in the S2000 will basically tear apart the interior and ruin the car. There is no clean way to install a rollbar like the miata and it would have to be custom fabricated because there is no aftermarket rollbar available. Now all I can do with the S2000 is autocross. Not being able to take the S2000 to the track is killing me.

My question is should I keep the S2000 and fabricate a rollbar and take the depreciation hit or trade it in for an EvoVIII with a roof? I'm not a fan of four door cars, but I think I can make an exception for this one.

Thanks,
smanders
Attached Thumbnails Honda S2000, Keep or replace with an EvoVIII-frontend.jpg  
Old Oct 2, 2002, 03:28 AM
Evolving Member

Oops....you can move this to the General Evo Forum.
Old Oct 2, 2002, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Bro I'd Trade It For An Evo VIII, Looking At Your Situation Now No Use Of Getting A Rollbar If Yer Just Going To Mess Up The Interior. Bottom Line Get The Evo VIII

Last edited by LancerEvoMR; Oct 2, 2002 at 05:31 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2002, 05:11 AM

Is selling the Pathfinder an option??? LOL

That would be a dream come true......an EVO lined up to a S2000 in my garage.....

(Back to Reality)

I'd say test drive the EVO before you even make a choice. The EVO suspension is great, but that doesn't garantee you'll like it. Personally I don't know anyone who wouldn't like to own an EVO, but strange things can happen....

Keep us informed of your decision.

Almost forgot, NICE CAR!!!!!
Old Oct 2, 2002, 05:21 AM

that is a very nice honda s2000

I agree with MRT_27, test drive it first.
Old Oct 2, 2002, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

I'd say Mugen-ify the S2K but that's just me. Probably need to keep in mind the S2K is a very different animal than the Evo. For one, you're revving the Honda into the stratophere for pull and a VTEC change while on the Evo, it's more brute force down in the lower RPM's for decent pull. Also, the different characteristics between the RWD and AWD trannies are something to think about. If it's an option, can you get the hardtop addition for the S2K and have that instead of the rollbar?
Old Oct 2, 2002, 05:54 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Man, that's rough. If I were you though, I would have a rollbar in either car... Evo or S2000. Anything can happen at any time. Last year an M3 flipped at Summit Point and my friend was instructing. The roof completely caved in and the car was flat! Luckily both the driver and instructor made it out ok because they only had 3pt belts on... they were smooshed in the car sideways, but ok. I don't think the Evo will get you out of the rollbar situation in the end. I say, go for the rollbar and track that sucker!

Mark
Old Oct 2, 2002, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

I put in a vote for you to trade to an EVO because of obvious reasons but what about other cars out there?

There is the Nissan 350Z which is hot and the ultra sexy Infiniti G35 coupe is coming out soon. Both are really nice and capable cars on the track.
Also the Mazda RX-8 coming out next spring even though has some funky styling will probably make a great track car.
Don't forget the Subaru WRX Sti will be here next year too.
Old Oct 2, 2002, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

ever since S2000s came out ive wanted one, if i had the choice between the 2 id prolly keep the honda, seems like it would be more fun to drive. and even though you cant go to the track with the convertable, you still can have it down whenever you drive on the streets. and racing at tracks is a waste of money, keep it on the streets, its more fun there anyways, just dont die in a wreck or something bad like that
Old Oct 2, 2002, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep the S2000 and put in a turbo kit. you can get one from Speedcraft, but they're expensive $6000.

Oh yeah, get a carbonfiber hood and hardtop.
Old Oct 2, 2002, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

what are you talking about???? when i had my SC'd S2k (RIP) last year there were about 3 major name rool bars out for the S2k

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/produ...00/safety.html

heres another

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=53959

but either way i like the performance aspects of the EVO more, it has the ability to be comfy unlike the S2k, plus the EVO has power to boot
Old Oct 2, 2002, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

drop the mid life crisis mobile and evolve. What did you expect at evolutionm.net?
Old Oct 2, 2002, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

i personally like the s200, it's a player's car, and in warm weather you just drop the top and cruise for the ladies. lol
Old Oct 2, 2002, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

dont get me wrong . . . the evo III is a really really good car too . . . it's a hard decision.
Old Oct 2, 2002, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Are you married??? If not sell the Pathfinder...keep S2000 for cruisin with the women...buy the EVO VII for serious racing on the tracks on the weekend. My girl will not ride in my EVO..says it too loud and I can't seem to just "cruise" for any long period of time. I think I've scared the sh** out of her too many times...

Quick Reply: Honda S2000, Keep or replace with an EvoVIII